Component vs. HDMI and Oppo vs. Sony... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component vs. HDMI and Oppo vs. Sony...

MCF
10-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I have an old Sony DVD player (progressive scan) hooked up to my Pioneer Elite plasma via component. I have an oppo (upconverting to 720p) hooked up to a 'secondary' Samsung 5064 vai HDMI. Well, we never watch DVD's on the Sammy so I want to swap the DVD players, but I will still have to use component to the Pioneer because my reciever does not have HDMI in. Question, can component transmit the 720p from the oppo player?

And will switching the old school Sony player with the Oppo yield better results on the Pioneer Elite 1120HD set?

markw
10-29-2007, 01:14 PM
There's no technical reason that component cables can't pass 720p. Actually, there's no reason it can't pass 1080 i or p for that matter. It all depends on how your DVD player is designed.

As per their design, many, if not all, upconverting DVD players only pass the upscaled/upconverted signal via the HDMI cable.

Check your Oppo manual for what your unit can and cannot do. I know my Tosh operates this way and so does my bud's LG

bobsticks
10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
What he said.

MCF
10-29-2007, 05:11 PM
There's no technical reason that component cables can't pass 720p. Actually, there's no reason it can't pass 1080 i or p for that matter. It all depends on how your DVD player is designed.

As per their design, many, if not all, upconverting DVD players only pass the upscaled/upconverted signal via the HDMI cable.

Check your Oppo manual for what your unit can and cannot do. I know my Tosh operates this way and so does my bud's LG

So if the Oppo only passes 720p via HDMI, is it possible to get the picture to the plasma and still use the reciever (Harmon Kardon) for surround sound? Could I send video to the tv via HDMI (direct from Oppo to Pioneer 'brain') and then send sound from the Oppo to the reciever via optical? Interesting dilemma....

markw
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Could I send video to the tv via HDMI (direct from Oppo to Pioneer 'brain') and then send sound from the Oppo to the reciever via optical? Interesting dilemma....You might even be able to use digital coax, if you have that option. If you do, try any interconnect you have lying around before spending for an official "digital coaxial" cable. It probably will work.

pixelthis
10-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I have an old Sony DVD player (progressive scan) hooked up to my Pioneer Elite plasma via component. I have an oppo (upconverting to 720p) hooked up to a 'secondary' Samsung 5064 vai HDMI. Well, we never watch DVD's on the Sammy so I want to swap the DVD players, but I will still have to use component to the Pioneer because my reciever does not have HDMI in. Question, can component transmit the 720p from the oppo player?

And will switching the old school Sony player with the Oppo yield better results on the Pioneer Elite 1120HD set?

The only advantage to HDMI is that its direct digital from your player to your TV.
With componet theres a conversion to analog and then another to digital at the set,
and some say this degrades the picture somewhat.
I prefer HDMI, seems a little better, and gave up componet switching on my receiver to
watch HDMI from my cable and dvd player.
But you will probably enjoy the componet just as much, especially with a non hd source
like the oppo, upconverting players dont increase resolution anyway, althiough sometimes they improve the picture a tad or two