HDMI vs. Analog vs. Digital vs. Component winner is.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI vs. Analog vs. Digital vs. Component winner is....

gman086
10-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Got the new Marantz components (SR 8100 a/v reciever and DV 7100 universal player) and did the cable WAR! First off the Marantz pieces are quite a step up from my old Yamaha gear. Took all of about one listening minute to lose that buyer's remorse for shelling out the jingo! Then did a TON of critical listening (and viewing) with various cables and interconnects to see if all this HDMI stuff is just hype or what (both pieces support HDMI). Survey says... HDMI was the CLEAR winner! Cable used was Monster's M1000 (their best HDMI cable). I'd already compared it with other "cheaper" HDMI cables for video and found it superior with my LCOS JVC HDTV so I was really curious as to how it would do for audio. The analog cables used were Zcable Live interconnects (these were smokin good on the Yamaha system), some of the best I've ever used so I was rather disappointed that they were very flat with the Marantz's. Soundstage and depth were just lacking. Then tried good "medium grade" coax and optical for digital. This was an improvement which I found interesting because the Z-cable always outperformed the same digital cables on my Yamaha setup. Everything sounded great to me and I was very happy. Took forever to figure out how to configure the receiver AND universal player to both put out and read HDMI but when it did... PURE is all I can say. Just pure sound, dark deep background with huge soundstage and vocal presence. It's like the recording is in your listening room! Music is very precise and clean. So there you have it. My eyes and ears don't lie - This particular HDMI cable SMOKED them all and I'm going that route. No more jumbled cable mess behind components. Now I need 2 more HDMI cables to complete the setup (dvd and cable box to receiver and receiver to monitor since monitor only has one input). SO I plan to try Belkin's Silver Pure's and directly compared to the pricey Monster (save some jingo since I can get the Belkins deeply discounted). If you don't think there's a difference in cable then you haven't tried the M1000 from Monster. I guarantee you'll see and hear a difference. I hope I'm as impressed with the Belkin's. That report should be in within a week. If you're still an HDMI skeptic... well take the challenge yourself, you can always return them! It's here and NOW! There is no turning back for me.

Cheers,

G MAN

musicman1999
10-22-2007, 01:36 AM
I would venture that what you are hearing is the difference in DAC's.When using analog you are using the players DAC, with digital you use the recievers.It sounds like your reciever has better DAC's than the player, perhaps on your previous set up this was noy the case.
I have not tried Belkin cables but have read that they are good cables for the money, likely trash that Monster.

bill

gman086
10-22-2007, 07:53 AM
I would venture that what you are hearing is the difference in DAC's.When using analog you are using the players DAC, with digital you use the recievers.It sounds like your reciever has better DAC's than the player, perhaps on your previous set up this was noy the case.
I have not tried Belkin cables but have read that they are good cables for the money, likely trash that Monster.

bill

Hey Bill!

That would seem logical except I'd heard so many great things about Marantz's universal players and the DAC in the DV7001 is the same as in their flagship DV9600 (to my understanding) so that doesn't make sense to me. Unless the DAC is bad? I did buy the DV7001 used (couldn't afford new). The Receiver is Marantz's top of the line (last year's model).

Also something I'll point out: You need a universal player with HDMI 1.2 at least (1.3 is even better) to transmit the digital info of SACD multi-channel sound or you're stuck with all those freakin RCA interconnects. My receiver is 1.2 compatible for input (1.1 out) but the DV7001 is only HDMI 1.1 and will not output that signal. This was a disappointment for me.

Best,

G

pixelthis
10-23-2007, 12:34 AM
I use a HDMI 2 into one switcher to run DVD and cable into the one HDMI in that I have,
and I am glad you got the same results I did.
Only thing is my 1200$ receiver only has componet switching, and I AM NOT GETTING RID OF IT JUST FOR VIDEO SWITCHING.
The fact that I am living with a switcher just so I can have HDMI shows what I think about it:1:

gman086
10-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Well did the head-to-head HDMI cable test today with the high end Belkin Silver Pures versus Monster M1000 HDMI's and the winner is... unfortunately for my pocket book the Monster was slightly better for both audio and video. Not enough to justify the price difference ($110/cable) but now what's a perfectionist to do? I may just use the direct hookup from cable box to TV (with the Monster) and forego the DVD's HDMI video outs using component instead since I don't really watch all that many DVD's but the sound is better for CD's too so... where to find good prices on Monster HDMI cables??? Sheesh, why did I ever look at the hi priced monsters to begin with?

Have FUN!

G