Tweak that actually worked [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tweak that actually worked

daviethek
10-31-2007, 07:12 AM
I usually budget around 50.00 a month for music and the ocasional tweak. Out of sheer boredom or whatever other addictive force was in play, I decided to get some of those gold plated ceramic HiFi fuses. They worked, were a noticable improvement in clairty and staging. Looking back, it might be the only tweak that I have ever tried that actually made a noticeable improvement in system performance. Is the 60.00 or so for a pair price justified? perhaps not, but I have easily spent that much at one time on music that was marginal in performance quality or sonic quality.

Any similar expericences out there with these goofy things?

Warren Peck
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I usually budget around 50.00 a month for music and the ocasional tweak. Out of sheer boredom or whatever other addictive force was in play, I decided to get some of those gold plated ceramic HiFi fuses. They worked, were a noticable improvement in clairty and staging. Looking back, it might be the only tweak that I have ever tried that actually made a noticeable improvement in system performance. Is the 60.00 or so for a pair price justified? perhaps not, but I have easily spent that much at one time on music that was marginal in performance quality or sonic quality.

Any similar expericences out there with these goofy things?

What type of amplifier do you have, and where in the circuit did the fuses go? If they are on the power supply side, I can't understand how they would affect anything, but if you have fuses on your output, I suppose they could make a difference.

JohnMichael
11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I recently purchased an Onkyo A 9555 int. amp and the reviewer from Stereophile used the HiFi fuse in his review. After I have listened to the amp for a few weeks I will order the fuse. For as little as it costs it is worth a try.

JohnMichael
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
The Hi-Fi Tuning fuse made a difference. The first thing I noticed is Joshua Bell's violin was in better focus. More string and body sound to the violin. Highs are more extended and detailed. This was not subtle. I have to agree with the Stereophile reviewer that the Onkyo was a nice amp before but even better with the new fuse. Other than what I have read I have no idea why a fuse should make an improvement but it did.:17: