HT PROBLEMS! Yellow Skin tones on new BluRay and audible buzz from speakers!?!? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT PROBLEMS! Yellow Skin tones on new BluRay and audible buzz from speakers!?!?

airblue23
10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I need some help fellas and appreciate any feedback you could share!?

Two big problems:

1.) I am noticing a slight audible buzz coming from my speakers as soon as the receiver boots up. I noticed this a few months ago but never got around to diagnosing. My receiver is a B&K AVR 202 5.1 receiver and I can hear the buzz coming from the Dynaudio Audience speakers (currently just in a stereo setup until I hook up the rears (still unpacking) regardless of the mode (dvd vs cd vs tape etc). Is this bad wiring or something greater? How can I diagnose?

2.) I have a new Samsung BD P1400 Blu-Ray DVD player and the skin tones and other images seem to have an overly yellow tint.....for example, im watching the fox Prison Break DVD and what I assume is dirt on the runaways faces seems to be yellow-iodine looking stains......how can I color correct? I only notice in DVD playback as far as I can tell.

PLEASE ADVISE---ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks,
Ryan
rwalsh@hotmail.com

bfalls
10-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I've looked at the specs for your DVD and there doesn't appear to be any user adjustable video controls, with the except for sharpness and noise. Unless your receiver has video controls and you connect your DVD player to the receiver, I'd say the TV input you have the player connected to is the culprit. You can try adjusting the input using one of the DVD setup discs available. If this doesn't resolve the problem call the place where you bought the TV to reair it. If it's not under warranty you may want to have the grayscale adjusted by an ISF certified technician.

As far as your receiver is concerned, the B&K is a great unit, so I can't believe the buzz is due to the power supply. You may first try flipping the AC plug. This may require purchasing a three-prong adapter since most current AC outlets are keyed so the plug can't be flipped. You may also try using a power conditioner to filter out stray AC hum and RF interference.

pixelthis
10-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Sounds like a loose cable.
And B&K is a nice receiver but they did have some QC problems when they first came out.
As for the yellow, that might just be you "seeing through" limited quality due to a higher
rez system. This happens all of the time.
I watched "wizard of oz" dozens of times for instance, but never noticed the plastic bubble on Glendas head until I watched the special edition of the DVD.
Ever watch Star wars (the original) on DVD? Once cutting edge special effects are quite dated, this is wht he "updated" the film a few years ago.
With higher rez you see things you arent supposed to sometines, would help if
we knew what kind of display you have:1:

airblue23
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
The TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-52D92U bought direct from Sharp. It has 3 HDMI inputs and all of them return the same yellow picture......essentially anytime there should be shadow detail, its seems to have a yellow tint, so I do not think I am "seeing through" the quality. That said, could it be the HDMI cable itself? The DVD Player (samsung blu ray BD p1400) ? Or is it guaranteed to be the TV? Im scared to death to have to replace the TV--I just got it and could never repackage and ship back??!!?!? Any ideas here guys?????

Also, what do you mean "flip the AC" plug? I am not that keen with any lingo, so please advise what your suggestion on finding the source of the buzz means in laymans terms!
Thansk very much!

I can email direct at rwalsh@hotmail.com if you prefer.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Ryan

codecougar
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Whenever I am troubleshooting a problem I always try to isolate the problem first.

So as for your "yellow tint" trouble.

I am assuming you do not have the BR player running through a receiver which could complicate things. If you do, run it straight to your TV just to test things.

Then try a new HDMI cable from the player to the TV.

No difference?

Then I would borrow a DVD player from a friend or coworker and hook it up with the same HDMI cable and play the exact same Prison Break DVD on the exact same scene. Are you getting the same yellow tint result with both players? If not, it's probably the Blu-ray player.

I am assuming that the Prison Break DVD is not a Blu-ray disc and even though your player may be upconverting the resolution, I doubt you should be getting a yellow tint.

Do you notice the yellow tint on Blu-ray discs as well as standard DVD's?

Can you return the BR player and maybe try a Sony BR player? I know that Samsung had some issues a while back, but I though they had been resolved.

airblue23
11-05-2007, 06:55 PM
btw, i gtried an svideo cord just to see what woudl happen and the yellow shadow detail is not an issue when the DVD player uses the s-video, but obviosuly i dint get this tv and dvd player to not be able to take advantage of HDMI, so what do i try next? Swap HDMI cables? Return the DVD or call Sharp?

If I need one of the DVD calibartion DVDs, where do i find one?

airblue23
11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I am direct from the DVD to TV.

The skin tone issue happens on blu ray and traditional DVDs.

Ill try the cable then ill try a new DVD player.

codecougar
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
btw, i gtried an svideo cord just to see what woudl happen and the yellow shadow detail is not an issue when the DVD player uses the s-video, but obviosuly i dint get this tv and dvd player to not be able to take advantage of HDMI, so what do i try next? Swap HDMI cables? Return the DVD or call Sharp?

I would start with the HDMI cable. It certainly could be the culprit. Doubtful, but easy enough to check.

codecougar
11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I am direct from the DVD to TV.

The skin tone issue happens on blu ray and traditional DVDs.

Ill try the cable then ill try a new DVD player.

Yeah, let us know. Something is not right, but I'm sure it can be figured out.

codecougar
11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Circuit City has those calibration DVD's, but that shouldn't be the issue.

airblue23
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
UPDATE:

I swapped out the HDMI and the problem continued. My new Comcast HD cable box has an HDMI output, so I used that same HDMI cable and conencted it from the HD cable box directly to the SAME hdmi input on the TV and I did NOT notice the overbearing yellow levels I am experiencing with my Blu-Ray DVD player (on rluray and regualr dvds).

Is this evidence that the DVD player is doign soemthing wrong sending out the signal or could it still be soemthing with the TV? Deonding on your feedback, I will either try to borrow a blu-ray DVD player from a friend or return the dvd player to best buy tonight in hopes that th problem is behind me.

Any thoughts???

airblue23
11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
The DVD Player was the culprit---thnaks for everybodys help.

Asit relates to the audible buzz im getting from the speakers---what did you mean by "flipping the AC switch"????

pixelthis
11-07-2007, 11:41 PM
The DVD Player was the culprit---thnaks for everybodys help.

Asit relates to the audible buzz im getting from the speakers---what did you mean by "flipping the AC switch"????

Its an old trick.
Get a "cheater" plug, because your polarized plug will only go into the socket one way,
Then plug your receiver into it, then "flip" it over and plug it in, so that your polarized
plug will go into the non polarized side, basically your changing the polarity of your plug,
I don't reccomend this.
Use the scientific method, take your receiver somewhere else, plug the speakers in and see if the problem persists, if so then its your receiver, and it needs fixing, if not its enviromental, and you will just have to hunt it down.
Are you getting this buzz from all audio sources? If its just one source than its easier to find the problem, if its all sources then its even easier , because its your receiver,
or something coming over the line.
I get a "buzz" from my HDMI, but since its just for casual use (comes out of the tv) I dont care.
if it is your gear its probably a bad capacitor, they are used as filters and leak sometimes,
a service rep will help with this

jcooz13@lycos.com
11-08-2007, 05:55 PM
i had somewhat the same problem with my Elite bdp-94hd blu ray player. i simply reset the unit to as new and my color problems were gone .