Buying used receiver -- need help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buying used receiver -- need help!

Keith from Canada
10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi all, it's been ages since I posted on AudioReview!

Just wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes. I just build a theater in my basement and I'm looking for something to power it so I can leave my Denon AVR-3300 upstairs in my other system (75% music, 25% HT). The basement will be 95% HT and 5% multichannel music (no 'serious' music listening). Also, I only plan on running a 5.1 set-up for the foreseeable future.

Here are my options for the new HT room:

Denon AVR-2803 - $340
Pioneer VSX-1015TX - $300 (THX Select II certified)
Marantz SR-19 - $450 (THX Select certified)
Harmon Kardon AVR-430 - $300

Keep in mind that I originally set-out with a budget of $300 but I will stretch it a little if it is really worth it. I guess the big questions I have are: is the Pioneer a good HT receiver? Is it worth $300 (CAD); would the Denon be a step-up and would the Marantz be a really big step up?

Let me know what you think!

kexodusc
10-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I'd probably go with the Marantz myself, those Pioneers seemed to have cheaped out at some point after the 1014TX set the world on fire.

IMO, the Pioneer isn't that great a price used considering what they sell for new.
If the new receiver is going to be a secondary unit and you're worried about money, the Denon is probably the best of both worlds in terms of price and performance. Maybe that's the way to go.

GMichael
10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I second the Denon.
The Marantz may have an edge in sound, but when buying used, I'd go for the Denon reliabillity.