The Nightmare Before Xmas in 3-D [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Nightmare Before Xmas in 3-D

ForeverAutumn
10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I love this movie. I love everything about it. The characters, the script, the way it was filmed, the soundtrack...everything.

We went to see it in 3-D yesterday afternoon. This should be the future of all movies. In the past, the only 3-D films that I've seen are films that were made for 3-D. You know the kind where things blow up and all the pieces are heading right at you. Because the 3-D effects were added to Nightmare as an afterthought, there was none of the usual 3-D effects that you would expect from a 3-D film. It was just the same film with incredible visual depth. It added a whole new dimension of beauty to this movie. The already amazing landscapes just popped out. It was like you were there. When Jack is flying over the city delivering toys, you can feel the height. I felt like I was flying...like you would in an Imax theatre, but this was just a regular screen. It was amazing!

It sounded like the soundtrack was also remixed for this film. There was one scene in particular where Dr. Finkelstein was off screen when he starts talking and then moves into the picture from the right. His voice came from behind us and then moved to the right as he appeared on the screen. I don't recall that from seeing it in the past.

If you've never seen this movie, you don't know what you're missing. In the "trick-or-treat" world of Halloween, this movie is definately a treat. If you have seen it, see it again in 3-D. It'll be worth the repeat.

PeruvianSkies
10-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I love this movie. I love everything about it. The characters, the script, the way it was filmed, the soundtrack...everything.

We went to see it in 3-D yesterday afternoon. This should be the future of all movies. In the past, the only 3-D films that I've seen are films that were made for 3-D. You know the kind where things blow up and all the pieces are heading right at you. Because the 3-D effects were added to Nightmare as an afterthought, there was none of the usual 3-D effects that you would expect from a 3-D film. It was just the same film with incredible visual depth. It added a whole new dimension of beauty to this movie. The already amazing landscapes just popped out. It was like you were there. When Jack is flying over the city delivering toys, you can feel the height. I felt like I was flying...like you would in an Imax theatre, but this was just a regular screen. It was amazing!

It sounded like the soundtrack was also remixed for this film. There was one scene in particular where Dr. Finkelstein was off screen when he starts talking and then moves into the picture from the right. His voice came from behind us and then moved to the right as he appeared on the screen. I don't recall that from seeing it in the past.

If you've never seen this movie, you don't know what you're missing. In the "trick-or-treat" world of Halloween, this movie is definately a treat. If you have seen it, see it again in 3-D. It'll be worth the repeat.

3-D has always been viewed as a 'gimmicky' device, but to some degree I agree with what you are saying in regards to the effect. To me, 3-D brings back a time when cinema was fun, smart, and always trying new things out to bring people in. These days they rely to heavily on peoples stupidity in order to make movies sell. While I am young, I still remember going to drive-in's when I was a kid and seeing double features, which was more like an 'event' than anything else. It was a blast. 3-D movies never really caught on too much, although I have seen some good versions of films in 3-D like THE BIRDS. I personally start to get a bit of a headache after a little bit with the glasses and recently watched NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3-D, which was pretty cool, if not more interested in the 3-D world.

ForeverAutumn
10-29-2007, 05:40 AM
We recently spent a week in Disneyworld, where there are lots of 3-D gimmicky movies to be seen. I found that watching the movies in Disney did give me a headache. At times I found it difficult to focus with the glasses and it felt like I was trying to cross my eyes (which I can't do BTW). And they were short, only five minutes or so each. So I was concerned about sitting through a 90-minute film. But I didn't have a problem at all sitting through Nightmare.

I think that part of the difference was wearing brand new glasses vs the worn out reusable glasses that you're handed in Disneyworld. I also wonder if the technology is better now. Nightmare was made into 3-D only a couple of years ago, vs. Honey I Shrunk the Audience which has been around for well over 10 years.

They showed a trailer before Nightmare for a feature length action film that is currently being filmed in 3-D (filmed in "Disneyvision"). So it looks like Disney is making a move to revive the 3-D movie experience.

What I'm looking forward to is the day that HDTV is in 3-D. Imaging the jungle of Lost in 3-D. Oooooooooh!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM

FA,
I worked on the soundtrack for this movie, and it is indeed remixed. What we attempted to do was make the audio match the visuals. If you were to listen to the old version the soundtracks dialog tracked the characters accross the screen pretty accurately. If you look at the 3-D version, we tracked character far "into" the screen just as the visuals did. There are also some effects repositioning that differ from the original release as well.

This is the second made for 3D soundtrack I have worked on, and the difference between doing this, and just a regular movie is pretty startling. The amount of work to get everything lined up is staggering. The great thing is we get more time to work on these than we get on movies shot in the traditional way.

ForeverAutumn
10-30-2007, 10:14 AM
FA,
I worked on the soundtrack for this movie, and it is indeed remixed. What we attempted to do was make the audio match the visuals. If you were to listen to the old version the soundtracks dialog tracked the characters accross the screen pretty accurately. If you look at the 3-D version, we tracked character far "into" the screen just as the visuals did. There are also some effects repositioning that differ from the original release as well.

This is the second made for 3D soundtrack I have worked on, and the difference between doing this, and just a regular movie is pretty startling. The amount of work to get everything lined up is staggering. The great thing is we get more time to work on these than we get on movies shot in the traditional way.

I'm impressed Sir T. Well done!

GMichael
10-30-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm impressed Sir T. Well done!

Must......

resist......

being......

a ...... .....

smart.......

@$$.

10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Must......

resist......

being......

a ...... .....

smart.......

@$$.

You are going to bust wide open G, let it fly man, let it fly LOL

GMichael
10-30-2007, 11:15 AM
You are going to bust wide open G, let it fly man, let it fly LOL

It's just too easy. Where's the challenge in turning "I'm impressed Sir T. Well done!" into something dirty? Give me something harder.
Ooops, no pun intended there Mr. T.

10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
It's just too easy. Where's the challenge in turning "I'm impressed Sir T. Well done!" into something dirty? Give me something harder.
Ooops, no pun intended there Mr. T.

LOLOLOL...This is filthy..I like it....LOLOLOL

bobsticks
10-30-2007, 01:21 PM
So let me get this straight, as it were. First, you were impressing Autumn and now you have GM begging you to give him something harder...I'm not sure that exchange worked out in your best interests T.

GMichael
10-30-2007, 01:54 PM
So let me get this straight, as it were. First, you were impressing Autumn and now you have GM begging you to give him something harder...I'm not sure that exchange worked out in your best interests T.

Well? Are you just going to watch,:sleep: or do you plan to join in? :ihih:

bobsticks
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Well? Are you just going to watch,:sleep: or do you plan to join in? :ihih:

No thanks, I'm trying to cut down. But, if ya know any asian, female midgets...<badoom chuk>