Thiel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thiel

pegasus
10-20-2007, 02:03 AM
I am interested in the new Thiel 3.7.I have listened to them several times and am amazed at their revealing nature.With the right CD they sound fantastic, great imaging and a very broad stage.I want to use them for stereo and as the mains in a Surround system.I am trying to figure what affordable possessor/amp to use?

basite
10-20-2007, 03:18 AM
They're great speakers (I'm looking at a secondhand pair of cs2.3 for myself in the future...)

only thing is that, paired with the wrong amp, they can sound slightly harsh.
I'd get something that likes lower impedence speakers. A Mcintosh should be a great amp for them, Primare is also to be considered, since they both have this gigantic resolution and holographic imaging...
Maybe parasound, but they might turn out bright sounding with those thiels, give them a try though...

How big is your budget?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
10-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I hope from your post you aren't going to buy that type of speaker to use a receiver as a preamp, what a waste. They aren't going to sound like they did in the store with that type of set up, I'll guarantee you that.

To drive them properly you are going to need some quality power and current which don't come cheap. And your system is only as good as it's weakest link. So if you use a receiver for a preamp with a high quality power amp you basically have a more powerful receiver. The sound will be LIMITED by the receiver's preamps section. You should seek a HT preamp/processor and separate power amp or maybe a separate 2 channel system with a brute integrated from the likes of Krell, Bryston, or Musical Fidelity. You will also need a comparable source, CD/turntable etc. Unless you go with a pre/pro with a high quality DAC and analog circuits.

So you can buy the speakers and build backwards, beef up your electronics then purchase the 3.7's or buy them anyway and never realize their full potential.

What drove the speakers when you demoed them? I'm sure there wasn't a receiver in the chain. What electronics do you have access to?

www.spearitsound.com has a Krell pre/pro and multi-channel amp new $6,500.00 for the pair. They also have a NAD combo for under $2k with a piece being refurbed but they won't perform like the Krell. These guys also carry Thiel and may be able to give you some valuable help with what will and will not drive the 3.7's.

pegasus
10-21-2007, 10:56 AM
I have tried the 3.7s with Classe SSP- 300/CA-5100, I did think they could use more but overall the sound was good.I have also heard them through Krell mono blocks at the Thiel factory and with Classe mono blocks at my local dealer's store.I am hoping to beef up the SSP-300/CA-5100 with something,either mono blocks or a switching amp,to drive the 3.7s and use the 5100 for the surround,center and sub.I have loved Krell for a very long time,just never found the right deal for my pocket.

Mr Peabody
10-21-2007, 11:29 AM
I believe you will be very happy with the SSP-30. The 5100 may not get as loud as you'd like but I wouldn't think it would have any problem pushing the 3.7's. I'm glad you have your eye on the SSP-30, that is the way to go if you want both HT and stereo enjoyment.

Krell amps are truely balanced circuits which is the next best thing to monoblocks. What budget do you have? There are usually a good election over at Audiogon. You should also check for Pass and Bryston. All have reps for brute force amps with finesse.

bobsticks
10-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I heard the 3.7s with some Classe gear at my dealers when I went in to get a new power chord for my Mac. Though I did not spend an inordinate amount of time with them my first reaction was positive, noting the clarity, imaging and generally good synergy with the Classe gears. Congrats if you go that way with it...

pegasus
10-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I do have reservations about the cost of the 3.7s,however I was simply blown away by the depth and clarity of the sound stage.I have long been a lover of planar speakers and have searched for a speaker that would deliver that can of detail throughout a large listening area and not just one sweet spot.