Did you hear Best Buy quit.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear Best Buy quit....

Mr Peabody
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
selling analog TV's? I just heard this morning that they will no longer sell analog TV's. The reporter sounded like it would be immediate. I don't know if they have been selling off inventory and not restocking or it they are pulling them off the shelf to do something with them.

If anyone has more info let us know.

shokhead
10-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Most likly they have enough stock that will last to feb. of 09 and in fact they are doing the buyers a favor.

Groundbeef
10-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Most likly they have enough stock that will last to feb. of 09 and in fact they are doing the buyers a favor.

I doubt they have enough stock for 2 months. But, they are just doing a shrewd marketing move. Technically CRT/analog will not work once digital conversion is in place. However, what they don't tell consumers is they can get a digital converter box and the old TV will work fine. Why do that when you can simply sell them a shiny new LCD or Plasma or DLP?

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I doubt they have enough stock for 2 months. But, they are just doing a shrewd marketing move. Technically CRT/analog will not work once digital conversion is in place. However, what they don't tell consumers is they can get a digital converter box and the old TV will work fine. Why do that when you can simply sell them a shiny new LCD or Plasma or DLP?

This has nothing to do with CRTS, even tho they are obsolete, there are several 30in crt TV's out there that are digital, peruvian has one and I had one (mine was the Samsing tau
series)
A lot of crt rptvs' are still out there that are digital, selling for fire sale prices of course.
I didn't realize just how dim these type of sets are, saw one the other day and it was quite startling.
AND why buy an analog tv with a lifespan of a decade that will need a converter in a few years?
They are still selling standard def sets that have atsc tuners, wallmart has a Sanyo,
but with the price of a 32in LCD down to 500 bucks why bother?:1:

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
This is why some DVD recorders are being sold with atsc tuners, even tho they wont record in HD they won't be obsolete in 2009.
ALSO a good alternative to keeping an old set alive, you can use one instead of a cable box:1:

thekid
10-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Let the fire sales begin. They are probably also freeing up more shelf space before Christmas.

These sets might have some drawbacks but if you are looking for a TV for gaming or just watching video there might be some good deals out there.

Mr Peabody
10-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Good point, cheap set for kids to have around for just videos. It does look like some of the smaller LCD's are coming down close to "regular" TV prices. I saw a 20" for around $399.00 and I'm sure there are better deals to be found. It wasn't but maybe slightly more than a year ago I paid almost $1k for a 26" Sharp. But it had a lot of features like cable card.

pixelthis
10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Olevia has a 32in for 549$.
But the best deal I have seen is a samsung DLP 50in for around 900 bucks at short circuit.
A cheap way to get a big pic at a small price, this is selling for less than a 3 lcd microdisplay!.
Peruvian, maybe its time you upgraded:1:

Fleet1950
10-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I have had quite a few people ask me about this switch to digital HDTV. My mother in law was upset that she would have to replace her bigscreen. Every time I see this covered in the media they are not clear at all on how this will really affect people. It is the biggest scam since Bose. Who is really watching broadcast tv? Also, who uses the built in tuner in their TV? It is all hype. I think this is a great opportunity for people to buy TV's for extra bedrooms etc.

pixelthis
10-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I have had quite a few people ask me about this switch to digital HDTV. My mother in law was upset that she would have to replace her bigscreen. Every time I see this covered in the media they are not clear at all on how this will really affect people. It is the biggest scam since Bose. Who is really watching broadcast tv? Also, who uses the built in tuner in their TV? It is all hype. I think this is a great opportunity for people to buy TV's for extra bedrooms etc.
My mom was upset too until I explained that the cable box I got for her is already HD and that she wouldn't need to get rid of her 32in sony.
AND its not "hype" or a "scam", its the future. A local station just went HD on their news and the diff is very obvious.
As for who watches broadcast tv, I DO! And I don't use the tuners in my set but I could.
I have received HD in the past over the air and its really nice, like sat only free.
Right now I use a cable box, and I love it.
AND have you checked out this years shows? A lot of good shows out there, but they won't last if people don't watch them
SHOWS like "Chuck", one of the best shows in years, and Bionic woman, updated for today. And moonlight on CBS (The VAMPIRE SERIES) IS AMAZING
the SCI-FI channel is now HD, with stuff like Flash gordon and stargate Atlantis.
And the national geograpic channel and discrovery channel, not to mention UHD and MOJO are something else, and MHD is it for music lovers, HD in 5.1 DD.
I pay 180 bucks for my cable, including modem, this includes tons of free VOD on the
ondemand channels.
Its a bargain, really:1:

shokhead
10-23-2007, 06:14 AM

Its not a switch to HD,just dig.

Mr Peabody
10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
It really won't effect those using satelite or cable. But the statistic I heard the other day of those who have neither is way higher than I thought. I forget the exact percent so I'm not going to guess.

PeruvianSkies
10-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Olevia has a 32in for 549$.
But the best deal I have seen is a samsung DLP 50in for around 900 bucks at short circuit.
A cheap way to get a big pic at a small price, this is selling for less than a 3 lcd microdisplay!.
Peruvian, maybe its time you upgraded:1:

There is no need to bring that to my attention. I'll upgrade when you get some real speakers.

PeruvianSkies
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
My mom was upset too until I explained that the cable box I got for her is already HD and that she wouldn't need to get rid of her 32in sony.
:

So how many TV's do both of you share in your moms house?

Mr Peabody
10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Oooooo..... I just had a Psycho flash

Mr Peabody
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
The Canadians are plugged in but they have less populated area too or is their cable better.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/radio/cmri_rev.htm

Are people really confused?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/30/millions-miffed-at-poor-quality-from-holiday-hdtv-purchase/

Here's a thought

http://mediabiz.blogs.cnnmoney.cnn.com/2007/08/10/housing-pain-hitting-satellite-and-cable-tv/

I never did find subscription statistics for the U.S. I was listening to the radio when I heard them talking about how many subscribers there are. I thought maybe It would be posted some where.

Mr Peabody
10-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry, but here's some good stuff.

http://askbobrankin.com/goodbye_to_analog_tv.html

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/10/fall_2006_hdtv_1.php

Fleet1950
10-24-2007, 09:01 PM
I am not saying that the whole concept of changing over is a scam I am just saying that the way so many are presenting it is deceiving. I mostly mean BB announcing that they will quit is just a good way to convince people to buy a more modern Digital TV and the way so many local news stories have run recently making it sound worse than it is. I guess equating this to Bose is a little unfair on my part. Getting free broadcast TV is great If you live in an area where you can get good signal and more than one station.

I stand corrected on the fact that it is a Digital broadcast versus HD.

Is the signal stronger on digital versus analog?

pixelthis
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
So how many TV's do both of you share in your moms house?

How many did you and your cousin get after you two got married?
AND I already have speakers that will blow the crap outta your prefab by the numbers
canuck full employment program speakers.
WHY don't you go bug sir t some more?:1: