My Strange Speaker Setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Strange Speaker Setup

Mark of Cenla
11-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a pair of Boston Acoustics T 1000 speakers, which I have always been statisfied with. They have a tweeter, 5" mid-bass, and two 8" woofers. Over time the woofers died, and I did not have the bucks to buy four replacement woofers. So I bought two good woofers from Parts Express and put one in each cabinet. I never could get the balance right between the drivers. So this is what I did.

The signal comes out of the TV, etc. into a JVC receiver which powers a pair of Polk RTi4's . I connected my Hafler preamp and AudioSource Model One/A power amp to the "record out" from the JVC receiver. The preamp/power amp combo powers the big Bostons, which I use as subwoofers since I disconnected the tweeters and mid-basses. I have complete control over the balance between the Polks and the subs.

This only works because most of the time we use the TV remote to change the volume. The volume controls on the JVC receiver and the preamp usually stay the same unless I am listening to CDs. Then I change them to the desired volume. This setup sounds great for TV and DVDs. For listening to music, it is good, but the JVC reciever does not sound really good (no suprise there). So that is my strange setup. Peace.

:16:

jim goulding
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Mark. Does Cenla stand for Central Louisiana? Can't say that I get up there much and I can't get my wife to visit New Orleans with me since all that mess. Best FM radio known to me and that includes both coasts. Best Tower Records, too, but I know that's gone. Probably 15 treasured pounds that I've since lost were gained in some fabulous NO bistros. I miss it. Anyway, sounds like you're an innovative type dude. Be sure you join in the camaraderie here. It's entertaining and can be informative.

Mark of Cenla
11-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Yep, Cenla means central Louisiana. I go to The Big Easy a few times a year (it is a three hour drive from here). Next weekend we will be going there to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which I am rather stoked about. Peace.

Mark of Cenla
01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra was a great concert, and my strange speaker setup is about to change. We now have two Insignia receivers that we bought from Best Buy. They sound better than the JVC receiver, which crapped out in one channel. One Insignia drives the mains, and the other drives the subs.

I am going to turn the old Bostons around and install fullrange 8" drivers, which will become the mains. So the subs will face the back. Both a main and a sub will be in each cabinet, and the amp setup will remain the same. I am psyched about this because I tried out some small fullrange speakers with the subs, and it sounded great. Peace.