Great Scott! Receiver advise needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Great Scott! Receiver advise needed

fender123
10-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Way back in 1989 I bought a complete Scott stereo system(Receiver,Tuner,CD,Tape & some huge speakers). I've been using this system ever since with the addition of a Sony 5 disc CD player. I have no interest in multi-channel home theater receivers, I just want a nice 2 channel unit for listening to music with the option to add a sub later if need.

It's time I did some upgrading. I want to start by replacing the amp. Although it still seems to work fine, I would like some more punch. And every once in a while it will overheat and cut out. The model is SCOTT A120 Integrated Amplifier and I can't figure out what the output is. I can't find the manual. I did find one on e-bay and the seller thinks its rated at about 50 watts.

I have my eyes on a Yamaha RX-497 or RX-797. The 497 is rated at 75 watts and the 797 is rated at 100 watts.

My question is:

Will I notice a big difference in power and sound quality with the RX-497? Or do I need to step up to a RX-797 for $100 more?. Any other suggestions?:D

mikemorrow
10-17-2007, 07:21 AM
I dont think up grading to the yamaha is the way to go. I would look at your speakers. What kind are they? If they are Scott them that is the place to start. The scott amp is not that bad.

fender123
10-17-2007, 07:29 AM
The speakers are Scott also. They are 3-way cabinets with a 12 inch driver, about a 5 inch mid and a tweeter. I'm at work so I don't know the model number.

I've always thought they sounded nice, and looked more at replacing the amp because it redlines quite abit at moderate to loud levels and sometimes will overheat after being pushed for extended periods.

mikemorrow
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I'll get back to you after I look up a few things. But your speakers could cause the cut outs. Plus they are getting old. As far as the amp, it could be fixed (I think). Be back in a while.

mikemorrow
10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Ok, your protection circuit is over aggressive on the amp. should be an easy fix. The intergraded amp is good. I don't see a reason to get a new amp. IMHO Fix the amp, it is better than low priced new receivers. Get new speakers. Take your Scott amp with you. I think you will find out that you have been missing a lot of sweet sound.

pixelthis
10-18-2007, 12:08 AM
There has been so much progress since 1989 that the only way to go is to replace the
speakers AND the amp.
The reason those speakers sound "good" is that your ears are used to them.
Do some critical listening to other speakers.
DON'T WANT home theater ? Fine, you can get a decent two channel receiver for under
a 150$ that, while not cutting edge, will run circles around any 18 year old equipment that probably needs repair and will cost at least a few hundred for such repairs.
People get attached to gear just like other things. Its time to pay a visit to the dumpster,
and the audio store on the way home.
When you can get a five channel sherwood for 139 bucks it makes little sense to throw good money after bad:1:

fender123
10-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys, I did some serious listening last night and today I'm going to look into replacing both.

Any suggestions on a pair of speakers? $500 budget

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 07:34 AM
There has been so much progress since 1989 that the only way to go is to replace the
speakers AND the amp.
The reason those speakers sound "good" is that your ears are used to them.
Do some critical listening to other speakers.
DON'T WANT home theater ? Fine, you can get a decent two channel receiver for under
a 150$ that, while not cutting edge, will run circles around any 18 year old equipment that probably needs repair and will cost at least a few hundred for such repairs.
People get attached to gear just like other things. Its time to pay a visit to the dumpster,
When you can get a five channel sherwood for 139 bucks it makes little sense to throw good money after bad:1:

I dont want to fight, but I do think this funny.
I just spent $210 getting my 1976 GAS son of ampzilla fixed. There is NO way any $150 receiver could touch it. And yes I do have a $150 receiver hooked up to my TV. It is ok for that, but sounds like crap for music. A cheap receiver is just that. Bad sound for 3-5 years and and you throw it away.

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 07:51 AM
As far as the speakers, that depends on your ears, and the kind of music you listen to. I build my own. I have listened to many of my friend stereos. I find that there are times I think the sound is offensive. But they love it. To each their own. But if you read the speaker post I'm sure you will get an idea what is out there and what some people like. Remember to use your own judgement, this is all about you, and what you like. Don't try to please your friends, or take a salesmans word for it. Take it home, if you arn't 100% happy return it.
And get back to us, tell us what you end up with.

markw
10-18-2007, 08:36 AM
DON'T WANT home theater ? Fine, you can get a decent two channel receiver for under a 150$ that, while not cutting edge, will run circles around any 18 year old equipment that probably needs repair and will cost at least a few hundred for such repairs.
When you can get a five channel sherwood for 139 bucks it makes little sense to throw good money after bad:1:..but, to be honest, my 35year old Marantz 2270 will run circles around it for two channel music.

I think he should be looking at speakers first, and then perhaps a new two channel amp/receiver to drive 'em.

The speakers have the most affect on the final sound.

fender123
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
I actually found a crack in the foam on one of my Scott 1212 speakers also last night. I went down to Best Buy at lunch and listened to the JBL's and the Klipsch speakers.

I really thought the Klipsh Synergy III (F-3) sounded the best of all of them. Also ran into a friend of mine that works there and he can give them for me at a BIG discount.

This might be the way I go to start my rebuilding.

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Any other stereo shops in the area. I ask because I dislike BB SOOOOOO MUCH! LOL
Though IMO the Klipsh are much better than JBLs. Really look (listen) around. Most of your money should go into the speakers, afterall crap speakers will make ANY system sound bad. But good speakers will make a bad amp, receiver, sound good.

fender123
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I have one other choice in my area and I plan on stopping there on the way home tonight. However the price I can get the F-3's for is really, really, really cheap. My buddy is an installer for BB and my jaw dropped when he told me what he could get them for.

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/f-3.aspx

even using 50 w / c. These babys will rock!!! Not so nice for classical. But they will be louder than your old speakers. Not bad my friend, not bad at all. :)

Now go to a repair shop and see how much it would cost to fix your Scott amp. They well even tell you if it is worth fixing.

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
BTW I think that I saw a Marantz 2270 as mentioned above on ebay for under $100. With shipping it would run $145. Much better that that cheap new stuff.

fender123
10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
The plan right now is to get the speakers. I'll have to wait a little while because he has to order them. Then I'll replace the speaker wire with some nice heavy stuff.

Maybe my old Scott will not have to work so hard and it won't cut out or redline. Only one way to find out!

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Good plan :) Now you need a new painting on your wall.
www.mikemorrow.boundlessgallery.com
LOL
:4:

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 03:06 PM
I dont want to fight, but I do think this funny.
I just spent $210 getting my 1976 GAS son of ampzilla fixed. There is NO way any $150 receiver could touch it. And yes I do have a $150 receiver hooked up to my TV. It is ok for that, but sounds like crap for music. A cheap receiver is just that. Bad sound for 3-5 years and and you throw it away.

Some classic gear is quite nice, so no fight from me on that point.
But we're talking about 18 yr old SCOTT for gods sakes.
I do have an 18 yr old turntable BTW.
And during hard times a Pioneer sx series receiver from the 70's WAS MY MAIN SOURCE OF AMPERAGE.
But we're talkin SCOTT here, some stuff just isnt worth the trouble.
I know they made some dedent gear here and there but hardly of the classic variety
(at least after a certain point)

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 03:10 PM
And you'd be surprized at how decent some "cheap" receivers can sound.
HARMON KARDON makes a decent 2 channel in the neighborhood of 200 bucks.
Sherwood makes pretty cheap stuff, but don't sacrifice on quality
(you get better than you might expect for 139$, which can't be much)

nightflier
10-19-2007, 04:30 PM
I actually found a crack in the foam on one of my Scott 1212 speakers also last night. I went down to Best Buy at lunch and listened to the JBL's and the Klipsch speakers. I really thought the Klipsh Synergy III (F-3) sounded the best of all of them. Also ran into a friend of mine that works there and he can give them for me at a BIG discount. This might be the way I go to start my rebuilding.

Well, if there's one thing in favor of those Klipsch speakers is that they are very efficient, even a few watts will drive them. I've owned all kinds of Klipsch speakers and while they certainly have the "Klipsch sound" which I think sounds better for movies than music, they are very easy to drive. If you current Scott speakers are the cause of your amp overheating, then these speakers will cure that ill.

And since you seem to like their sound, you might just find them to be the best fit for you. That said, there are other good sounding speakers in your budget that you might want to consider, including Infinity and Polk speakers. If you don't mind ordering online (and many online manufacturers offer in-home trials), you might also want to consider Aperion and Axiom, both of which I have owned a few models and I can vouch for the excellent service and quality for the price.

I'm a collector of old gear and don't really believe anything is unsalvageable, so if you can do get that amp repaired, even if it does cost a bit, do get it fixed. But if you are going to shop for a receiver, I've had good luck with Harman Kardon and Outlaw Audio. I've owned surround receivers from Harman Kardon, but I also now own a pair of stereo receivers, the 3385 and 3485, and they are both very capable components. If I hadn't bought them I would have chosen the new RR2150 receiver from Outlaw (it was not out then). The Outlaw is quite a stunner as far as sound, and even has that retro look that might actually be a fine fit for your older gear. It's a bit more expensive, but it will drive just about most speakers out there (definitely those in your price range), and has some additional features like bass-management you might really appreciate once you get that sub.

In any case, let us know what you end up with and how you like them.