Budget AVR? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget AVR?

faigenistic
10-19-2007, 04:01 AM
I am most probably going to purchase a set of last year's B&W 602's from my local custom home audio dealer. The question I have is regarding an AVR. I understand that these speakers like better equipment paired with them which will result in better sound. Currently I have this old system:

Sony FH-7 MKIII Compact Hi-Density Component System with:
Power Supply Unit - Sony AC-78III (AC: 120/220/240 v~ 50/60 Hz - 65 w)
Stereo Cassette Deck - Sony TC-78III
Integrated Stereo Amplifier - Sony TA-78III
Stereo FM/AM Tuner - Sony ST-78III
CD Player - Sony D-50 Discman

There is a picture of the system here:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-7507112-espectacular-minicomponente-sony-fh-7-mk3-apm-_JM

Any suggestions on what I could on the cheap off of ebay or audiogon.com? I have very little budget and this system is going to be used primarily for use with my music, the TV, and the XBOX360.

Appreciate the help fellas.

faigenistic
10-19-2007, 04:16 AM
I have found a few on ebay that may work, but I need some input from people who know what they're doing (i.e. not me).

I found the following on ebay:

Denon DRA-297 w/warranty from an authorized dealer (used) - $142 + shipping
Denon DRA-395 w/warranty form an authorized dealer (refurbished) - $148 + shipping
Denon DRA-685 (used) - $100 + shipping
Denon DRA-925 (new, CompUSA floor model in box) - $150 + shipping

Any suggestions? I can post the links if you guys want to check them out. Sometimes ebay seems sketch to me, even though I've purchased numerous guitars and amps on there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

GMichael
10-19-2007, 06:29 AM
These receivers are OK, but not really at the level of the speakers you have picked out. You could pick one of these that have pre-outs so that you could add an external amp when you have more funds.

faigenistic
10-19-2007, 06:41 AM
I was hoping to be able to get some suggestions on an AVR that I could get that would permit me to use the speakers to the best of the ability without having to add other amps, etc. at later dates. Any suggestions would help. Thanks for the input man.

GMichael
10-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Do you want this for just HT, just music, or both?

faigenistic
10-19-2007, 07:11 AM
It is going to used for both, right now I have a 42" LG LCD 720p HDTV which has a Time Warner Cable HDTV box w/DVR hooked to it. I also have an XBOX360 with the HDMI cable running through the TV. Right now I just have the speakers with the tv. The plan is to buy a receiver that will let me run the B&W 602's and have the tv audio out run through it as well. I use the XBOX360 as my DVD player since I dont need 1080i anyways.

Any thoughts?

GMichael
10-19-2007, 07:58 AM
See if there are any receivers on sale from names like Rotel, NAD or Acram.

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I am most probably going to purchase a set of last year's B&W 602's from my local custom home audio dealer. The question I have is regarding an AVR. I understand that these speakers like better equipment paired with them which will result in better sound. Currently I have this old system:

Sony FH-7 MKIII Compact Hi-Density Component System with:
Power Supply Unit - Sony AC-78III (AC: 120/220/240 v~ 50/60 Hz - 65 w)
Stereo Cassette Deck - Sony TC-78III
Integrated Stereo Amplifier - Sony TA-78III
Stereo FM/AM Tuner - Sony ST-78III
CD Player - Sony D-50 Discman

There is a picture of the system here:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-7507112-espectacular-minicomponente-sony-fh-7-mk3-apm-_JM

Any suggestions on what I could on the cheap off of ebay or audiogon.com? I have very little budget and this system is going to be used primarily for use with my music, the TV, and the XBOX360.

Appreciate the help fellas.

Sherwood sells a cheap surround receiver for 139 bucks, cheap but a place to start.
Should drive your B&W SPEAKERS AT MODERATE POWER LEVELS,
I havent had much experience with their cheaper fare, but their more expensive stuff is fairly good, and its a NEW receiver

nightflier
10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I think most of the Denon receivers you listed are Stereo, not Surround receivers. Second hand (especially on eBay and Audio/Videogon) or B-Stock you might want to include the following brands: Outlaw, Adcom, Parasound, and B&K. What is your absolute highest price limit for the receiver?