Refoaming [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Refoaming

cooter51
10-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I have just refoamed my Tannoy Berkeleys Has anyone had any luck with refoaming speakers...fingers crossed!

dingus
10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
congrats. i've refoamed several pairs of speakers and never had too much trouble. the Berkeleys are a bit different though, how did it go for you and where did you get the new surrounds from?

cooter51
10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I bought the surrounds from orange County Speaker in California for $75.00. The speaker place here wanted $1400.00 to recone them. I was pretty careful to follow the directions and marked the speakers before I removed them. The old foam was pretty deteriorated and was almost like tar, it took a while to remove them. It took me 2 days (24 hours to let the glue dry propperly) but they sound like new. If you haven't ever listened to Berkeleys you owe it to yourself to do so. I am only using a Sansui QA 7000 quad amp to drive them but they sound great.

dingus
10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
i've heard Berkeley's, had a pair on loan for a few months earlier this year. i thought they sounded best with tubes. they also did very well with a T-Amp. a friend and i did a shoot out with the Berkeley's and my AR9's that you can read about here;
http://www.sound-thinking.org/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=26632
http://www.sound-thinking.org/index.php?showtopic=2034&st=0&#entry23398

squeegy200
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
i got a speaker rebuild kit from Orange County Speaker.

It was for a set of Bose 901 Series IIs which I rebuilt for a friend. 18 drivers in all!
(Only for a friend- never again!)

But the kit was well made, consistent quality, and came with spare parts in case I made a mistake. there was even two quality grades - a direct replacement and a polymer based suspension that was supposedly rated for lifetime of the speaker.

cooter51
10-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Ont thing I have noticed is that when I connect my turntable the woofers move like crazy and if I turn up the volume there is a loud popping noise coming from the speakers. What could the problem be?

dingus
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Ont thing I have noticed is that when I connect my turntable the woofers move like crazy and if I turn up the volume there is a loud popping noise coming from the speakers. What could the problem be?
whatever it is, its not good.

i assume you are talking about when you select the turntable as a source that this causes the woofer activity? that could be anything from a ground loop to a fault somewhere in the wiring, or a problem with your pre-amp/amp/receiver. the popping sound could be a different problem or just a symptom of the same problem. if this problem is consistent with all sources and became evident only after you did the refoam, it could be that the voice coil in one or both speakers is not aligned properly. this can be corrected by unbolting the speaker from the rear and centering the voice coil by hand.

regardless, i wouldnt risk damaging the Berkeleys and would correct the problem before using them further.

basite
11-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I refoamed my Large advents a while ago, it wasn't hard and works perfectly :thumbsup:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

cooter51
11-03-2007, 07:33 AM
The problem occurs only when I use the turntable everything else sounds fine regardless... I swithched the berkeleys to another power source and they sound great.

basite
11-03-2007, 07:40 AM
The problem occurs only when I use the turntable everything else sounds fine regardless... I swithched the berkeleys to another power source and they sound great.

that's rumble (vibrations caused by the music, that your turntable picks up) placing your tt properly (on a shelf, preferably wallmount) will help alot...

and you seem to have an extreme case of rumbling, the popping sound is the woofer bottoming out, the voice coil hits the back plate causing the popping sound, it will damage your speakers on long term...

better do something about your tt placement, and set it up properly...

if you can't wallmount your tt, you should at least give it a good place to stand, this is not on your floor or on your speakers...

Good luck,
Bert.