Hollywood we have a problem a biiiiig problem. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood we have a problem a biiiiig problem.

Worf101
10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm an honest guy. Pretty law abiding. I buy my CD's, only snatch songs if I need 1 or 2 to fill a compilation. I've never, ever knowingly bought a bootleg anything. Here I am walking the the Concourse where I work (read large underground walkspace) in Albany, the State Capital and what happens....

A guy pulls me aside and offers me a copy of "American Gangster" that's "real steady and looks great." At first I'm stunned and kinda speachless. I expect this in New York City, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Bombay and every other 3rd World Capital, but in little old Albany?

Hollywoods got a problem a BIG problem that lawsuiting people like the RIAA is doing is NOT going to solve. Vista's annoying DRM scheme isn't gonna solve it either. as anything Bill makes can be circumvented by 5 year olds. If bootleg copys of unreleased movies have made it to my street, then the jig really is "up".

Da Worfster

GMichael
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm an honest guy. Pretty law abiding. I buy my CD's, only snatch songs if I need 1 or 2 to fill a compilation. I've never, ever knowingly bought a bootleg anything. Here I am walking the the Concourse where I work (read large underground walkspace) in Albany, the State Capital and what happens....

A guy pulls me aside and offers me a copy of "American Gangster" that's "real steady and looks great." At first I'm stunned and kinda speachless. I expect this in New York City, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Bombay and every other 3rd World Capital, but in little old Albany?

Hollywoods got a problem a BIG problem that lawsuiting people like the RIAA is doing is NOT going to solve. Vista's annoying DRM scheme isn't gonna solve it either. as anything Bill makes can be circumvented by 5 year olds. If bootleg copys of unreleased movies have made it to my street, then the jig really is "up".

Da Worfster

This has been going on for years overseas. At least half of the DVD's that I saw available in the Philippines were bootleg. And they were selling them in stores.

Edit: Oh, and I've been to "little old Albany." It's not exactly, "land of the Boy Scouts" ya know.

Worf101
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
This has been going on for years overseas. At least half of the DVD's that I saw available in the Philippines were bootleg. And they were selling them in stores.

Edit: Oh, and I've been to "little old Albany." It's not exactly, "land of the Boy Scouts" ya know.
It's the land of the CUB Scouts. LOL....

Da Worfster

GMichael
10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
It's the land of the CUB Scouts. LOL....

Da Worfster

I got thrown out of the Cub Scouts.

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I got thrown out of the Cub Scouts.

Thats because your 35. You need to be 8 to be a Cub Scout.

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 10:11 AM

Da Worfster

You were not wearing your Klingon Regalia by chance were you? I hear that Klingons are HUGE fans of bootleg movies.

GMichael
10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats because your 35. You need to be 8 to be a Cub Scout.

I was 8 at the time. That was 39 years ago.

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I was 8 at the time. That was 39 years ago.

Well, you can't drop a bomb like that, and not expand. What prey tell did you do exactly? At this point the statute of limitations has to be over (except for murder) so divulge.

I was once fired as a lunchroom assistant in the 6th grade. I still have fond memories of being sat down with Noah Willey (we were 2 of 4 aides) and informed that Mr. XXX (forgot his name now) was VERY disappointed in our behavior as lunchroom assistants. We were the first 2 students EVER fired! We were horrible, and I am suprised that they even gave us the jobs. We would do anything we could to get into trouble. Didn't want Tartar Sauce with your fish sticks? TOO BAD. Didn't want your jello with whip topping upside down? TOO BAD. Oh the memories!

GMichael
10-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, you can't drop a bomb like that, and not expand. What prey tell did you do exactly? At this point the statute of limitations has to be over (except for murder) so divulge.

Duh... For eating Brownies of coarse. They caught me with 3 of them in the back room.

I was once fired as a lunchroom assistant in the 6th grade. I still have fond memories of being sat down with Noah Willey (we were 2 of 4 aides) and informed that Mr. XXX (forgot his name now) was VERY disappointed in our behavior as lunchroom assistants. We were the first 2 students EVER fired! We were horrible, and I am suprised that they even gave us the jobs. We would do anything we could to get into trouble. Didn't want Tartar Sauce with your fish sticks? TOO BAD. Didn't want your jello with whip topping upside down? TOO BAD. Oh the memories!

You must have been trouble.

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Duh... For eating Brownies of coarse. They caught me with 3 of them in the back room.

Uggghh. If I had a red to give, you'd be getting one for that stinker.

You must have been trouble.

Yep. I did learn to tone it down after that. Now I am much more careful when causing trouble. Of course there was that time my buddy and I threw smoke bombs in the neighbors house.

Or the time I was trimming my neighbors yard for money, and cut down an ENTIRE row of her freshly blooming tulips (This was actually a total accident). Rather than fess up, I simply "replanted" the stalks as to not miss out on payment. Strangly enough the next week she asked that I no longer mow her lawn.

GMichael
10-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Uggghh. If I had a red to give, you'd be getting one for that stinker.

Yep. I did learn to tone it down after that. Now I am much more careful when causing trouble. Of course there was that time my buddy and I threw smoke bombs in the neighbors house.

Or the time I was trimming my neighbors yard for money, and cut down an ENTIRE row of her freshly blooming tulips (This was actually a total accident). Rather than fess up, I simply "replanted" the stalks as to not miss out on payment. Strangly enough the next week she asked that I no longer mow her lawn.

I never really "tried" to get in trouble. But I sure did end up in a peck of it.
This one time, back in 1979, a couple of friends and I got together. There was construction going on with a new span going over the Hudson River. We decided that it would be fun to jump off the construction into the safety nets below. Well, it was fun. Right up until the time that the State Police showed up. They were not very friendly. Neither was the local paper. The next day we were on the cover. The story said that the police caught us hiding in the bushes. Bushes? What frickin' bushes would that be 100 feet up? And apparently, we had a lot of drugs on us too. Somebody must have been holding out on me.
I don't get in nearly as much trouble as I used to.

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 11:09 AM
I never really "tried" to get in trouble. But I sure did end up in a peck of it.
This one time, back in 1979, a couple of friends and I got together. There was construction going on with a new span going over the Hudson River. We decided that it would be fun to jump off the construction into the safety nets below. Well, it was fun. Right up until the time that the State Police showed up. They were not very friendly. Neither was the local paper. The next day we were on the cover. The story said that the police caught us hiding in the bushes. Bushes? What frickin' bushes would that be 100 feet up? And apparently, we had a lot of drugs on us too. Somebody must have been holding out on me.
I don't get in nearly as much trouble as I used to.

Well really, after that you are either going to ramp it up, or ramp it down. Probably best you toned it down. On the other hand, most prisions have internet access, so you could be reporting on the latest home made audio equipment, and how "steel bars can increase your reception"

After I said that I thought to myself "steel bars can increase your reception" thats kinda swishy...

kexodusc
10-31-2007, 11:30 AM

Da Worfster

Could be worse Worf, my neighborhood sells way worse contraband than bootlegged movies...

I dunno...despite all the talk of how bad things have become, the music and film industry is still generating zillions of dollars. Considering how far we've come with the whole piracy thing since 1997, I'm not so sure it's going to get much worse by 2017.

Think it's just going to be a minor nuissance in the grand scheme of things.

Ya should have told him you only buy BluRays or HD-DVD's...

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Ya should have told him you only buy BluRays or HD-DVD's...

Tsk, Tsk, don't you know those are "un-breakable"?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Piracy is the whole reason the studio want to move to high definition video. While AACS has already been cracked, it cannot be spread right now in its native resolution. BD+ has not been cracked, and cracking it will be tough. The keys are renewed at every new disc release, so it will be tough to lock it down. Each disc has its own set of revokable keys that cannot be access through a computer.

PeruvianSkies
10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Tsk, Tsk, don't you know those are "un-breakable"?

If someone can MAKE IT than someone else can BREAK IT.

Worf101
11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
I dunno, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but to be approached for a bootleg BENEATH the STATE CAPITAL just surprises me. Wow... I still can't believe it.

Da Worfster

Kex and Groundbeef... stop hijackin' threads you cretins!!!

Da Worfster

kexodusc
11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I dunno, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but to be approached for a bootleg BENEATH the STATE CAPITAL just surprises me. Wow... I still can't believe it.

Da Worfster

Kex and Groundbeef... stop hijackin' threads you cretins!!!

Da Worfster
Hijackin?
I responded directly to your comments :confused:

Now who's gonna win the big game? Colts, or Pats?

GMichael
11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Hijackin?
I responded directly to your comments :confused:

Now who's gonna win the big game? Colts, or Pats?

I feel honored that he mixed me you with me.

Groundbeef
11-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Hey, he brought up the whole Cub Scout thing. After that its like a top of the mind awareness exercise.

Worf101
11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
My apologies Kex, I cornfused you wit G'man. "Damn I picked a hellofa day to stop snortin' cocaine."

Da Worfster

GMichael
11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
My apologies Kex, I cornfused you wit G'man. "Damn I picked a hellofa day to stop snortin' cocaine."

Da Worfster

The plain! IT'S COMING RIGHT AT US!

WHOAAAAAAAA! CRASH.