So, what's with India? First monkeys, now elephants. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, what's with India? First monkeys, now elephants.

markw
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Is this Mother Nature's revenge?

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/science/2007/10/23/India.Elephants/

JohnMichael
10-25-2007, 10:14 AM
When in India make sure you do not upset the Hijra.

markw
10-25-2007, 10:39 AM
When in India make sure you do not upset the Hijra.

"Becoming a hijra is a process of socialization into a "hijra family" through a relationship characterised as chela "student" to guru "teacher", leading to a gradual assumption of femininity. Stereotypically each guru lives with at least five chelas; her chelas assume her surname and are considered part of his lineage. Chelas are expected to give their income to their guru, who manages the household. Hijra families are close knit communities, which often have their own houses.

This process may culminate in a religious ritual that includes emasculation (total removal of the penis, testes and scrotum in men). Not all hijras undergo emasculation, and the percentage of hijras that are eunuchs is unknown. The operation—referred to by hijras as a nirvan ("rebirth") and carried out by a dai (traditional midwife)—involves removing the penis and scrotum with a knife without anesthesia."

That's not, by any stretch of the imagination, my interpertation of nirvana.

snipped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_(South_Asia), the "becoming a hijra" section

JohnMichael
10-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I think we are learning what will happen if we continue to abuse the earth and it's creatures.

markw
10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I think we are learning what will happen if we continue to abuse the earth and it's creatures.But when I had my cats fixed I'm sure they used anesthesia.

And, I'll forgo any drunken elephant jokes even though thoughts of my first wife fill my mind and make it difficult.

GMichael
10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I am so, so, very sorry that I clicked on this thread.:prrr: :blush2:

JohnMichael
10-25-2007, 12:56 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I am so, so, very sorry that I clicked on this thread.:prrr: :blush2:

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

GMichael
10-25-2007, 01:23 PM

Somethings are worse than death. I already pushed Sir T into a water cooler for making this threat to me. Anyone comes near my nads with a knife better be ready to rumble.
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

audio amateur
10-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Holy crap that sounds horrible

bobsticks
10-25-2007, 03:12 PM

Or in this case Mr. Nietzsche, " that which doesn't kill you helps you choose matching saris and ravikas". :ihih:

markw
10-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Somethings are worse than death. I already pushed Sir T into a water cooler for making this threat to me. Anyone comes near my nads with a knife better be ready to rumble.
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:There's no need to get "snippy" about it. ;)

GMichael
10-26-2007, 05:09 AM
There's no need to get "snippy" about it. ;)

Ba dump bump....

L.J.
10-26-2007, 06:34 AM
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Well I guess a vasectomy is out of the question for you :p

JohnMichael
10-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Or in this case Mr. Nietzsche, " that which doesn't kill you helps you choose matching saris and ravikas". :ihih:

Now this is my kind of humor. Respect for knowing what the phrase to be said to the robot in "The Day The Earth Stood Still" in a now deleted thread.

Rene Descartes walks into a McDonalds and orders a Big Mac and a coke.

The person at the counter asks "Would you like fries with your order"

Descartes answers "I think not" and disappears.

markw
10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
..replies "Make me one with everything?"

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Rene Descartes walks into a McDonalds and orders a Big Mac and a coke.

The person at the counter asks "Would you like fries with your order"

Descartes answers "I think not" and disappears.

LMAO! Good one.

JohnMichael
10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
..replies "Make me one with everything?"

Most excellent!

markw
10-29-2007, 03:46 AM
.. didn't get any change, he asked the vendor about it.

The vendor quietly replied "Change comes from within."