DirecTV's new HD channels require new receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV's new HD channels require new receiver

topspeed
10-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I knew this day was coming :mad5:!

A long time ago, in a far away galaxy...

OK, it was only 2 years ago when I waded into the HD waters with DirecTV, switching from Dish amid promises of more and more HD channels from new satellites they were launching. Well, that day has finally come with 70 new channels and another 30 due by January '08. Beefy's comments about receiving the new channels in another thread had me scratching my head as to why I wasn't. After a little one on one with Customer Service, I was informed that my HD-DVR (you know, the one the made me PURCHASE two years ago) is only MPEG3 compatible. Lo and behold, all of the new channels are MPEG4 :mad2:. Soooo...guess who has to buy a new STB?

Man, they didn't even kiss me first!

If there is a silver lining to this, at least I was able to negotiate the price down to a third of what they wanted to shaft, er...charge me. Instead of $300 some odd dollars, I was able to upgrade for $100. I'm still not happy, but whatcha gonna do?

So if you are a DirecTV'er, make sure you have the right STB. If not, grab your wallet and ask them for at least a reach around this time.

L.J.
10-25-2007, 04:21 PM
How is it that DirectTV has these networks, but not cable? I still gotta call Comcast and they better give me some good news.

Topspeed, how's the CS with DirectTV? Run into any problems with their service in the past?

topspeed
10-25-2007, 04:38 PM
How is it that DirectTV has these networks, but not cable? I still gotta call Comcast and they better give me some good news. My guess is it's a bandwidth issue.

Topspeed, how's the CS with DirectTV? Run into any problems with their service in the past? Slow, but they they get the job done. When I first signed up, I had a second stb in the bedroom that wasn't HD. It was a R25 or something and the model had an issue with freezing up. Four R25's and countless hours on the phone later, I finally got them to send me an altogether different model instead of one that would work for a week or two. The one I have now has been trouble free for quite a while.

The CSR that I worked with regarding this "upgrade" was actually quite pleasant and very understanding when I went to bat against the supervisor. Whether or not she agreed that I was getting shafted, my impression was that she agreed with my position, which is what a CSR is supposed to do.

I will say that DirecTV's CS is head and shoulders above the morons at Dish. Ugh, I hate that company.

pixelthis
10-25-2007, 11:20 PM
My guess is it's a bandwidth issue.

Slow, but they they get the job done. When I first signed up, I had a second stb in the bedroom that wasn't HD. It was a R25 or something and the model had an issue with freezing up. Four R25's and countless hours on the phone later, I finally got them to send me an altogether different model instead of one that would work for a week or two. The one I have now has been trouble free for quite a while.

The CSR that I worked with regarding this "upgrade" was actually quite pleasant and very understanding when I went to bat against the supervisor. Whether or not she agreed that I was getting shafted, my impression was that she agreed with my position, which is what a CSR is supposed to do.

I will say that DirecTV's CS is head and shoulders above the morons at Dish. Ugh, I hate that company.

Thats not the experience I had when I had Dish.
I especially liked the little get togethers when the pres would explain what was going on.
It always felt like you were dealing with real people, not quite the experience my friend has had with his direct TV.
And you are surprized at having to get a new STB when 150 new channels are offered?
AND a lot of these "channels" will be available on cable and dish sooner or later.
a lot of sat companies love to talk about what a rip cable is, but having had dish and direct TV I can say the price is competitive, at least I never had to shell out for a box.
I traded boxes once just because I wanted one with HDMI instead of DVI, They just smiled and handed me one:1:

bfalls
10-26-2007, 05:35 AM
The Dishnetwork Vip622 is MPEG4 compatible. How many of the new HD channels at DirectTV are sports channels?

topspeed
10-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Here's the list of channels so far.

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4380112

L.J.
10-26-2007, 07:08 AM
:arf:

topspeed
10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
*SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT*

If any members are thinking of switching to DirecTV, PM me! There is a referral progam where we both get $50 off our bill. :thumbsup:

Groundbeef
10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
*SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT*

If any members are thinking of switching to DirecTV, PM me! There is a referral progam where we both get $50 off our bill. :thumbsup:

Hey, no fair poaching. I will get anyone the credit too...plus I'll throw in a personal insult aimed at anyone on the board. And, I'll give you 20 positive CP points, even if your topics totally suck ass.

kexodusc
10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey, no fair poaching. I will get anyone the credit too...plus I'll throw in a personal insult aimed at anyone on the board. And, I'll give you 20 positive CP points, even if your topics totally suck ass.
ROFLMAO!
Ha ha Speedy, now ya gotta work that $50!

topspeed
10-26-2007, 09:20 AM
ROFLMAO!
Ha ha Speedy, now ya gotta work that $50!
Tell me about it!

I'm already combing the archives to see if I can find a post by Beefy that will get him temporarily banned :ihih:

L.J.
10-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Just 20 huh? Top, are you willing to raise that to 30? :lol:

Groundbeef
10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Just 20 huh? Top, are you willing to raise that to 30? :lol:

Hey, thats not "Just 20". Thats 20 for any topic you deem worthy. Examples would include:

"Bose are the best speakers...Bar None" CP Points for U!

"Speaker wire is overrated. I just use lamp cord ripped out of Mom's old lamps" CP Points for U!

"The PS3 is THE BEST" (Oh wait..that was a topic I think)

"Black And White tube TV's are gonna COME BACK" CP points for U!

Plus, I'll include a personal insult such as:

Topspeed is a penny pinching miser, who doesn't go the extra mile for fellow AV posters.

topspeed
10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
:lol: :lol:

ROFLMFAO!!

Oh man, you guys are making my Friday! Yesssss!!!!

OK, I've got one that will top anything you can do, Beef:

I'll track down Lexmark and bring him back to AR!!!

HAH! Top THAT!!!

Groundbeef
10-26-2007, 11:11 AM
:lol: :lol:

ROFLMFAO!!

Oh man, you guys are making my Friday! Yesssss!!!!

OK, I've got one that will top anything you can do, Beef:

I'll track down Lexmark and bring him back to AR!!!

HAH! Top THAT!!!

That ain't Nothing Bee-aach! I've got secret video that PROVES that Sir T, and PS are "secret lovers" AND Pixel is their love child. It isn't pretty, but I'll post it if I need to....

Oh, you've been SCHOOLED!!!

GMichael
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Not bad guys, but which one of you is going to track down Spanky. You'll need to have him bring his cottonwood tree, the cat, all 4 sets on speakers, ooops, I mean monitors, and have him tell more stories about his never seen boyfriend with PMS, who sends him used underware to keep under his pillow. Then he can school us on a few dinos.
:sosp: :arf:

Groundbeef
10-26-2007, 11:28 AM
and have him tell more stories about his never seen boyfriend with PMS, who sends him used underware to keep under his pillow. :sosp: :arf:

I don't care if you get 3 friends to sign up w/me. I will have to give you neg CP if those words are EVER uttered on this board again.

And isn't it "underWEAR"? Sounds like he sent him a steel jockstrap when you say "underWARE".

GMichael
10-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't care if you get 3 friends to sign up w/me. I will have to give you neg CP if those words are EVER uttered on this board again.

And isn't it "underWEAR"? Sounds like he sent him a steel jockstrap when you say "underWARE".

Great post for your number 666.

I'm going to have to give you points for that.

I guess you never read through the thread that's in my sig?

Groundbeef
10-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Great post for your number 666.

I'm going to have to give you points for that.

I guess you never read through the thread that's in my sig?

Yes, I had actually. And forgotten it. And now I remeber it. And I hope to soon forget it again. Thanks for peeing on my weekend.

Oh, yeah, you would get CP points for that, but you gotta get DirecTV from ME 1st. You're such a CP whore. Stop it. I mean it.

GMichael
10-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, I had actually. And forgotten it. And now I remeber it. And I hope to soon forget it again. Thanks for peeing on my weekend.

Oh, yeah, you would get CP points for that, but you gotta get DirecTV from ME 1st. You're such a CP whore. Stop it. I mean it.

Too many trees. No chance of me getting DTV any time soon.:17:

Just spreading the love.

topspeed
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
who sends him used underware to keep under his pillow. TMI!!!

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey...a man's got to know his limitations!

GMichael
10-29-2007, 08:02 AM
TMI!!!

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey...a man's got to know his limitations!

I'm only repeating what I read.

L.J.
10-29-2007, 11:42 AM
What's up with DirectTV wanting an arm & a leg to start up service. $597 for 2 DVR boxes, a HD box & a standard box. Do I get a year supply of beer with that.

Groundbeef
10-29-2007, 11:59 AM
What's up with DirectTV wanting an arm & a leg to start up service. $597 for 2 DVR boxes, a HD box & a standard box. Do I get a year supply of beer with that.

I would question the charges. I am not passing judgement, but they do a credit check as well, so if your a bit shaky on that end they may be charging a "security" fee.

Did you tell them you wanted to buy the equipment? I know that it's expensive if you want to buy it outright, rather than lease.

Either way, thats really expensive. Is your installation really difficult?

This just seems really out of the ball park.

GMichael
10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Sounds like a whole different game. Are we still talking about TV hook up?

L.J.
10-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I would question the charges. I am not passing judgement, but they do a credit check as well, so if your a bit shaky on that end they may be charging a "security" fee.

Did you tell them you wanted to buy the equipment? I know that it's expensive if you want to buy it outright, rather than lease.

Either way, thats really expensive. Is your installation really difficult?

No I just did a quick quote online without leaving any info. I Guess I should call and talk to a real person.

Have any of you guys lost service due to rain, high winds or something like that?

How's the DVR service.....easy to use, recording for scheduled programs and all that?

PQ and large displays?

Cable's non digital channels look awful. Once you get up to digital channels, it looks OK but still really bad.

Groundbeef
10-29-2007, 02:11 PM
No I just did a quick quote online without leaving any info. I Guess I should call and talk to a real person.

Have any of you guys lost service due to rain, high winds or something like that?

How's the DVR service.....easy to use, recording for scheduled programs and all that?

PQ and large displays?

Cable's non digital channels look awful. Once you get up to digital channels, it looks OK but still really bad.

Yeah, without info they are gonna go for "sale" on equipment. If you have decent or above credit, it won't nearly be that much.

I have lost service during a tornado 2 years ago. Of course the entire city was without power for 2-5 days depending upon location. I was out for 4.

I have also lost service during a blizzard, but was still able to pull in some locals via OTA.

I would estimate in 4 years of service not counting the tornado I have lost it 5 times. Generally it's only been for a few minutes until the box reconnets to the sat. I have to say it is really robust.

SD channels are pretty good. Some of it comes down to the TV. My Pioneer does a much better job "cleaning" up the SD broadcasts, than my Sony. HD is AWESOME on either channel. Also, DirecTV allows you to pull in OTA signals as well. This is handy unless you are in a major market and they pull in your local HD signals. If you are in Chicago/LA/NY they beam down your local HD signal. All markets get local signals beamed in for your regular package.

I'm a Tivo man myself. I can't bring myself to use the DirecTV DVR, rather I push it through my Tivo. I realize that I lose much with the HD channels this way, but TIVO is so much better IMHO.

Biggest picture I have is 50" and I have no complaints. Again, some of this will depend upon your TV. Some of the lesser brands don't display either cable or Sat SD very well.

pixelthis
10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I am gonna wait on my cable, they just added CNN and TBS, and are adding more all of the time.
I just dont understand, CNN? Wouldnt SCI-FI or some other be better?
WHO needs their left wing propaganda in HD?
But if you are a HD fan then six hundred seems reasonable for so many channels.
But will you be able to DVR them? A lot of functionality from my current setup is being able to DVR stuff to watch later. ALL of these channels wont be much good if you can't watch them:1:

topspeed
10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Have any of you guys lost service due to rain, high winds or something like that?Last night's thunderstorm that swept through the valley was the first time I lost the signal. It was out for about a minute or so. I don't know if it was from all the lightening, hail, or a combination of everything, but I will say that was the wildest storm I've seen in quite awhile.

How's the DVR service.....easy to use, recording for scheduled programs and all that? Personally, I far preferred TiVO as it was more intuitive. When they switched out my stb and dish (the new one is HUGE) this past weekend, they replaced my TiVO box with a standard DVR. It's pretty easy to use, but I still prefer TiVO.

PQ and large displays? Excellent.

Cable's non digital channels look awful. Once you get up to digital channels, it looks OK but still really bad.SD channels are pretty good actually. This is helped in no small part by your display type as LCoS simply looks better with SD channels than most other technologies. You don't get the noise in the signal that I've seen in friend's cable connections.

BTW, even though I have an OTA antenna, local channels are now beamed down from one of the satellites with the new dish they installed. If I'm getting locals, you will too.

L.J.
10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Top, we got hit a little but not as bad as you I guess. The power flickered a few times and that was about it. I love a good storm.