Thinking about upgrading to a projector. Any thoughts ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading to a projector. Any thoughts ?

codecougar
10-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I currently have a 42" LCD JVC 1080p and a Blu-ray player. I will probably still use this for watching television, but I have been thinking about getting a 1080p projector, ceiling mounting it above my couch and putting a drop down screen in front of my current tv and using the projector for Blu-ray viewing.

I am considering buying or making a ceiling mount that can hold the projector and the Blu-ray player and then I have to find like a 25' optical cable that I will run through my ceiling to the receiver which is on the other side of the room.

Any thoughts on this set up? The only problem I foresee is where to put my center channel. It is currently above my tv so it would be behind the projector screen when I pull it down. I suppose I could mount it under the screen, but that's not a preference of mine.

Robert-The-Rambler
10-27-2007, 07:15 PM
I currently have a 42" LCD JVC 1080p and a Blu-ray player. I will probably still use this for watching television, but I have been thinking about getting a 1080p projector, ceiling mounting it above my couch and putting a drop down screen in front of my current tv and using the projector for Blu-ray viewing.

I am considering buying or making a ceiling mount that can hold the projector and the Blu-ray player and then I have to find like a 25' optical cable that I will run through my ceiling to the receiver which is on the other side of the room.

Any thoughts on this set up? The only problem I foresee is where to put my center channel. It is currently above my tv so it would be behind the projector screen when I pull it down. I suppose I could mount it under the screen, but that's not a preference of mine.

It is really difficult to configure a projector in general to be bright enough to exhibit the contrast to impress me enough to recommend anything short of something that probably would cost a ridiculous amount of money. I spend a lot of time looking at LCD monitors and rear projection CRT televisions and front projection is so hard to get bright enough with enough contrast. I'm using a huge Grayhawk glass beaded screen with 1.8 gain and frankly the image is stilll not bright enough even in a dark room to compete with any kind of other type of display technology available. I would recommend that you check out larger DLP televisions if big is what you want or if you have no budget restrictions go deep into the higher end projectors like JVCs 1080p LCOS projector that gets great reviews at projectorcentral.com or a 3 chip DLP model with contrast ratings way up there. LCOS seems to offer the best true contrast ratings.

Beware of auto iris inflated contrast numbers in front projection. Thos numbers are total BS. Native contrast is all that matters not the best contrast possible when the iris is open just right. I don't give a crap if you get 50000:1 contrast when the moon eclipses the sun. I hate that misleading nonsense.

codecougar
10-27-2007, 07:33 PM
It is really difficult to configure a projector in general to be bright enough to exhibit the contrast to impress me enough to recommend anything short of something that probably would cost a ridiculous amount of money. I spend a lot of time looking at LCD monitors and rear projection CRT televisions and front projection is so hard to get bright enough with enough contrast. I'm using a huge Grayhawk glass beaded screen with 1.8 gain and frankly the image is stilll not bright enough even in a dark room to compete with any kind of other type of display technology available. I would recommend that you check out larger DLP televisions if big is what you want or if you have no budget restrictions go deep into the higher end projectors like JVCs 1080p LCOS projector that gets great reviews at projectorcentral.com or a 3 chip DLP model with contrast ratings way up there. LCOS seems to offer the best true contrast ratings.

Beware of auto iris inflated contrast numbers in front projection. Thos numbers are total BS. Native contrast is all that matters not the best contrast possible when the iris is open just right. I don't give a crap if you get 50000:1 contrast when the moon eclipses the sun. I hate that misleading nonsense.

Good info here. Thank you !

musicman1999
10-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Why would you want to mount the bluray player on the ceiling? Makes it haed to change movies for one thing.Putting the player in a normal position and running component cables to the projector would make more sense than running coax from the bluray, you can't get the new audio formats using coax or optical, it must be 5.1 analog or HDMI.

bill

codecougar
10-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Why would you want to mount the bluray player on the ceiling? Makes it haed to change movies for one thing.Putting the player in a normal position and running component cables to the projector would make more sense than running coax from the bluray, you can't get the new audio formats using coax or optical, it must be 5.1 analog or HDMI.

bill

I am limited with the space/ set up I have. I was going to build some type of ceiling mount shelf unit that will house both the projector and Blu-ray unit. Otherwise I will have to run and 25' HDMI cable. I don't really have many other options. I am using a optical cable right now for the sound anyway and it sounds good to me.

GMichael
10-28-2007, 03:28 PM
With that length of a run, I would use digital coax instead of the optical. It's more durable.
I have the Sanyo Z-4 and have also had trouble with brightness. But only in the living room where I have a grey 106" screen. This pushes the limits of this projector. The one in the bedroom shows on a 92" white screen. The brightness there is fine. The newer models are better. I would suggest checking out this site: http://www.projectorcentral.com/
Enrole as a member and ask questions on their forum. These people know their chit!
I have eyes for the Optoma HD80 right now. But by time I'm ready to upgrade, things may (or should) change. This is the time of year that all the new models come out.
Oh yeah, I love both of mine. Even the one in the living room. Nothing beats a huge screen for movies. (or sports)
Poor Washington.

codecougar
10-28-2007, 03:48 PM
With that length of a run, I would use digital coax instead of the optical. It's more durable.
I have the Sanyo Z-4 and have also had trouble with brightness. But only in the living room where I have a grey 106" screen. This pushes the limits of this projector. The one in the bedroom shows on a 92" white screen. The brightness there is fine. The newer models are better. I would suggest checking out this site: http://www.projectorcentral.com/
Enrole as a member and ask questions on their forum. These people know their chit!
I have eyes for the Optoma HD80 right now. But by time I'm ready to upgrade, things may (or should) change. This is the time of year that all the new models come out.
Oh yeah, I love both of mine. Even the one in the living room. Nothing beats a huge screen for movies. (or sports)
Poor Washington.

Thanks for the input. Coax is another option. I am not exactly audio crazy just yet so as long as it sounds decent, I am happy. I will check out that site. Thanks !

musicman1999
10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I still would urge you to not mount the player on the ceiling,you will have to run cable one way or the other, and it would seem a shame to only get half the high def experience.The difference between dolby digital and the new sound formats is profound. I still wonder about changing discs, won't that be a pain.Also if you live in an average house there could be a vibration problem from people walking on the main floor above may pass to the player.

bill

codecougar
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I still would urge you to not mount the player on the ceiling,you will have to run cable one way or the other, and it would seem a shame to only get half the high def experience.The difference between dolby digital and the new sound formats is profound. I still wonder about changing discs, won't that be a pain.Also if you live in an average house there could be a vibration problem from people walking on the main floor above may pass to the player.

bill

Yeah, I am doing some replanning to see what I can pull off. The 1080P projecrtors are also still a bit pricey so I am going to wait until they come down a bit.

Robert-The-Rambler
10-29-2007, 03:44 PM
I am limited with the space/ set up I have. I was going to build some type of ceiling mount shelf unit that will house both the projector and Blu-ray unit. Otherwise I will have to run and 25' HDMI cable. I don't really have many other options. I am using a optical cable right now for the sound anyway and it sounds good to me.

I've watched numerous HD-DVDs with a 25 foot cable and there are virtually no problems with loss of data or anything like that and it is very convenient. It just works. What are using to process your sound? Man, if you are going to be basically building a theater you should try to take advantage of the new sound formats.

GMichael
10-30-2007, 05:40 AM
I've watched numerous HD-DVDs with a 25 foot cable and there are virtually no problems with loss of data or anything like that and it is very convenient. It just works. What are using to process your sound? Man, if you are going to be basically building a theater you should try to take advantage of the new sound formats.

I currently am running a 25' HDMI cable (as well as two 25' sets of component cables) to both my projectors. I've had no trouble with any of them.

I also agree with the others. The player would be best suited to be near your receiver. Running HDMI to your receiver and then to your projector lets you take advantage of the new sound fields available.

Keith from Canada
10-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I am doing some replanning to see what I can pull off. The 1080P projecrtors are also still a bit pricey so I am going to wait until they come down a bit.

First off, if you can control ambient light in your room, going with a PJ is a no-brainer IMO. If you can do it, DO IT.

Second, why are you not looking at the 720p models? If you are looking at a 100" screen or less, you will not be able to see any difference between a 720p or 1080p from any reasonable distance.

Lastly, one other poster recommended LCOS...I wholeheartedly disagree with that. LCOS has its own limitations and, once properly calibrated, looks no better than a good 1 chip DarkChip 3 DLP. Unless you are in a pinch and can't accomodate the fixed offset, I would recommend going with a DLP 720p. They are also dropping in price fast now that the 1080p's are out and you can find many good ones for around $1K or less.

Oh yeah...AVS forums are THE place to be to find out about PJ's. I check out bot forums frequently and the Projectorcentral forum members often don't have the expertise that the AVS members have.

GMichael
10-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah...AVS forums are THE place to be to find out about PJ's. I check out bot forums frequently and the Projectorcentral forum members often don't have the expertise that the AVS members have.

I would have to disagree with this. AVS is another good source for many things. But the people over at PC are a great source for one thing. Projectors.

I'd also stick with the 1080p. When you go big (and that's what projectors are for) the difference shows more and more. When I bought my Z4, the 1080p's were over 5k. You can get them for under 3k now. If you don't have the budget for that now, I'd wait. The OP already has a nice 1080p LCD and a Blu-ray player. Why go backwards?

Keith from Canada
10-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I would have to disagree with this. AVS is another good source for many things. But the people over at PC are a great source for one thing. Projectors.

I'd also stick with the 1080p. When you go big (and that's what projectors are for) the difference shows more and more. When I bought my Z4, the 1080p's were over 5k. You can get them for under 3k now. If you don't have the budget for that now, I'd wait. The OP already has a nice 1080p LCD and a Blu-ray player. Why go backwards?

Fair enough comment about the forums, I just got tired of telling people about simple things like offset, iris' and rainbow effect over a PJ Central so I now spend more time at AVS.

As for the comment that if you can't afford a 1080p now he should wait, I disagree completely. With 720p PJ's like the Mits 1500 providing stunning HD images at a street price of well under $1K, what are you waiting for??? I've seen the Mits (along with Infocus, BenQ, Optoma, Sanyo and Panasonic) running with Blu Ray and HD DVD and to sit back and wait for 1080p to come along so that his eyes can see the same image (which they will if he's got less than a 100" screen) just seems wrong to me. True enough that projectors are designed to go big but unless you're going REALLY big, 720p will work just fine for a number years yet. Add to that the current pricing and it's easy to get yourself a stellar image for under $1K.

Let me ask you this -- would you trade your Z4 for a 42" LCD to run Blu-Ray off of? I think I can guess at your answer. Everyone with a PJ knows that it is the only way to get the "wow" factor into your HT. A 42" LCD might look pretty but it sure isn't going to make you sit back with your jaw on the floor. I have a 96" screen in my HT room and a 47" upstairs and both are professionally calibrated (and look the same). After viewing my 96" for a short while, the 47" looks simply bland.

To each his own I guess.

PDXmonkeyboy
10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
There is something to be said for the ambiance of a large screen and a front projector. I have just really gotten the home theater bug lately and part of the reason was I visited a friends house and he had a really nice projector setup in the basement. The size was quite impressive and it wasn't like other friends of mine whose "home theaters" consisted of a largish plasma and some posters on the wall.

Any way you slice it. A tv is still only a tv. And HUGE televisions are a bit garish. IMO.

GMichael
10-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Fair enough comment about the forums, I just got tired of telling people about simple things like offset, iris' and rainbow effect over a PJ Central so I now spend more time at AVS.

As for the comment that if you can't afford a 1080p now he should wait, I disagree completely. With 720p PJ's like the Mits 1500 providing stunning HD images at a street price of well under $1K, what are you waiting for??? I've seen the Mits (along with Infocus, BenQ, Optoma, Sanyo and Panasonic) running with Blu Ray and HD DVD and to sit back and wait for 1080p to come along so that his eyes can see the same image (which they will if he's got less than a 100" screen) just seems wrong to me. True enough that projectors are designed to go big but unless you're going REALLY big, 720p will work just fine for a number years yet. Add to that the current pricing and it's easy to get yourself a stellar image for under $1K.

Let me ask you this -- would you trade your Z4 for a 42" LCD to run Blu-Ray off of? I think I can guess at your answer. Everyone with a PJ knows that it is the only way to get the "wow" factor into your HT. A 42" LCD might look pretty but it sure isn't going to make you sit back with your jaw on the floor. I have a 96" screen in my HT room and a 47" upstairs and both are professionally calibrated (and look the same). After viewing my 96" for a short while, the 47" looks simply bland.

To each his own I guess.

What you say does make sense. I would not trade my 720p projector for a 42" 1080p. But the prices on the 1080p projectors are dropping fast. Maybe I just feel this way because I want to upgrade. Maybe I feel that if he has 1080p now then 720p is a step back.
Anyway, did he mention how far away he sits? That would play a big part of it.

GMichael
10-31-2007, 06:14 AM
There is something to be said for the ambiance of a large screen and a front projector. I have just really gotten the home theater bug lately and part of the reason was I visited a friends house and he had a really nice projector setup in the basement. The size was quite impressive and it wasn't like other friends of mine whose "home theaters" consisted of a largish plasma and some posters on the wall.

Any way you slice it. A tv is still only a tv. And HUGE televisions are a bit garish. IMO.

Welcome to AR. You make nice points. The impact of a 100+" screen is really something you can't get from a 50 or even 60" TV. It's like being at the movie.
And I've just recently learned how much fun it is for gaming as well.

codecougar
10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
I sit 15' away from a 42" LCD currently. I am definitely looking for the wow factor so I am going with a projector. I will still be 15' away from the screen.

I want to go with a 1080p projector, but I will definitely check into the 720p's and see what's available.

I thought long HDMI runs were a no no ?

GMichael
10-31-2007, 08:45 AM
I sit 15' away from a 42" LCD currently. I am definitely looking for the wow factor so I am going with a projector. I will still be 15' away from the screen.

I want to go with a 1080p projector, but I will definitely check into the 720p's and see what's available.

I sit 18' away from my 720p. It looks fantastic. But with a 1080p player soon to be joining my system, I feel like I'll be missing out on something better.

Do you have your lighting controlled or do you just plan to use the proj at night?

Keith from Canada
10-31-2007, 10:05 AM

The general rule used to be 2.5 x screen width for seating distance but that rule has been modified to 1.5 x screen width for 720p projectors. You're just trying to eliminate any screen-door effect from occurring.

I'm 16' from a 96" screen with a 480p DLP projector and it's perfect! At 15', you could easily do 100" - 110" with a 720p or 1080p. Yep, instead of 42", you can be watching a 110" image from the same seating position. Trust me when I say that the difference is HUGE!

If looking at 720p, make sure you check out the Marantz 4001...it's retailing for 1/4 of its original MSRP (around $1,300) and less than the Sharp DT-3100 (they are clones of one another). If you decide to go 'cheap' while you wait for 1080p, the Mits HD1000/1500 cannot be beat IMO.

I've seen HDMI runs of 20' with no problems.

codecougar
11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I sit 18' away from my 720p. It looks fantastic. But with a 1080p player soon to be joining my system, I feel like I'll be missing out on something better.

Do you have your lighting controlled or do you just plan to use the proj at night?

I have controlled lighting, but I mainly will use it for movies at night.