RTR Model C Series IV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RTR Model C Series IV

thekid
10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I have another post on these speakers on the speaker site but thought I would cast with a bigger net here. Any info anyone can give me on RTR Model C Series IV speakers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

cjpremierfour
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
From the Orion Blue Book:
made from 1982 to 83
New List $460 a pair

There is a web site called AudioKarma that has information on classic audio, you should try there also.

thekid
10-26-2007, 07:16 PM
From the Orion Blue Book:
made from 1982 to 83
New List $460 a pair

There is a web site called AudioKarma that has information on classic audio, you should try there also.

CJ

Welcome and thank you for your response.
I did log on to a few other communiites and Audio Karma was one of them where I was able to pick up some additional info on these speakers. Cincy @ Audio Karma was able to provide the following info;

Woofer is 12 inch speaker in acoustic suspension enclosure. Midrange is 3 5/8 cone. Tweeter is 2 3/4 cone. Second tweeter is 2x5 piezo horn.
Frequency range is 30hz to 30khz
Separate level control for mid and high freq.
Sound pressure level for 1 watt at 1 meter is 91db.
Crossover freq. is 2k-4k-7.5k
Nominal system impedance is 8 ohms.
Speaker weight is 44 lbs. each.
Price for the pair was 460.00 dollars in 1982.

He also mentioned the woofer uses a treated cloth surround instead of foam. I have never heard of this so if any one has tips on any conditioning tips I should use given the age of these speakers please let me know.

Thanks again CJ!

Feanor
10-27-2007, 06:24 AM
CJ

Welcome and thank you for your response.
I did log on to a few other communiites and Audio Karma was one of them where I was able to pick up some additional info on these speakers. Cincy @ Audio Karma was able to provide the following info;

Woofer is 12 inch speaker in acoustic suspension enclosure. Midrange is 3 5/8 cone. Tweeter is 2 3/4 cone. Second tweeter is 2x5 piezo horn.
Frequency range is 30hz to 30khz
Separate level control for mid and high freq.
Sound pressure level for 1 watt at 1 meter is 91db.
Crossover freq. is 2k-4k-7.5k
Nominal system impedance is 8 ohms.
Speaker weight is 44 lbs. each.
Price for the pair was 460.00 dollars in 1982.

He also mentioned the woofer uses a treated cloth surround instead of foam. I have never heard of this so if any one has tips on any conditioning tips I should use given the age of these speakers please let me know.

Thanks again CJ!

These specs suggest to me that this speaker was designed to be a rocker -- not the thing for chamber music. The cone drivers, high crossover points, and the cloth surround woofer imply this purpose.

Cloth surrounds are very common today on professional, i.e. sound reenforcement, bass drivers. I don't know about the availability of replacement cloth surrounds, but suitable replacement woofer could be found from among pro or even hi-fi bass drivers. The trick there would be to match the driver to the size of, and degree of stuffing in, your seal enclosers; (the cloth surround aspect isn't an issue).

thekid
10-27-2007, 07:42 AM
These specs suggest to me that this speaker was designed to be a rocker -- not the thing for chamber music. The cone drivers, high crossover points, and the cloth surround woofer imply this purpose.

Cloth surrounds are very common today on professional, i.e. sound reenforcement, bass drivers. I don't know about the availability of replacement cloth surrounds, but suitable replacement woofer could be found from among pro or even hi-fi bass drivers. The trick there would be to match the driver to the size of, and degree of stuffing in, your seal enclosers; (the cloth surround aspect isn't an issue).

Feanor
Thanks for the reply. One thread I did find did indicate that in their day RTR had a good rep as producing speakers that were rockers as you mention. However I actually I have been listening to alot of classical music on them and they seemed to produce better sound with Vivaldi and Handel than with Cheap Trick or Dire Straits but I am still experimenting with location and settings for the tweeter and mid-range. I think a better amp/reciever might help as well. Based on what you I listed previously do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Feanor
10-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Feanor
Thanks for the reply. One thread I did find did indicate that in their day RTR had a good rep as producing speakers that were rockers as you mention. However I actually I have been listening to alot of classical music on them and they seemed to produce better sound with Vivaldi and Handel than with Cheap Trick or Dire Straits but I am still experimenting with location and settings for the tweeter and mid-range. I think a better amp/reciever might help as well. Based on what you I listed previously do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Kid,

Far be it from me to discourage anyone from listening to classical music on anything.

I'm not sure which list you're referring to, but a better amp can never hurts.

thekid
10-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Feanor

Sorry for the garbled message previously.
I was wondering if you had any amp suggestions based on the info I had listed earlier for this speaker in terms of the size and types of drivers.

Feanor
10-28-2007, 04:27 AM
Feanor

Sorry for the garbled message previously.
I was wondering if you had any amp suggestions based on the info I had listed earlier for this speaker in terms of the size and types of drivers.

If you're on a budget, (let's say), a vintage integrated amp can work very well with this vintage speaker. I've seen plenty of 60-80 watt integrates going for <$100 on eBay. Those are fairly efficient speakers so you don't need huge power unless you're in a large room and want to hold wild parties.

I would lean towards a pre-1980 model because they tend to be more repairable than later models that used integrated circuits that usually no longer available. I'd look for a warmer sound, e.g. Marantz, Sansui, Luxman, Kenwood, Denon, (versus Yamaha, Technics, etc.).

Here are some examples from eBay. (I'm not specifically endorsing any of these; just indicating the sort of thing that's available):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MARANTZ-1152-vintage-integrated-amp-76-wpc-Powerful_W0QQitemZ330178983668QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3 280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/LUXMAN-L-400-DUO-BETA-STEREO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ270178968646QQihZ017QQcategoryZ 3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-KENWOOD-KA-7100-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-SILVERFACE_W0QQitemZ160170386175QQihZ006QQcategory Z3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/LUXMAN-T-85V-Intergrated-Amp-Near-MINT_W0QQitemZ260174500810QQihZ016QQcategoryZ73369 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SANSUI-AU-9500-STEREO-INTEGRATED-AMP-85-WPC-110-220-V_W0QQitemZ300163745981QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3280QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rare-Denon-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-SA-3300_W0QQitemZ220164959002QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3280Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There are some georgeous high-powered models, from that era but they tend to run much higher in price. Nevertheless they tempt an old-timer like me ...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SANSUI-AU-11000-VINTAGE-AMPLIFIER-220-WATTS-AMP-NICE_W0QQitemZ250180333785QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3280Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thekid
10-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Feanor

Thanks! That is exactly what I was thinkng about but I did not know where to begin. Back in the 80's I was listening to a Pioneer receiver/turntable or a Tecnics reciever 25 WPC with a TEAC cassette deck so I could not reference any stand alones from the era. I am setting these up in my living room and thought it would be kind of neat to have kind of an all retro system to go with the retro speakers. I think there was a Sansui at the same thrift store (maybe the one that was used on these) but when I went back it was gone. Perhaps I can score another steal at a thrift shop or give E-Bay a shot.