i have speaker qestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : i have speaker qestions

speakerz
10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
hi everyone.... i have two floor speakers that need 12" subwoofers these speakers are a sealed type no bass ports holes or anything will these work with a regular speaker box without an amp just a pioneer stereo 290 watts............ http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-367

Mr Peabody
10-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't understand your question. Are wanting to add a sub, use the floorstanders as sub or neither?

You can't run a speaker off a sub out, it has to have some amplification that's why subs have built in amps, for the most part. Whether the receiver will drive the floorstanders really depends on what speaker it is.

Feanor
10-21-2007, 04:25 PM
hi everyone.... i have two floor speakers that need 12" subwoofers these speakers are a sealed type no bass ports holes or anything will these work with a regular speaker box without an amp just a pioneer stereo 290 watts............ http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-367

The Goldwood drivers you are refering to are notable in a couple of ways:

They are dual voice coil, i.e. designed to be used as a single subwoofer driven by left & right inputs, however a pair can be used in a left and right by connecting the dual voice coils of each dirver together in parallel, i.e. each coil driver from the same + and the same - connection.
They will work best in a sealed box, but they require a relatively large box. My box program calculates 5.5 cu.ft. for box completely full of (e.g.) polyester damping material. (If less than completely full of stuffing, an even larger box would be required.)If you speaker cabinets are significantly less than 5 cu.ft., these Goldwoods might not work well, specifically they are likely to sound boated and boomy.

speakerz
10-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't understand your question. Are wanting to add a sub, use the floorstanders as sub or neither?

You can't run a speaker off a sub out, it has to have some amplification that's why subs have built in amps, for the most part. Whether the receiver will drive the floorstanders really depends on what speaker it is.

This might make more sense.. i have 2 floor speakers 3 ways they need 12" subwoofers they are sealed boxes will these subwoofers work....[url]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-367[/url .............if these wont work do u no of any that will work for around the same price and power.....btw my stereo is a 4 speaker port pioneer sx-v500 any good? 290 watt

Mr Peabody
10-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Do you mean you want to put the 12" woofers in your floorstanding speaker cabinet? If this is the case you need to find a woofer with specs close to the one that came out of it. Not only does the woofer need to fit the cabinet volume but it also needs to fit the criteria the crossover was designed for. It would also need to match the original woofers sensitivity, too low and you might not hear it over the loudness of the mids/highs, too high and you may not have much mids/highs.

If you are looking to build a sub I personally would look for one that would sound good in a much smaller cabinet.

basite
10-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I think he means that his speakers have blown woofers, and need replacements...

what speakers are they exactly? 12" is big, so I think they're vintage speakers, since twelves are hardly used anymore unless you go in the $$$ class...

maybe they had foam surrounds and just need new surrounds...

and to avoid confusion: he's looking for a new woofer not a subwoofer
now, here's the thing, you can't just get a new woofer and dump it in the old woofer hole. You'll need woofers that are very similar to the original ones, otherwise, you will mess up the entire speaker.

oh yeah, your pioneer doesn't put out 290 watts... that's the power consumption, specs say that it will put out 80 watts, and I think those 80 watts will be on a good day...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

markw
10-22-2007, 07:04 AM
If that floor system you mentioned has any other speakers in it, (mids, tweeters, etc..) you should be looking at woofers, NOT subwoofers. ...big difference.

GMichael
10-22-2007, 07:28 AM
I think that one of these would work better: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=484

Which one, depends on what 12" woofer you are pulling out. Can you give us some info on what speakers you have? Are they a brand name? If so, what model. If they are DIY speakers, what can you tell us about the design? Are these a new set of DIYers or are you replacing something blown?

SlumpBuster
10-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm going to post advise that is very different from that posted so far, but it is based on a couple of assumptions:

Here are the assumptions:
1. You're young (like teenager young);
2. You don't have alot of money to spend;
3. You're just looking to rock out;
4. There are no pawnshops near you.
5. Shipping charges make ebay useless (i.e. shipping on $40 set of speakers (http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-PIONEER-Vintage-CS-G203-3-Way-Speakers_W0QQitemZ200163432955QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1 4993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) will be $100 - see number 2 above).

If all the above are true, then I would select a cheapy from this list and drop it in (ONLY 8 OHM otherwise you'll be looking for a new receiver soon):
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=484

Is it ideal? No. Is it fun? Hell yeah. Will you learn something? Definately. I spent a better part of my college career cobbling together all kinds of "Frankenspeakers" for myself and my friends. All kinds of junk was used, even some pro-sound and even a 12 from a Marshall combo once. Did any of it match? No. Did it get us through the weekend? Hell yeah.

Final question: Has everyone else given you good advice? Definately. I just wanted to provide a different persepective.

speakerz
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I think that one of these would work better: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=484

Which one, depends on what 12" woofer you are pulling out. Can you give us some info on what speakers you have? Are they a brand name? If so, what model. If they are DIY speakers, what can you tell us about the design? Are these a new set of DIYers or are you replacing something blown?

here are some specs they are technics woofers (thrift store 5$) no watt listed very small magnet.10 oz. and not blown not original/ here is name/ montgomery ward model# gen 66958 8 ohms if my pioneer is no good i have a 325 watt jvc the speakers have and 8inch mid range and a 2x8 horn 12inch woofer also if u can could u find specs on a jvc rx-r85bk stereo reciever

SlumpBuster
10-22-2007, 01:06 PM
If they aren't blown, then why do you want to replace them? If you are just looking for better sound, then you are better off going with new speakers.

At the risk of sounding like a d!ck, most of us have alot of money tied up in this hobby. Even the bargain basement guys among us have spent some serious coin. Accordingly, it is likely you'll be steared in that direction, i.e. spending a couple hundred bucks on some Paradigm Atoms or Bostons, or even some Fluance or Sdat. If we're talking about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, it's not going to happen.

Also, don't be afraid of punctuation or grammer, it is your friend. :D

speakerz
10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
i could spend that money but i want floor speakers that will give serious bass not some 6 or 8 inch woofers only 12 or bigger any ideas? Also these speakers i have, have unbelievably clear sound for being over 30 years old and the only reason im looking for new woofes is because these were technics they have a wierd size difference than an actual 12" woofer and they wont fit right they are put in by some metal extenders that were made just to bolt them in. If you can find any cheap speakers with good bass post a link. thanks.

markw
10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
i could spend that money but i want floor speakers that will give serious bass not some 6 or 8 inch woofers only 12 or bigger any ideas? Also these speakers i have, have unbelievably clear sound for being over 30 years old and the only reason im looking for new woofes is because these were technics they have a wierd size difference than an actual 12" woofer and they wont fit right they are put in by some metal extenders that were made just to bolt them in. If you can find any cheap speakers with good bass post a link. thanks.
.you can't polish a turd. You're just throwing good money after bad.

Save your money and look for some used DCM KX series speakers or some used Cerwin Vegas! Keep an eye on Ebay and your local craigslist.

Mr Peabody
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Or, keep your speakers intact and actually add a subwoofer.

speakerz
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
i heard this term go around "boomy" what do they mean/ just a random question

markw
10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
i heard this term go around "boomy" what do they mean/ just a random questionToo much upper/mid bass. No real deep bass.

speakerz
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Too much upper/mid bass. No real deep bass.

well now i know that my speakers arent boomy :) even though everyone thinks they are crappy

basite
10-23-2007, 06:37 AM
here are some specs they are technics woofers (thrift store 5$) no watt listed very small magnet.10 oz. and not blown not original/ here is name/ montgomery ward model# gen 66958 8 ohms if my pioneer is no good i have a 325 watt jvc the speakers have and 8inch mid range and a 2x8 horn 12inch woofer also if u can could u find specs on a jvc rx-r85bk stereo reciever

here again: that watt rating is most likely to be the consumption... The only receiver I knew that put out more than 300 watts per channel (330) was a technics SA-1000, which is too darn rare, frigging huge (63 cm wide) and weighs a stunning 40 kg...

if your speakers aren't broken, don't try to upgrade them. Leave them alone, if you want more bass, then get a sub. if you don't want a sub, then get different speakers. Previously mentioned was Cerwin Vega, look into them.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

speakerz
10-23-2007, 07:40 AM
here again: that watt rating is most likely to be the consumption... The only receiver I knew that put out more than 300 watts per channel (330) was a technics SA-1000, which is too darn rare, frigging huge (63 cm wide) and weighs a stunning 40 kg...

if your speakers aren't broken, don't try to upgrade them. Leave them alone, if you want more bass, then get a sub. if you don't want a sub, then get different speakers. Previously mentioned was Cerwin Vega, look into them.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

no my jvc is not 325 per channel its two channeled (stereo) 112.5 per channel 325 overall and my pioneer is 290 or 300 watts and is 75 watts per channel thats what i was saying make sense?

Also these speakers are not original woofers the originals had much more bass thats why im looking for something better to put in

markw
10-23-2007, 07:50 AM
112.5 times 2 is 225, not 325 and I've never seen a stereo with a watt rating that includes a .5. What model is that JVC?

And, before I answer if you're making any sense, perhaps you should simply lurk hear a while and read other posts in all the forums.

You've gotten some very good advice on your speaker situation. It's up to you wether you choose to accept it or ignore it. It's your money, not ours.

speakerz
10-23-2007, 07:55 AM
112.5 times 2 is 225, not 325 and I've never seen a stereo with a .watt rating that includes a .5.

And, before I answer if you're making any sense, perhaps you should simply lurk hear a while and read other posts in all the forums. I think you could use it. You've got some strange misconceptions

i ment 162.5 and .5 is because it is 325 and its two channels and to divide that up is not even. here is the model number check and see if u can find anything that will help to understand this JVC RX-R85bk

speakerz
10-23-2007, 07:59 AM
should i take a picture of the stereos ? just to show them

markw
10-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Since you're still hopped up about replacing those woofers and don't buy what we're saying , you may want to check out this site.

http://www.madisound.com/index.html

Near the bottom of the page there's a link to their discussion forum.

Like this one, you'll have to register but the entire forum is made up of speaker nuts who live to build speakers. Maybe they can give you the answers you want to hear. They may have to ask you a few questiions to find out what it is you need, but I'm sure you can handle that, right?

basite
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
should i take a picture of the stereos ? just to show them

If you care to, but I'd be more with a picture of the speakers... and of the driver in question...

speakerz
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
thanks for all the ideas im just gonna use these woofers until they go bad or i find a good deal on speakers bye

SlumpBuster
10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
112.5 times 2 is 225, not 325 and I've never seen a stereo with a watt rating that includes a .5. What model is that JVC?

Not to lend any credibility to this guy, but I have. I can't tell you the brand for sure, I want to say Aiwa or JVC. You will see it alot in car stereos. I always assumed it was just fuzzy math or screwing around with theoretical ohm loads. "15.5 watts at 3.4ohms at 1124hz!"

Also, I find it highly improbable that these things are putting out any sub bass.

speakerz
10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
what do you mean like hooked up to an amp with a subwoofer?