why protect stay on? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : why protect stay on?

Diann171
02-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I have a problem with my sony receiver str-de335 the protect pop up when I turn the unit on is there a why to stop this from happening? Also it pop a little fire while the protect was on, but the unit still comes on and does the same thing but I can't any sound from it cause of the protect comes up.

joel2762
02-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Do you mean it catches on fire??.....These recievers only power speakers with 8-16 ohm ratings...What is the impeadance on your speakers?

This Guy
02-27-2004, 05:27 PM
i doubt its your speakers. The amp is shorting out, check all of your speaker cables and keep the + and - wires from touching each other. Keep doing this and the amp will fry.

markw
02-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Pyrotecnics are usually the death knell of electronics.

As the others said, check your speaker wires to be sure bare wires don't touch each other anywhere.

If that's all well and good and it still doesn't work, then it's time to get it sercviced.

spacedeckman
02-27-2004, 06:46 PM
If it is under warranty, get it fixed. If it is out, buy a real receiver. Not a Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, or something like that. The few dollars more that a Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, or h/k will run you won't be noticed a decade from now.

That is a real common Sony problem.