Speaker Wire? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wire?

Sansui71
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Okay, so how many of you are using 12 gauge? My question relates to the amount of copper wires, intwined behind the rubber core. Monster cable is what to 12 gauge wire? My front speakers are approximately 4.5 feet from my receiver, with the rears at 8 feet. Does one really need the expense of Monster cable? Is it that important to have as many copper wires, as one can get? Am I misinformed as to what Monster cable is? My old Sansui's just have the screw down cap. I have cut back the rubber approximately one inch,from the end of the wire, and inserted the bare part, into the post cap. I have noticed, that after a period of time, that the screw down, comes loose, and I can hear the difference between left and right. Not sure I understand that, must be the little gremlins living inside the speaker box......

bubslewis
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
If your maximum speaker wire run is only 8 feet for the rears and 4 feet for the front, then your current 12 gauge wire is already in the overkill area. I would suggest you try and borrow some Monster cable and see if you can gleen any difference from your current speaker wire,

Monster costs too much.

Bill

Mr Peabody
10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
The difference you hear between speakers is the bad connection when the thumb screw works loose. I'd suggest maybe getting a spade connector that will crimp onto the bare wire and then the spade should fit under the screw flat enough for you to tork it down and keep a good connection.

My system definitely benefits from better speaker wire and the sound improvement is noticeable. I'd think with B&K and Maggies the benefit would be heard as well. But the best advice you did give, try it. Some systems may not have the resolution to show the differences or maybe some people aren't as critical in listening to discern any difference. I'm not a big fan of Monster myself but companies like Audioquest, Cardas, Siltech, Transparent etc offer some pretty good products. Budget minded can find good value in Maple Shade or Tributaries who offer products in Monster's price range, or cheaper, but give better performance.

bfalls
10-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Different wire shouldn't make your speakers sound different. Just as drinking from a longer or larger diameter straw shouldn't make your drink taste different. That's not to say different speaker wires don't sound different, they just shouldn't. Good ones should be transparent and not add or subtract (color) anything from the original recording.

Larger diameter wire has less resistance which means it's best suited for longer runs. Every wire has different levels of resistance, capacitance and inductance. When connected to your speakers they can change the values of your crossover network, thus changing the intended frequency response and crossover points of the speaker. Wire manufactureres attempt to control these parameters so any adverse effects fall outside the audio range.

SInce you require very short wires you won't need larger guage wire. Also with very short runs your budget allows for experimentation. Try different wires at different cost points and let your ears be your guide. Listen without a salesman, so his comments won't affect your decision.

basite
10-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't think you'll hear a big difference between standard 12 gauge cable and monster 12 gauge cable. I do think you'll hear a difference between standard 12 gauge cable and lessay, Kimber cables, like the 4VS or the 8VS, depending on how much power you're dumping in your speakers...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=bfalls]Different wire shouldn't make your speakers sound different. Just as drinking from a longer or larger diameter straw shouldn't make your drink taste different. That's not to say different speaker wires don't sound different, they just shouldn't. Good ones should be transparent and not add or subtract (color) anything from the original recording.

Larger diameter wire has less resistance which means it's best suited for longer runs. Every wire has different levels of resistance, capacitance and inductance. When connected to your speakers they can change the values of your crossover network, thus changing the intended frequency response and crossover points of the speaker. Wire manufactureres attempt to control these parameters so any adverse effects fall outside the audio range]

And what is our reference to tell which presentation is closest to the original recording? If a speaker connect takes your system closer to what you enjoy or gives a noticeable improvement then why not.

A straw of different thickness of same material may not change the flavor but it changes how difficult or easy it is to drink. Take a straw of same, or different, thicknesses BUT different material (ie plastic vs glass vs metal) and then you may taste a difference.

I can't tell you why speaker connects or interconnects sound different but I have found they do. Many of the changes are due to metalergy, or, the way the wire is wound, stretched or stranded, solid or many strands, variations of isolation and insulation etc.

It's not to say that some companies wouldn't stoop to deception to make a buck. The best advice, and I think we all can agree, is to try it yourself. Some valid cables may have synergy with one system and not do much for another.

emorphien
10-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Having listened to many wires, there's not much difference and there really shouldn't be. Gauge in my experience is what matters most. If you've got a decent performing wire of a suitable gauge for your situation (which includes run length) then you'll likely be OK.

Going back and forth between $30 and $8000 interconnects there were no appreciable differences that one could readily identify. Same goes for my experience with speaker wire, on a variety of systems, and it is mirrored by those that were with me (as much as the store wanted to sell us on wires we wouldn't be able to afford anyway).

I have 11 gauge wires in my stereo, it's nice stuff but not exorbitantly priced. Listen to some things yourself and draw your own conclusion, don't let anyone convince you of anything because otherwise that's how we wind up with people ranting and raving about digital clocks with orange dots on them.

dingus
10-25-2007, 09:24 PM
here's a good primer on speakers wire ...
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Sansui71
10-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Okay, so how many of you are using 12 gauge? My question relates to the amount of copper wires, intwined behind the rubber core. Monster cable is what to 12 gauge wire? My front speakers are approximately 4.5 feet from my receiver, with the rears at 8 feet. Does one really need the expense of Monster cable? Is it that important to have as many copper wires, as one can get? Am I misinformed as to what Monster cable is? My old Sansui's just have the screw down cap. I have cut back the rubber approximately one inch,from the end of the wire, and inserted the bare part, into the post cap. I have noticed, that after a period of time, that the screw down, comes loose, and I can hear the difference between left and right. Not sure I understand that, must be the little gremlins living inside the speaker box......
Okay, thanks guys. I thought that is was pretty simple, but needed some other input, to justify my conscience.