B&W vs. Definitive [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W vs. Definitive

faigenistic
10-18-2007, 03:29 AM
I am looking to buy two bookshelf speakers for the purpose of listening to music, which ranges from Rap to Classic Rock to Heavy Metal, as well as for use with my XBOX 360 and my new 42" LG LCD HDTV. The room they will be placed in is fairly small with in one direction, but long in the other (probably something like 26' x 12' or so).

I have posted a few threads on here seeking advice from true "audiophiles" as to which speakers would best suit me. At the moment, the audio shop is going to see if my current component system still works (I have a feeling it does and the old speakers are just blown). If it does, I assume I will keep the CD player and compenent system and just upgrade speakers until I have more of a budget. Here is the component system at the moment:

Sony FH-7 MKIII Compact Hi-Density Component System with:
Power Supply Unit - Sony AC-78III (AC: 120/220/240 v~ 50/60 Hz - 65 w)
Stereo Cassette Deck - Sony TC-78III
Integrated Stereo Amplifier - Sony TA-78III
Stereo FM/AM Tuner - Sony ST-78III
CD Player - Sony D-50 Discman

Picture of it is here (and yes, I know it is just about as old as me but it still works):
http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-7507112-espectacular-minicomponente-sony-fh-7-mk3-apm-_JM

Anyways, from what I've been told, I should look into Monitor Audio BR2, B&W 600 series, or Pardigms. I have found the best local dealer in my town and he mainly deals in B&W and Definitive. My father has a Definitive floor speakers and I love them. My questions is this:

My current budget is about $500 to spend on speakers (assuming the component system still works and can function with new speakers). Should I look into B&W or Definitive? I was looking at some Definitive Mythos Gem compact speakers (see here:http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/mythos/mythos_gem.html). Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

Woochifer
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
for your music range, and the system you got, the Def Techs are probably a better bet. B&Ws are more neutral and better suited than the Def Techs for acoustic instruments. The Def Techs are voiced more aggressively, and will probably work better with a mini system because they are somewhat easier to drive.

The Paradigm Monitor series is worth a look since it is also relatively easy to drive and is well suited to rock, metal, rap, etc. I would also look into Klipsch. Those are among the most efficient speakers on the market, and their lower end models (the ones sold at Best Buy) might work well with the music you intend to use.

But, before deciding, I would suggest that you gather your favorite discs and do some auditioning. Different speakers might surprise you, and you won't know what you like until you hear it for yourself. Remember though that what you hear in different dealer demo rooms could sound very different in your room on your system, so do try to audition the speakers at home before making any final decisions.

topspeed
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Of the speakers you've mentioned, I have to agree with Wooch that the DefTech's are your best bet. That said, those speakers are complete overkill for your front end. If I were you, I'd really consider tossing the lot out and start from scratch. You can build a very good sounding system for very little money if you're willing to try.

Here's an example:

Cambridge Audio 540r v1: Used and can probably be bought for $300 (maybe less)
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1197750642

Athena F2: Excellent bang-for-the-buck speaker that like rock ~$300/pair
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1ATASF2%2E2

Use your Discman until you can save a few bucks and replace that as soon as possible. I can't stress enough how much of a difference you'll hear once you plug a real cdp into the front end. I've had quite a few Discmans (Discmen?), and they are great for a portable cdp. However, as a main source on a decent home stereo, they suck. Once you've saved a few bills, consider cdp's from Cambridge Audio, Denon, or Yamaha. All make excellent inexpensive cdp's, starting from a little over $100.

If you still need your cassette deck, use the pre-outs on your Sony (if it still works) and plug it into the Cambridge. Let's be honest tho, how often do you actually listen to cassettes anymore?

There you go. For a shade over $600 you'll have a rig that will flat smoke your current set-up while offering you the flexibility to expand into a surround system in the future (if you want to).

This was just an example. Check out sites such as audioadvisor.com, audiogon.com, and spearitsound.com for excellent deals on all kinds of fun stuff. The point is, you have a lot of options as opposed to simply replacing your speakers. Speakers will only sound as good as the signal fed to them, and right now that signal could be better.

Hope this helps.

PeruvianSkies
10-18-2007, 01:45 PM
neither? Are you only considering these two?

bobsticks
10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
For your applications Def Tech will be the most well-rounded.

drseid
10-19-2007, 12:58 AM
For what you are trying to accomplish I would have to agree with most of the other responders that the Def Techs are the better choice for your needs.

That said, Topspeed raises a valid point that with your current front-end, the DTs (or many other brands) probably will not be able to show you what they are capable of, as the signal feeding them is compromised due to the limitations of your front-end.

Good luck,

---Dave

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 02:46 PM
For what you are trying to accomplish I would have to agree with most of the other responders that the Def Techs are the better choice for your needs.

That said, Topspeed raises a valid point that with your current front-end, the DTs (or many other brands) probably will not be able to show you what they are capable of, as the signal feeding them is compromised due to the limitations of your front-end.

Good luck,

---Dave
What "front end" ?
Its a freakin boom box !
Doesnt matter WHAT type speakers, you get they won't sound worth a hoot, most of the "shelf" or boom boxes come with matched speakers, that are usually super efficent,
to disguise the clock radio amps that came with your system.
I'm sure you can find an inexpensive receiver and inexpensive speakers for the price of def techs OR B&W:6:

bobsticks
10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
What "front end" ?
Its a freakin boom box !

LOL, well that's a valid point...

mauvillavicencio
11-11-2007, 05:48 AM
B&W its an amazing sound, nothing to comparateˇˇ

codecougar
11-11-2007, 07:26 AM
I agree. Junk your system and start over from scratch. You can get a good receiver and CD player with a decent set of bookshelfs within your budget, just not as high end speakers as you would like. The end result would be far better than a pair of high end speakers hooked up to that system.

pixelthis
11-12-2007, 01:57 AM
And for the record, B&W is a much more refined speaker than Def-tech (I've had both)
Although defs are good for rock and HT

N. Abstentia
11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
How are the DefTech's now that they have been bought out? I even forget who bought them..but I don't think the original guys are there anymore.

pixelthis
11-15-2007, 02:59 PM
How are the DefTech's now that they have been bought out? I even forget who bought them..but I don't think the original guys are there anymore.
Which means they were either very successful of flopped.
My local dealer went with Klipsch, which are now made in China, allowing for lower cost to both manufacturers and dealers, allowing for bigger profits at lower price points,
the def-techs went out the door. Havent heard any lately

drseid
11-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Which means they were either very successful of flopped.
My local dealer went with Klipsch, which are now made in China, allowing for lower cost to both manufacturers and dealers, allowing for bigger profits at lower price points,
the def-techs went out the door. Havent heard any lately

I think they were doing pretty well financially... Now sound could be a different story after the sale. Pre-sale I think they offered pretty good bang for the buck... especially in the HT arena.

I too am interested to see if the new owner have tinkered with the formula (for better or worse).

---Dave

pixelthis
11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I think they were doing pretty well financially... Now sound could be a different story after the sale. Pre-sale I think they offered pretty good bang for the buck... especially in the HT arena.

I too am interested to see if the new owner have tinkered with the formula (for better or worse).

---Dave

Would help if he got rid of those titanium tweeters, I used a small pair for surrounds,
but could never have a pair for mains, too much fatigue.
Thought the Klipsch might be better but they were just as bad, after just a little while you're done.
Titanium tweeters, worst speaker "improvement" ever, probably use surplus material
from the military