Walmart Sub $99 HD DVD Toshiba HD A2 Walmart Deal 11/2/07 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Sub $99 HD DVD Toshiba HD A2 Walmart Deal 11/2/07

drseid
11-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Big news to all HD DVD prospective buyers (including current BR users who want to watch the rest of the movies available on HD DVD only)...

Walmart has outdone themself. This Friday (11/2) they have a special from 8 AM to Noon that all Toshiba HD DVD HD-A2 players are being sold for $98.87!

Guess who is returning their Amazon order today and then lining up at Walmart tomorrow to buy a few for friends and family at the holidays. ;-)

This is an amazing price, so all you fence sitters can stop waiting now (because the risk at that price is pretty low and you still get a pretty good DVD player to boot).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they also are selling sub $15.00 HD DVDs during the same sale...

Link is below:

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret&utm_source=Walmartcom&utm_medium=POV1&utm_content=secret1&utm_campaign=holiday&povid=cat14503-env15844-module117144-lLink1

---Dave

GMichael
11-01-2007, 05:01 AM
Killer deal. Makes me wonder what the prices will be in January.

kexodusc
11-01-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm guessing that old stock is non-existant by January and the prices are higher.
Though I remember last year we saw them on for $175 Canadian on blowout (think it was the A1 model).

Damn, we don't get that deal up my way and I'm nowhere near a US Walmart that caries them (I called 4 in Maine). I'm guessing these are in major centers only :(

I have some uncles in Chicago and Atlanta...but they have jobs between 8 am and noon...

Still gonna wait it out I think - eventually there'll be better players for cheaper and I'll have a better idea where the industry's going. 2007's been a mediocre movie year for my tastes so there's not a lot of titles I'm in a hurry to get in HD. Spiderman, Transformers, and 300 possibly being the exceptions. VOD is satisfying my HD needs for now...

Too busy playing xbox 360 anyway :)

Good deal for a few of you guys here though.

L.J.
11-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Well, looks like I'll be going neutral a little earlier than I expected. For 1 hun, I can't pass it up. It'll make a nice temp unit for my main system, and I'll move it to another room if I ever upgrade.

GMichael
11-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Just a little extra to sweeten the deal?

http://thelookandsoundofperfect.com/_pdf/perfect_hd_dvd_offer_redemption_form.pdf

GMichael
11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
How do we find out of the store near us is supporting this sale?

bobsticks
11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Hhmmnn. I wonder if this means that WM is getting rid of old stock or getting rid of all of its HD-DVD players. Either way, I'll probably pop in and see if I can't snag one---I already own some HDs and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra player.

...still won't stop me from getting a Blu-Ray though.

DEVO
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Is this "deja vu"... anyone remember last years Panasonic plasma that Wally World priced at $999.99 and everyone had to price match. Only thing...they had limited amounts, but everyone else was crushed and nobody made any money. This was great for the consumer, but terrible for the electronic economy. Many businesses were destroyed because of this. It sounds very attractive, but when it is over...nobody wins! I hope that I'm wrong, and that the software is the place that margin is gained.

GMichael
11-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Best Buy wasn't far behind. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1583233 25814

CC should be next.

Groundbeef
11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Is this "deja vu"... anyone remember last years Panasonic plasma that Wally World priced at $999.99 and everyone had to price match. Only thing...they had limited amounts, but everyone else was crushed and nobody made any money. This was great for the consumer, but terrible for the electronic economy. Many businesses were destroyed because of this. It sounds very attractive, but when it is over...nobody wins! I hope that I'm wrong, and that the software is the place that margin is gained.

Wow, where to begin.

1. No one "Had to match Wal-Mart". Retailers that stocked the same model had the option to match, but no one was forced to match. I guess that margins on that product were squeezed, but that 1 specific model didn't affect the entire market.

2. As a consumer I don't give a rats ass about the "electronic economy". I will pay what I feel is fair. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, nor do I shop at boutique electroic shops. If I had the money I probably would shop the latter, but only for speakers and higher end gear not sold at mass retailers. But then again, maybe not. I was kinda soured on the "boutique" idea when I solicited a bid to wire up my home under construction. No drywall up, just sticks. Needed 3 rooms wired up, less than 500' of wire for the total job. Nothing fancy, no equipment. Just labor, and wire for hanging. $3000 for the bid. I passed.

If this is the reason small shops are going out of business then perhaps they SHOULD go away.

3. Business' are not "destroyed" by Wal-Mart. There are plenty of ways to beat the giant. If you want to do it on price, you probably will lose. If you do it on service, and don't expect triple digit margins, you will probably be ok. No one HAS to stock the same models as everyone else.

Downward price pressue IS good for consumers. It's the American Way.

bobsticks
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Beef. You'd think sometimes from the talk 'round these parts that this was a country of farmer's markets, Amish cabinet makers, and lemonade stands being stomped out by the venal and vile Big Business Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man...

kexodusc
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks Beef. You'd think sometimes from the talk 'round these parts that this was a country of farmer's markets, Amish cabinet makers, and lemonade stands being stomped out by the venal and vile Big Business Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man...
Yeah, everyone hates Wal-Mart until they sell something ya want....then we all go crawling back with our heads held in shame...
Good luck to all you shoppers...and if anyone happens to buy an extra HD-DVD player tomorrow, PM me :cornut:

GMichael
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, everyone hates Wal-Mart until they sell something ya want....then we all go crawling back with our heads held in shame...
Good luck to all you shoppers...and if anyone happens to buy an extra HD-DVD player tomorrow, PM me :cornut:

I just got back from BB. Their website said that one of our local locations had stock. I ordered it on-line for in-store pick-up.

They didn't really have any.:(

L.J.
11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I just got back from BB. Their website said that one of our local locations had stock. I ordered it on-line for in-store pick-up.

They didn't really have any.:(

What, so you got screwed?

GMichael
11-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Without so much as even a peck on the cheek.

L.J.
11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Without so much as even a peck on the cheek.

I'm starting to think my Walmart may not have any either. I've only seen one player there in the past. Not 2 or 3.....just 1. Sitting on a little shelf all by itself :nonod:

GMichael
11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
They getcha with the ol "while supplies last" comment.

They can keep it now. Still waiting on the PS3 deal.

DEVO
11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow, where to begin.

1. No one "Had to match Wal-Mart". Retailers that stocked the same model had the option to match, but no one was forced to match. I guess that margins on that product were squeezed, but that 1 specific model didn't affect the entire market.

2. As a consumer I don't give a rats ass about the "electronic economy". I will pay what I feel is fair. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, nor do I shop at boutique electroic shops. If I had the money I probably would shop the latter, but only for speakers and higher end gear not sold at mass retailers. But then again, maybe not. I was kinda soured on the "boutique" idea when I solicited a bid to wire up my home under construction. No drywall up, just sticks. Needed 3 rooms wired up, less than 500' of wire for the total job. Nothing fancy, no equipment. Just labor, and wire for hanging. $3000 for the bid. I passed.

If this is the reason small shops are going out of business then perhaps they SHOULD go away.

3. Business' are not "destroyed" by Wal-Mart. There are plenty of ways to beat the giant. If you want to do it on price, you probably will lose. If you do it on service, and don't expect triple digit margins, you will probably be ok. No one HAS to stock the same models as everyone else.

Downward price pressue IS good for consumers. It's the American Way.

So laying off people is what you concider the american way of life...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/WalMartEffectStrikesAgain.aspx

I don't, and refuse to shop at Wally World. I used to be a custom designer years ago...now I shop at either Best Buy, Sound Advice, or Circuit City for my electronic needs. I don't really need help from any sales people, so I'll just pick my product and move on. But to shop at a place that purposely is trying to damage the balance of the local economy...I don't know???

GMichael
11-01-2007, 01:49 PM

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/WalMartEffectStrikesAgain.aspx

I don't, and refuse to shop at Wally World. I used to be a custom designer years ago...now I shop at either Best Buy, Sound Advice, or Circuit City for my electronic needs. I don't really need help from any sales people, so I'll just pick my product and move on. But to shop at a place that purposely is trying to damage the balance of the local economy...I don't know???

Just say no to Best Buy!

Groundbeef
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Oh, I see Mr. Holier Than Thou, you musta missed the Memo from Circuit City about 5 months ago when they FIRED thousands of their "Top Selling" sales staff. Reason: "They Make Too Much". But don't feel bad for them, they were all offered the "option" to re-apply at minimum wage, and crippled commision rates. Now that's FAMILY!!!!!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/34133

Good thing you "don't need sales people", another economy, all American Value there!

And, as I stated in my post, I DONT SHOP WALMART. But you musta been too exicted thinking about getting your next deal at the electronics store that hands out pink slips like candy to notice.

So when you get your head either out of the sand, or your ass, let me know. Then we will talk about the "Wal-Mart Effect".

drseid
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm starting to think my Walmart may not have any either. I've only seen one player there in the past. Not 2 or 3.....just 1. Sitting on a little shelf all by itself :nonod:

Many stores have stacks of them (and pictures are all over the web). That said, every store may have different inventory. I am hoping mine in Northern Virginia has plenty tomorrow morning... We will see.

---Dave

DEVO
11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh, I see Mr. Holier Than Thou, you musta missed the Memo from Circuit City about 5 months ago when they FIRED thousands of their "Top Selling" sales staff. Reason: "They Make Too Much". But don't feel bad for them, they were all offered the "option" to re-apply at minimum wage, and crippled commision rates. Now that's FAMILY!!!!!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/34133

Good thing you "don't need sales people", another economy, all American Value there!

And, as I stated in my post, I DONT SHOP WALMART. But you musta been too exicted thinking about getting your next deal at the electronics store that hands out pink slips like candy to notice.

So when you get your head either out of the sand, or your ass, let me know. Then we will talk about the "Wal-Mart Effect".

I don't think that I'm holier than thou, I just do my own research...I just don't get sold (hey I was in sales), I like to make my own assessment on the products.

Circuit City will always try to keep up w/ the Jones'. Hence Best Buy! When they Layed the 1st group off five years ago for the same reason. It is to reduce cost, and lower quality of service. Unfortunetely, their stock quote has always gone down.

Right now, I will probably get it at Sound Advice...and hope that they have it in stock. I'm sure that they will price match. It's everywhere now! I would rather give them the $$$

nightflier
11-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, if you change your mind after buying it, these are selling for $150-ish on eBay, heck you could double your money. If you throw in the 5 free DVDs from GM's link, you certainly won't loose any money. If anything, you'll get to see 5 movies in all their HD glory and still come out ahead. If you don't mind shopping at Wallmart, it's pretty hard to pass this one up.

PeruvianSkies
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, if you change your mind after buying it, these are selling for $150-ish on eBay, heck you could double your money. If you throw in the 5 free DVDs from GM's link, you certainly won't loose any money. If anything, you'll get to see 5 movies in all their HD glory and still come out ahead. If you don't mind shopping at Wallmart, it's pretty hard to pass this one up.

So I wonder if this is A. desperate attempt to equal out the battle or B. a smart move to integrate most people into the format and attract Trailer Bob into the HD format to watch on his matching 42" Fony HDTV. Yes, I said Fony.

pixelthis
11-01-2007, 11:22 PM
People can be so myopic.
A player is just a small part of an investment in a format.
I have spent over 1500$ in various DVD players over the years and thousands in
dvds.
Makes a "great " dvd player, so does my computer.
What happens a year or so down the road when theres no HDDVD to be found,
you finally caved and got a blu ray (because nothing was on HDDVD) and this thing is just taking up shelf space?
BTW what kexodisc was saying about VOD, well, kex, welcome to the future, while these two nimrod format groups are duking it out more and more are participating is the biggest sea change since the advent of digital, the death of rental stores.
Its just so much easier to hit a button and order a movie, why go out and rent one?
This is limited now but wont be for long.
AND finally has no one noticed that the Blu Ray group is absent from this spree of cost cutting? Do they seem concerned? Doesnt the fact that there is a chasm of silence
coming from their side seem a bit ominous?
They don't care about a 99$ HDDVD player, the market for those is the same guys who bought "discovision" (RCA'S capacitance based videodisc player) during closeout because it was "such a great deal" in the mid eighties.
They don't have to sell their player for firesale prices, because they are the future
and they know it.
Why spend 99 bucks on something just to see transformers?:1:

drseid
11-02-2007, 01:18 AM
you finally caved and got a blu ray (because nothing was on HDDVD) and this thing is just taking up shelf space?
BTW what kexodisc was saying about VOD, well, kex, welcome to the future, while these two nimrod format groups are duking it out more and more are participating is the biggest sea change since the advent of digital, the death of rental stores.
Its just so much easier to hit a button and order a movie, why go out and rent one?
AND finally has no one noticed that the Blu Ray group is absent from this spree of cost cutting? They don't have to sell their player for firesale prices, because they are the future
and they know it.

First off, I thought you just said VOD was the future Pixel... did I misunderstand?

As for the cost cutting... last time I checked the new model of the PS3 was going down to $399 (and you know it has to cost more to make than an HD A2, right?). As you said yourself, it is more than hardware sales... Toshiba and Walmart understand this well. They sell thousands of A2s at steep discounts and then rake in the profits the holiday shopping season and next year on software sales. Not a bad model to my way of thinking.

Finally, I am buying 4 of them for friends and family... and I *hate* Transformers. ;-)

---Dave

GMichael
11-02-2007, 05:33 AM

Wifey just called. Our Wally World has stacks and stacks of these available. She picked mine up already.

Screw BB.

GMichael
11-02-2007, 05:36 AM
People can be so myopic.
A player is just a small part of an investment in a format.
I have spent over 1500$ in various DVD players over the years and thousands in
dvds.
Makes a "great " dvd player, so does my computer.
AND finally has no one noticed that the Blu Ray group is absent from this spree of cost cutting? Do they seem concerned? Doesnt the fact that there is a chasm of silence
coming from their side seem a bit ominous?
They don't care about a 99$ HDDVD player, the market for those is the same guys who bought "discovision" (RCA'S capacitance based videodisc player) during closeout because it was "such a great deal" in the mid eighties.
They don't have to sell their player for firesale prices, because they are the future
and they know it.

For $99 it makes a good DVD player with upscalling. Even if (or when) HD-DVD dies, I can use it in one of my other two HT set ups.
Don't worry, I still plan on getting that PS3.

kexodusc
11-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Wifey just called. Our Wally World has stacks and stacks of these available. She picked mine up already.

Screw BB.
Nice! (said in a jealous, envious tone)...

GMichael
11-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Nice! (said in a jealous, envious tone)...

Thank you sir. (he said with a puffed out chest and big grin)

Groundbeef
11-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Thank you sir. (he said with a puffed out chest and big grin)

Settle down Bevis!

With that one purchase at Wally World, you put 2 US workers out of a job. You should have bought at CC where the sales guy only recently got re-hired at a signifcant wage reduction. Or better yet, bought it at a "Boutique" and helped finance the new boat the owner has had his eye on since his last custom install.:nonod:

GMichael
11-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Settle down Bevis!

With that one purchase at Wally World, you put 2 US workers out of a job. You should have bought at CC where the sales guy only recently got re-hired at a signifcant wage reduction. Or better yet, bought it at a "Boutique" and helped finance the new boat the owner has had his eye on since his last custom install.:nonod:

Nice tongue in cheek.

I don't want to put anyone out of business. I went to BB first. They shot me down. CC was only price matching until BB ran out. My choices were snipped down to one. In fact, I was ready to give up on the player all together. It was wifey's idea to pick it up anyhow. (I think she wants a new cell phone and is trying to soften me up. This will make 4 phones in the last 2 years)

Groundbeef
11-02-2007, 06:36 AM
It was wifey's idea to pick it up anyhow. (I think she wants a new cell phone and is trying to soften me up. This will make 4 phones in the last 2 years)

4 phones? What is she doing to them? Wearing them out calling you to add to the "Honey-Do" list?

bobsticks
11-02-2007, 06:42 AM
They had sold out right as I got there. I mean right as I got there. I saw a lady wheeling a cart with five of them through the parking lot and I knew I was sunk, nothing but a plastic pallet on the floor. My fault for waiting until 9:30 to go in. Easy come, easy go. Moving on...

drseid
11-02-2007, 06:43 AM
I am hoping mine in Northern Virginia has plenty tomorrow morning... We will see.

---Dave

Got to Walmart at 7:20 and already there were a lot of folks there in wait. They had an allocation of 30 (that were not on display... kept in the warehouse) and limited purchases to 1 per person. I was person number 28. :-) The rest sold out in two minutes after I arrived. Left Walmart with one in-hand at 8:15.

---Dave

GMichael
11-02-2007, 07:00 AM
4 phones? What is she doing to them? Wearing them out calling you to add to the "Honey-Do" list?

Phone one was great until:
This one is much smaller. That's better for me. (she's 4' 7" ) Enter phone number 2.
This one takes pictures. Enter phone number 3.
This one has a keyboard for texting. Enter phone number 4.
I don't know what this new one does. She called me from the store to tell me how she picked up the HD-DVD player (that we agreed to not buy the night before) and that she loves this new phone she found.

Duh.... She's just lucky that I love the way she does that thing with her... uh,...:idea:
nevermind.:ihih:

L.J.
11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
LJ in da house!!!!!

I got the 2nd to last one.

With 3 HDTV's in the house, I can get plenty of use out of this player.

GMichael
11-02-2007, 07:56 AM
LJ in da house!!!!!

I got the 2nd to last one.

With 3 HDTV's in the house, I can get plenty of use out of this player.

HA....

Did you get the one with the "quick connects?"

Congrats.

L.J.
11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Quick connects?

GMichael
11-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Quick connects?

So that one player can be brought from room to room to room, and service all those HDTV's you've got. :ihih:

Groundbeef
11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Quick connects?

Yep. HDMI 1.4 w/ Quick Connects.

The old standard HDMI .7 used a combination of buttons, cloth straps, and velcro. Very time consuming, not to mention bulky.

HDMI .87 ushered in a new era of convience with the patened "zipper Lock", but that was discontinued after reports of "Catching the Privates" were filed.

HDMI .9654 was "Back to Basics" with an assortment of latches, and vacum pumps. There were some 'handshake' issues, but engineers were working on it.

L.J.
11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
So that one player can be brought from room to room to room, and service all those HDTV's you've got. :ihih:

Oh.........that went way over my head :idea:

I'll keep it on my main system for awhile and see what happens in the future.

L.J.
11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
CC has decided to join the party and has dropped the price of their A2 down to $129.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-HD-DVD-Player-HDA2/sem/rpsm/oid/169466/catOid/-16221/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

GMichael
11-02-2007, 11:33 AM
That's cool. Now that everyone else is out of stock. Smart move to let BB and Wally battle it out first. Then they can bat clean-up.

L.J.
11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
That's cool. Now that everyone else is out of stock. Smart move to let BB and Wally battle it out first. Then they can bat clean-up.

GM, let us know when your all hooked up. I'm hoping I didn't get one of the bad units. I ordered an HDMI cable so I won't get hooked up for a few days.

GMichael
11-02-2007, 12:06 PM
GM, let us know when your all hooked up. I'm hoping I didn't get one of the bad units. I ordered an HDMI cable so I won't get hooked up for a few days.

OK, but keep in mind that my AVR is not HDMI. I'll be going with components and optical.

Groundbeef
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM

What? Ordered? Don't you know BB has a real nice 6' for the bargin price of $100. Its MONSTER brand, and when your not watching HD programming it massages your feet. Its made of 100% spun pixie dust, encapsulated in Copper Magic Shielding, all wrapped in a pretty branded casing. The casing by the way ONLY allows the HD signal to pass one way. That way the signal doesn't get "confused" and try and go back to the source.

In the business we call that the "Salmon" defense. Makes picture clarity 125% of original, but even better!

GMichael
11-02-2007, 07:02 PM

It's all good. I had an issue with the first set of component cables I was using but after a switch it looks great.

Mr Peabody
11-02-2007, 09:22 PM
" AR members falling off HD disc fence like flies, story at 11:00" Congrads all. I guess we know now what price will sell a HD-DVD player. Can't blame you though, no harm can be done at that price.

Dave, Transformers was a cool movie. The DVD looked great I bet the HD was astounding.

drseid
11-03-2007, 12:31 AM
" AR members falling off HD disc fence like flies, story at 11:00" Congrads all. I guess we know now what price will sell a HD-DVD player. Can't blame you though, no harm can be done at that price.

Dave, Transformers was a cool movie. The DVD looked great I bet the HD was astounding.

I should have mentioned that I did not like the cartoon when I was growing up either... I did rent the HD DVD from Netflix and it certanly was an aural and visual bonanza... I just thought it was too much action and special effects with not enough storyline. "A Room With A View" and "Casablanca" are more my speed. That said I do like some action flicks, just not that one unfortunately. I know I am in the minority... just not my cup of tea I guess.

---Dave

drseid
11-03-2007, 12:36 AM
It's all good. I had an issue with the first set of component cables I was using but after a switch it looks great.

Mine's working fine too. I watched the Eyes Wide Shut HD DVD on it last night and it played without a hitch. :-) The A2 is still slower than most regular DVD players out there, but it kills my HD A1 (and my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray) in the startup speed department.
I am pretty impressed so far...

---Dave

Mr Peabody
11-03-2007, 06:05 AM
I didn't watch the cartoon either but did enjoy the movie. If you haven't seen Pursuit of Happyness yet, you might like that. It's one of the better dramas with a story I've seen in a long time. BTW I didn't misspell the title, if you see the movie it will make sense.

L.J.
11-03-2007, 04:14 PM
What's with the "select on from each category" mess. I already own most of these movies. Wish there was a bigger selection & titles I actual want to buy. Oh well.

nightflier
11-04-2007, 12:46 AM
My co-worker went to walmart at 7:15. This store only had 10 and he was way further down the line, so he gave up on it. He was planning on getting the five movies and selling the lot on eBay. I can't bring myself to shop at Walmart, so I was going to pass on it, but for $30 more the CC deal is doable. Any restrictions? Deadlines? or other stuff I should know about? Also, is this the model that plays DVD-A? That would be a plus for me.

drseid
11-04-2007, 01:48 AM
My co-worker went to walmart at 7:15. This store only had 10 and he was way further down the line, so he gave up on it. He was planning on getting the five movies and selling the lot on eBay. I can't bring myself to shop at Walmart, so I was going to pass on it, but for $30 more the CC deal is doable. Any restrictions? Deadlines? or other stuff I should know about? Also, is this the model that plays DVD-A? That would be a plus for me.

I don't know of any restrictions so you should be good there... The unit does *not* play DVD-As though, just CDs, DVDs and HD DVDs to the best of my knowledge.

---Dave

drseid
11-04-2007, 01:51 AM
What's with the "select on from each category" mess. I already own most of these movies. Wish there was a bigger selection & titles I actual want to buy. Oh well.

Yeah, I have heard from many folks that it takes forever to get them too... I probably will just sell them (as any that I want on the list I already own). Of course that beats the Sony deal I got with my BR player... they rejected my rebate form after keeping me waiting a couple months even though it was filled out correctly. I just ended up throwing their "offer" out after that (but I should have reported them).

---Dave

drseid
11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
I didn't watch the cartoon either but did enjoy the movie. If you haven't seen Pursuit of Happyness yet, you might like that. It's one of the better dramas with a story I've seen in a long time. BTW I didn't misspell the title, if you see the movie it will make sense.

If that is the Will Smith movie, I have heard it is somewhat tough to watch, but quite good. I probably will indeed see it soon. Thanks for the tip.

---Dave

Mr Peabody
11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
DrSeid, that's the one.

When I bought my BR player I sent off for the 5 free movie offer from the BDA. I received mine alright. It takes some time but it was within the time frame specified in the promotion.

L.J.
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Well I got everything hooked up and so far so good. I gave Bug's Life DVD & King Kong HD DVD a quick run. Looks great. I can't believe only a DD+ track on Kong though. What are they thinking?

I will be content just renting HD DVD titles for now, unless I can get a good deal or something. All in all, seems like a decent player for the price I paid.

nightflier
11-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Quick question: it seems that in the store displays they always like to showcase cartoons like Bugs Life on the hi-res formats and TVs. Is this because it's easier for the systems to render these and hence they look better than high-action video? Or is the opposite true? Just wondering.

L.J.
11-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I think that both look good but animation seems to really stand out. Maybe the detail & vivid colors show the system off a bit more. My guests always seem to respond more to animation when I demo my system.

GMichael
11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
It's the larger than life colors. They really pop out at ya.

PeruvianSkies
11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
It's the larger than life colors. They really pop out at ya.

You should pick up the new Blu-ray of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND....the colors are INCREDIBLE! Just staggering.

pixelthis
11-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Quick question: it seems that in the store displays they always like to showcase cartoons like Bugs Life on the hi-res formats and TVs. Is this because it's easier for the systems to render these and hence they look better than high-action video? Or is the opposite true? Just wondering.

They are basically 3d COMPUTER VIDEIO so it would seem so.
And it works, after veiwing ninja turtles I was ready to but but decided to look at some real
movies with real actors. They didn't have any but they had talledega nights,
so close enough.
The picture was much closer to DVD than most might think, I even saw video noise in the picture. This is why I say its evolutionary not revolutionary.
Now when I see 1080p material on a 1080p display its stunning, true, but my tv is only a year old, not trading it anytime soon, and while a blu ray would be an improvement
its just not worth it right now, whenever I waver I just watch one of my really good DVD's
puts everything into perspective:1: