Some Maggie 1.6 Pictures [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some Maggie 1.6 Pictures

bubslewis
10-25-2007, 06:20 AM

Didn't get a picture of the modified crossovers, which are now external. It was a pretty messy job. I am no solderer. For music, I listen just to the Maggies on "pure direct" thru the yamaha into the B&K amp.

Bill

Feanor
10-25-2007, 12:27 PM

Didn't get a picture of the modified crossovers, which are now external. It was a pretty messy job. I am no solderer. For music, I listen just to the Maggies on "pure direct" thru the yamaha into the B&K amp.

Bill

Looking good, Bill :thumbsup:

What can you tell me about the Xover mods? Did you go internal or external?

Here are my 1.6's ...

http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Feanor-Stereo-Apr07.jpg

JohnMichael
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Gentlemen, both systems look very nice. I was glad to see turntables in both set-ups.

audio amateur
10-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Love the maggies. Wish I had some... Sony CD players seem to be popular. Are they any good?

bobsticks
10-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Nice systems gents. I don't think any of us needs to tell you to enjoy those beautiful gears, but I'll wish you many hours of peace while you do.

topspeed
10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Sony CD players seem to be popular. Are they any good? For SACD, yes. For rbcd, not my cup 'o tea, but tastes vary.

Very nice rig, Bub. It seems like your panels are fairly close to the back wall. Have you considered any acoustic treatments such as Feanor?

bubslewis
10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Looking good, Bill :thumbsup:

What can you tell me about the Xover mods? Did you go internal or external?

Here are my 1.6's ...

http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Feanor-Stereo-Apr07.jpg

Had to go external with the setup. Used an Alpha-Core air core inductor which was considerably larger than the original inductor. Also traded out the trio of original capacitors with three Hovland capacitors with similar capacitance. Upgraded the wiring with silver plated copper wire.

Right now the new stuff is just sitting on small black speaker shelves behind the speakers (haven't gotten around to making housings for them yet).

Sonic improvements: Bass response seems a little better to me. Also vocalists seem a bit more forward than before. I can't say I noticed any earth shaking improvements over the original xover equipment, but then the maggies already sounded pretty damn good right out of the box.

Bill

bubslewis
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
For SACD, yes. For rbcd, not my cup 'o tea, but tastes vary.

Very nice rig, Bub. It seems like your panels are fairly close to the back wall. Have you considered any acoustic treatments such as Feanor?

Panels are 3 feet 4 inches from the back wall, which I don't think is too bad. Would be hard to move them out too much farther since my listening chair is about 9 feet in front, but is backed up against a pool table ( the old immovable object).

I have considered some acoustic paneling, but the wife wasn't too keen about "messing up the walls". What advantages are there to having something behind the speakers. I've seen suggestions of artificial plants, sections of baffled paneling, foam tubes etc etc. What exactly would that do? Wouldn't that interfere with the dipole effect of the speakers?
Bill

jrhymeammo
10-25-2007, 07:56 PM
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Picture_107.jpg

I got mine paired up with Mills "Audiophile Grade" 0.5 ohm 12 watt Resistors with a nice result. I miss tubes though....

Happy listenin'

JRA

SlumpBuster
10-26-2007, 07:01 AM
And here I was expecting to see some fit looking Irish lasses. Get it? Maggies... I slay.

The problem with maggies is that they always look so much better and classier than anything else. Very, very nice indeed fellas. I need to get a bigger house. :D

Feanor
10-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Panels are 3 feet 4 inches from the back wall, which I don't think is too bad. Would be hard to move them out too much farther since my listening chair is about 9 feet in front, but is backed up against a pool table ( the old immovable object).
Bill

That should be enough, IMO. My own 1.6's are just under 3 feet, so I do use a treatment that consists of high-sound-absorbing ceiling tile. The tile panel is also angled with respect the speaker so there is deflection as well as absorption of the rear wave; (see pic). Deflection would work less well with true ribbon models because of their wider dispersion of highs.

GMichael
10-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Very nice looking systems. I love Maggies. More pics please.:biggrin5:

topspeed
10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
have considered some acoustic paneling, but the wife wasn't too keen about "messing up the walls". What advantages are there to having something behind the speakers. I've seen suggestions of artificial plants, sections of baffled paneling, foam tubes etc etc. What exactly would that do? Wouldn't that interfere with the dipole effect of the speakers?
BillBecause your speakers are dipole, they are much more reactive to their acoustic environment. Your back wall appears to be wood paneling. If so, it is likely highly reflective and could be sending the rear wave forward in a manner that may or may not have detrimental affects to the primary (front facing) signal. IIRC, Maggie recommends at least 3' of space between the rear wall and speaker to address this very issue. If that isn't possible, I think you'll find some acoustic treatments will focus your mids and tighten up your bass response.

Mind you, treatments are important for ALL speakers, not just dipole Maggies. At the bare minimum, first order reflections should be addressed by anyone interested in optimizing their rig. Room acoustics are the second most important aspect of good sound right after the speaker, and we already know you have great speakers!

BTW, tell your wife that acoustic treatments don't have to be ugly. Look up LJ's install in the gallery and you'll see some beautiful DIY wall panels :thumbsup: ! You might also consider browsing the DIY forum here or PM'ing Kexodusc, Woochifer, LJ, or Sir Terrence for advice on acoustic treatments. All are well schooled in this, especially Sir T as he's a sound engineer and installer.

Hope this helps.

audio amateur
10-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Topspeed. There's a model on ebay from '04 , it's a Sony 'QS' range, has SACD and multichannel (which I wouldn't use) playback. This is why I ask. I know it's a risk but it's at a good price, so i'm interested.

I don't get why you need absorption, wouldn't you want the rear wave to be 'in-phase' with the front one, a.k.a have the speaker as close as possible to the back wall in order for both waves to hit the listener at approx. the same time?
When you think about the speed of sound, 6 feet (if the Maggie is 3 feet from the wall) is not a huge distance to catch up with the front/direct wave.

topspeed
10-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Topspeed. There's a model on ebay from '04 , it's a Sony 'QS' range, has SACD and multichannel (which I wouldn't use) playback. This is why I ask. I know it's a risk but it's at a good price, so i'm interested.Not familiar with the QS range. Isn't ES their audiophile range still? Whatever, I still don't like the way they do rbcd, and since I have a LOT more rbcd's than sacd's, I place more importance on the latter. Yamaha and Denon make sacd/universal players that are extremely competitive with Sony on SACD yet, IMO, do a far better job at rbcd. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

I don't get why you need absorption, wouldn't you want the rear wave to be 'in-phase' with the front one, a.k.a have the speaker as close as possible to the back wall in order for both waves to hit the listener at approx. the same time? No. The challenge is that different walls will have different absorbtive properties. You don't know what is going to get absorbed vs. what is going to be reflected and whether or not it will be in phase. Therefore chances are some parts of the frequency spectrum will be amplified from waves compounding while others cancel each other out by being out of phase. You're left with a mishmash of sound that isn't nearly what it could be.

When you think about the speed of sound, 6 feet (if the Maggie is 3 feet from the wall) is not a huge distance to catch up with the front/direct wave.Different frequencies have different wavelengths. That's the problem.

dean_martin
10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Gentlemen, both systems look very nice. I was glad to see turntables in both set-ups.

I 2nd JM's comments. Good job, guys.

audio amateur
10-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Cheers. I left the question open to anyone but thanks for answering. Yes I forgot about those wave lengths...
I guess having a thickly carpeted back wall would be good, however that still wouldn't affect bass frequencies.

Yes ES is the more expensive line but as i can see QS is something of the sort aswell. The model in question is the SCD XB790 'QS'. If someone has any feedback i'd be gratefull for some.
Beautiful pics once again. Keep on posting, and enjoy!:):)

HoJ
11-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Not 1.6, but my MG12...
http://avforum.no/minhifi/users/wmorig/44a7a073fab5ada0f4dea95d991c36f8.JPG

http://avforum.no/minhifi/users/wmorig/1524cefb09b1f597b582c94717f85df0.JPG

audio amateur
11-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Gotta love the MG12's... cheers for posting
And welcome to the forum!

HoJ
12-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks audio amateur!

I love the sound those speakers gives me more and more..

O'Shag
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Bubs, Jrhym, Feanor - great pics and all nice setups.

O'Shag
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
You just can't argue with the fact that the Maggies are a great sounding speaker..

Bill Bailey, I think I'm seeing the amps on the lower shelves. What amps are they? They seem to be monoblocks, and very compact. I also see a Sonic Frontiers preamp. Line 2? And is that a Musical Fidelity component on top of it? By the way, also love the rug.

JRyhm, really like the way you have the components laid out on the LP shelving/credenza. Looks very good.

HoJ, welcome. What components are you using?

Florian
01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
When i started this crazy hobby my first speaker was a Maggie 0.5 and then a 1.6 before moving to the 3.6's and then Apogees. I dug out my old 1.6 picture too :)

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1128648676.jpg

Feanor
01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
You just can't argue with the fact that the Maggies are a great sounding speaker..

Bill Bailey, I think I'm seeing the amps on the lower shelves. What amps are they? They seem to be monoblocks, and very compact. I also see a Sonic Frontiers preamp. Line 2? And is that a Musical Fidelity component on top of it? By the way, also love the rug.

Yep, the MG 1.6QR's are pretty good; I have no plan or even thoughts of replacing mine.

These components, top to bottom ...

http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Components4-Nov07-700.jpg

Denon TU-767 tuner
Sony SCD-CE775 SACD player
Sonic Frontiers LINE 1 preamp, (gain tubes are Amperex 6299 USA white label 'PQ')
M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card
Assemblage DAC 1.5, (modded by Parts ConneXion)
Belkin PureAV BF60 power filterThe monoblock amps you see on the bottom shelf in the full picture (http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/SysPic-Nov07-1024.jpg) are Monarchy SM-70 Pro's. On the lowest left shelf is my dedicated WinXp computer.

Thanks, the carpet is a modern, hand-knotted Persian, about 8' x 9'.

audio amateur
01-11-2008, 02:41 AM
It's fun to see each and every one's decorations:)

blackraven
01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey, Jrhymeammo, Looks like you have a T-series REL sub. How do you like it? I keep want to upgrade to a REL but I only use my sub for HT not music. The RELs mix well with Maggies, better than any other sub I have heard.

E-Stat
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
These components, top to bottom ...
Bill,

I think you forgot to mention the Shakti Elephant RFI Absorbers stationed on either side of the DAC. :)

rw

Feanor
01-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Bill,

I think you forgot to mention the Shakti Elephant RFI Absorbers stationed on either side of the DAC. :)

rw

'Way better than Brilliant Pebbles :biggrin5: