Help! My Kenwood Died! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Kenwood Died!

phonehead
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Looks like my 5 year old Kenwood Sovereign VR-5700 requires $250 in repairs to be brought back from the dead. Is it worth it? Or is there something else I can put my money towards that's $500 and under that would be better? Any thoughts appreciated - thanks!

basite
10-30-2007, 12:39 PM
$ 500 ain't gonna replace that kennie...

you'll need more money for that...
if someone can guarantee you that after it's been fixed, it will last a long time after that, I would definately repair it. If all people say that it happens to break down alot, I would get something else, but go full out, $ 1k at least to replace it...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

pixelthis
10-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Looks like my 5 year old Kenwood Sovereign VR-5700 requires $250 in repairs to be brought back from the dead. Is it worth it? Or is there something else I can put my money towards that's $500 and under that would be better? Any thoughts appreciated - thanks!
for years the industry has been creating long lived stuff thats not worth repairing for a reason (several really)
One is that you sell more stuff when everythings disposalble, another is a strange quirk of electronics. Mainly that if you fix something, something ELSE will break later, or the same thing you fixed will break again.
A new part changes the circuit slightly, older parts don't run like they did new, with the new part in they break, seen this happen a lot.
So I dont reccomend fixing anything older than five years, not to mention something three
years old is usually obsolete. Its different if its a classic, but Kenwood...
Start shopping:1:

basite
10-31-2007, 03:16 AM
So I dont reccomend fixing anything older than five years, not to mention something three
years old is usually obsolete. Its different if its a classic, but Kenwood...
Start shopping:1:

do mind that that was a $2000 receiver...

Groundbeef
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM

What exactly does the repair entail? I have (but don't use anymore) an old Marantz Reciever, that needed some repairs. Turns out an OEM internal fuse tended to burn out. Repair center fixed it for $100 (I couldn't have done it myself), but the unit then ran flawless for another 10 years.

So, if $250 will make it work, and they give you a 90 day warrenty, it may be worth the price. If the repair is gonna fail, chances are it will be fairly quick and should be covered. Plus, if you get it fixed, you could always sell it if you wanted to upgrade later!

phonehead
10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone - I think I may fix it and then possibly sell it, but you're right, it's really hard to justify fixing something that's 5 years old even if it is/was an expensive item. As technology continues to move so rapidly there really is very little reason to get the top of the line anything as there will be something better for half the cost or less a few years later. I may pick up the onkyo SR605 - anyone own this and have any thoughts? Thanks again!

pixelthis
11-02-2007, 12:27 AM
do mind that that was a $2000 receiver...

WELL, thats what you get from buying a 2,000 $ Kenwood ANYTHING.
Wouldn't buy a 50,000 KIA either.
My receiver cost 1200$, but if it broke would be hard press to fix it (no HDMI) and its only three years old. The amps and ergonomics are great, but I really couldn't justify fixing it, bacause, soon as I did, It would break down the line somewhere
(fixed a sony receiver, broke six months later, fixed a yammy, broke again a few years later, brother fixed a tosh 32in tv, THREE TIMES, finally gave up):1: