Used Receiver saga -- continues! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Used Receiver saga -- continues!

Keith from Canada
10-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi all.

For all those that have followed my used receiver dilemna over the past few days, I'd just like to say that we have a new and serious contender -- the Yamaha RX-V1500. So, here are the receivers in the running:

Denon AVR-2803 - $325 (after shipping)
Pioneer VSX-1015 - $300 (local)
HK 430 - $300 (local)
Yamaha RX-V1500 - $350 (local)
Marantz SR-19 - $450 (local)

I was all set to purchase the Denon and am but a single e-mail from confirming. However, buying sight unseen is troubling despite the seller's good reputation. I also just found out that the receiver has been in storage for the last 6 months.

I am now leaning heavily towards the Yamaha...great reviews, loved my Yamaha's in the past and the price, although a little over budget, seems fair.

So what do you all think?

L.J.
10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
You gotta A2 right? HDMI is the only way to listen to DolbyTrueHD tracks on HD DVD. I'm not familiar with all those units, but it seems like your looking at older units that don't offer HDMI support.

The Onkyo 605 (HDMI v1.3) can be had for $469, maybe less. A few other units by Yamaha, HK, Denon are close to your price range and support HDMI.

Keith from Canada
11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
You gotta A2 right? HDMI is the only way to listen to DolbyTrueHD tracks on HD DVD. I'm not familiar with all those units, but it seems like your looking at older units that don't offer HDMI support.

The Onkyo 605 (HDMI v1.3) can be had for $469, maybe less. A few other units by Yamaha, HK, Denon are close to your price range and support HDMI.

Well, it's like this -- I could have gone out and picked up an intro receiver with HDMI or I could have gone out and picked-up a used receiver with a good, solid amp section. Two things made my decision -- 1) my theater room is fairly large and 2) I have gone the intro receiver route before and got burned. Years ago I bought the Yammie RX-V592. The sound was horrible, the amps underpowered, my center channel sounded muddy and I hated the experience. Music and movies were a "blah" experience. Shortly after, I had a Yammie RX-V995 and then a Denon AVR-3300 (both mid-level units) and I loved music and movies again. I was absolutely stunned at the difference.

Long story short, there are trade-offs to be made when on a budget. For the next 2 years, I have two kids in expensive daycare which means my HT appetite needs to be curved a little. After that, my disposable income will stabilize somewhat and I can re-catch the upgrade bug (projector, then speakers, then receiver). But, I personally will never purchase an introductory receiver again...it's simply too important a piece in the HT system.

nightflier
11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Keith,

Having my own kids in daycare, I can certainly sympathize with the financial burden. And yes, those Dynes crave power, so getting a yammy amp may not be enough. I guess the first question is: what do you have already, what are you currently running? The key to economizing is to maximize what you already have. Maybe you have an old amp collecting dust in the garage?

Keith from Canada
11-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Keith,

Having my own kids in daycare, I can certainly sympathize with the financial burden. And yes, those Dynes crave power, so getting a yammy amp may not be enough. I guess the first question is: what do you have already, what are you currently running? The key to economizing is to maximize what you already have. Maybe you have an old amp collecting dust in the garage?

No Dynes here. My set-up is as follows:

HT Room (strictly for movies and sporting events):
PSB Century 800
PSB 200 center channel
PSB Alpha rears
Toshiba HD-A2 DVD
Infocus 4805 Projector (ISF calibrated by Michael TLV)
96" blackout cloth screen
Soon to add -- Yamaha RX-V1500

Family Room (for everyday use...this means Treehouse and Dora!):
47" Panasonic widescreen RPTV (ISF calibrated by Michael TLV)
Denon AVR-3300 (LOVE it for music!)
B&W DM-303
Panasonic RP-56 DVD

GMichael
11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Just throwing another option up to see if it flies. How about a more up to date receiver (that may have less power) and add a cheap amp to give it more umph?

Something like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-605

Matched up with this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000O3OFC2/interactiveda654-20

Would be a good start and have no trouble driving your mains. The rest of the speakers won't need as much power.

If you shop around, I'm sure you could find much better deals on both.
Just a thought.

GMichael
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
And as long as you like it loud, these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=245-465 would be fine.

But they do have fans that can be noisy.