RTR Speakers-info???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RTR Speakers-info????

thekid
10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Browsing in the local thrift store I came across a pair of speakers which as best I can tell are RTR Model C Series IV speakers. They appear to be in decent shape but there is no other info I can find on them. Anyone know anything about them spec wise such as whether their 6 ohm or 8 ohm. It looks like I can pick them up for about $20.

thekid
10-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Well after my thread above I just decided to go ahead and get them. I figured for $20 bucks what the heck.... It turns out they were $25 for the pair but today was 1/2 price off day so I got these babies for $14!!!

Well I just brought them home and all I can say is.......... oh my god!!!!!
These things are pretty freaking unbelievable!!!!!!
I have them hooked up to my Panasonic HE-75 which is a fairly anemic unit but these things are cranking out Vivaldi's Four Seasons like I am sitting in the auditorium watching them saw on the strings.

After removing the grills I found some specs I know specs don't mean much but if anyone wants to decipher these for me please feel free;

Frequency Response 30-30,000 +/- 4 DB
5 Watts RMS
Max Power Input 75 Watts
Crossover Frequency 3300, 7500, 10,000

I will try to add a photo as soon as I can but any info anyone can give on these would be extremely appreciated. I have confirmed these are RTR Model C Series IV speakers. They appear to have a 10" Woofer and stand about 2 1/2 feet.

herm0016
10-20-2007, 02:48 PM
my dad has a pair of old RTR speakers that are similar on an old marantz in our barn/shop where he works on his cars. they sound great too. good find.

thekid
10-20-2007, 03:59 PM
my dad has a pair of old RTR speakers that are similar on an old marantz in our barn/shop where he works on his cars. they sound great too. good find.

Thanks H
I just posted a photo of one them on another thread since I did not know how to do it here.
BTW- I went to summer camp up at Houghton Lake years ago.

herm0016
10-21-2007, 04:53 PM
houghton.....lake? way different than houghton.we are about 400 miles farther north for one thing. link to the photo?

thekid
10-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Well it was a long time ago and I am from the thumb area and have not back there in awhile. I figured out how to add the photo so hope this helps since I am not getting any action on any of the other threads I posted on these speakers. If this a similar to your dads perhaps you can help with some info. Thanks!!

traugh
11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I remember this brand from about 30 years ago. They were always owned by those people that liked to play Deep Purple really loud. Giant boxes with lots of speakers in them. You probably have a small set. How is the bass response?

thekid
11-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Welcome Traugh!

The bass on these is outstanding for music. They go low and no distortion that I can hear. I know there is a debate from time to time about whether to use a sub in a "2-channel" set-up. Up until these I would have said most units I have heard (which is limited I know) need the extra help down low that a sub can provide.

I have not really cranked them too loud in part because I have not had to because they are very efficient speakers. I have them conneccted now to a Kenwood KR-3600 which is only 20-24wpc and I really do not have to go past 4 on the volume dial to fill the room with sound, go to 6 and I fill the house.

In another post someone (Feanor I think) mentioned based on the specs I had posted that these speakers were probably "rockers" which seems to fit in with your recollection of them. Not sure what you saw back in the day but if this is a "small set" then I would love to see there other units. These weigh a bout 40lbs a piece are probably about 2 1/2 feet tall.

Personally I think they handle the highs pretty well also but perhaps that is because I have never owned speakers with a horn. In any case these speakers have just opened my ears compared to units I have owned in the past.

if6was9
04-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I was doing some putsin' around and came across this post. I still have my rTr series IV's from when I bought them new. That's been twenty five years or more. From what I remember about them, they were the best bang for the buck. They were and are great for highs and mid-range reproduction, tailing off in the base. There is a solution to getting more base out of them, set them on the floor. I've had the driven by several amps. They sound best with my old Marantz 2238b. With the amps separate base, mid and treble controls, you can find the right levels for what you wanted them to do. With the addition of a ten band EQ, it got even better. They still lacked the umf of today's subs, but pair'em up with some, and you could have the neighbors calling law enforcement.

thekid
04-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I was doing some putsin' around and came across this post. I still have my rTr series IV's from when I bought them new. That's been twenty five years or more. From what I remember about them, they were the best bang for the buck. They were and are great for highs and mid-range reproduction, tailing off in the base. There is a solution to getting more base out of them, set them on the floor. I've had the driven by several amps. They sound best with my old Marantz 2238b. With the amps separate base, mid and treble controls, you can find the right levels for what you wanted them to do. With the addition of a ten band EQ, it got even better. They still lacked the umf of today's subs, but pair'em up with some, and you could have the neighbors calling law enforcement.

Welcome to AR!
Thanks for digging up an old thread on the first pair of speakers I picked up from a thrift. Those RtR's were probably 30-40 speakers ago and have since been sold. They were decent enough but I had no clue back then what speakers lay in my future.