How could someone damage the speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How could someone damage the speakers?

Tetsuro
11-01-2007, 02:55 AM
I have a very unstable amp and I'm worried to have damaged the speakers. Yesterday I heard an incredibly powerful 'BVUUUF'.
Could I have damaged the speakers? I heard it two times (the amplifier sounded for 10 seconds then 'BVUUUF' until I turned off, then I have repeated the sequence and same problem).

Do you think that I will have to change the speakers (Tannoy F2) with the amps? Or are they strong enough to sustain those 'cracks'? :(

markw
11-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Get that amp fixed. It's broken.

The speakers most likely survived for now but I wouldn't push my luck and keep playing it.

But, you really won't know for sure about the speakers health until you use them with a properly functioning amp.

jim goulding
11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Milan, Italy. Welcome. Having said that . . are you crazy? Fix that amp or buy a new one immediately. I know there must be some exotic stuff on the used market in Italia. Take Mark's advice. Actually, you should first isolate the problem if you can. Bon appetite!

Florian
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I picked up my Apogee Grand's in Milano too :18:

Tetsuro
11-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Yes I think that in December I will buy a new amplifier... probably the Nad 325. The problem is the speakers... I would be forever in anxiety for these even if they sound correct. I just want to change them too and put mine anxiety to past. It's that I do not want do decide recklessly... they sounded good. :(

The story so far... I had unplesant white noise from mine amplifier so someone suggested to spray some liquid (special liquid for electric contacts) to the 'potentiometer'. I have done it but I sprayed even the transistors and everything beside the toroidal transformer. Then it happened what you know...

Warren Peck
11-04-2007, 12:06 AM
I have a very unstable amp and I'm worried to have damaged the speakers. Yesterday I heard an incredibly powerful 'BVUUUF'.
Could I have damaged the speakers? I heard it two times (the amplifier sounded for 10 seconds then 'BVUUUF' until I turned off, then I have repeated the sequence and same problem).

Do you think that I will have to change the speakers (Tannoy F2) with the amps? Or are they strong enough to sustain those 'cracks'? :(

The easiest way to damage any speakers is to UNDER power them. An amplifier driven into clipping will damage speakers far more often than anything other than children or intoxicated party guests physically assaulting them. I hope they are okay, and get your amp checked out. Ci sentiamo piu tardi!