Need advice building a new HTS, whats YOUR thoughts... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice building a new HTS, whats YOUR thoughts...

squrlcage
10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
First of all i'm a newbie, had the same Kenwood KA-894 system since i lived at my p's house (now 36). I'd like to spend around $1500 on the 5.1 speakers. The room is 20x14x8, the couch is 12' from my new Sony Bravia 52' Here's the new system that i'm thinking of geting, mainly for movies, if you think these choices are crap, please share your thoughts, especially if you have a better speaker choice.

RECEIVER----------------------------------------------------------Pioneer VSX-91TXH(1.3a HDMI cables)

MAINS/SURROUNDS/CENTER-----------------------------Polk (RTi8 for mains.) (Has anyone heard anything about the new line coming out?)

SUBWOOFER______________________________Velodyne DPS 12

PLAYER___________________________________(thinking of geting the PS3, hopefully in the future it will be able to decode DTS MASTER HD AUDIO)

SlumpBuster
10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
This is what a newbie post should look like! No references to HTiB, no reference to thrift shop speakers, and no unrealistic expectations. Why? Because I bet you looked around and did some research before posting.

Good selection and I can't really quibble with any of your choices, except the sub. Velodyne is good, but I think that particular sub is sloppy. That line replaced the "CT" and "CTH" line, which were surprisingly good subs. DPS sounds bloated and chuffy. "Chuffy" means you can audibly hear air moving out of the port (slotted port if I'm remembering right). Bloated you can fix with room positioning, chuffy you can't really fix with anything.
I came to the conclusion awhile back with subs that you really are better off using mail order companies, at least in the under $2500 market. Look at the Titanic series from Parts Express (it is a kit), and HSU and AV123.

L.J.
10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I auditioned that Pioneer. Nice unit!

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about DTSMA. Most BR have a TrueHD or uncompressed PCM track, which current players can decode. I own about 35 BR titles and only 2 have a DTSMA track.

squrlcage
10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
This is what a newbie post should look like! No references to HTiB, no reference to thrift shop speakers, and no unrealistic expectations. Why? Because I bet you looked around and did some research before posting.

Good selection and I can't really quibble with any of your choices, except the sub. Velodyne is good, but I think that particular sub is sloppy. That line replaced the "CT" and "CTH" line, which were surprisingly good subs. DPS sounds bloated and chuffy. "Chuffy" means you can audibly hear air moving out of the port (slotted port if I'm remembering right). Bloated you can fix with room positioning, chuffy you can't really fix with anything.
I came to the conclusion awhile back with subs that you really are better off using mail order companies, at least in the under $2500 market. Look at the Titanic series from Parts Express (it is a kit), and HSU and AV123.Thanks for the compliment and advice, i HAVE been doing a bit of research and is still confused about uncompressed PCM tracks, (not sure what PCM is actually) and bitsteam etc. But thanks guys for the info!

PeruvianSkies
10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I auditioned that Pioneer. Nice unit!

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about DTSMA. Most BR have a TrueHD or uncompressed PCM track, which current players can decode. I own about 35 BR titles and only 2 have a DTSMA track.

I second that motion on the Pioneer.

L.J.
10-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the compliment and advice, i HAVE been doing a bit of research and is still confused about uncompressed PCM tracks, (not sure what PCM is actually) and bitsteam etc. But thanks guys for the info!

Read this:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/High-Def_FAQ:_Blu-ray_and_HD_DVD_Audio_Explained/1064