DSP settings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DSP settings

cdn guy
10-17-2007, 12:08 AM
How many people fully utilize their DSP modes ? My old yamaha receiver had about 15 different DSP settings, 13 of which I never used. I mean...honestly...how many of you actually listen to music on the "jazz celler" setting??? My current denon receiver has fewer DSP modes however my thumb gets rather numb having to press the surround sound selection button a billion times just to switch from stereo to dd. It is difficult enough already operating the Denon remote. Ok... I'll stop ranting now

kexodusc
10-17-2007, 03:43 AM
How many people fully utilize their DSP modes ? My old yamaha receiver had about 15 different DSP settings, 13 of which I never used. I mean...honestly...how many of you actually listen to music on the "jazz celler" setting??? My current denon receiver has fewer DSP modes however my thumb gets rather numb having to press the surround sound selection button a billion times just to switch from stereo to dd. It is difficult enough already operating the Denon remote. Ok... I'll stop ranting now
Not all DSP's are created equally.
For movies I frequently use 3 or 4 on my Yammie - they often enhance the sound experience. I do have a rule though - movies I see the first time I play straight with no DSP effects.
During TV programs I'm constantly testing things out - there's a few that really add another dimension of size and space. I actually enjoy them.

For music, I rarely use them, other than 7-channel stereo. I use that to add volume when I'm not actually in the room. Occasionally I'll try Dolby PL IIx music settings on for size. Sometimes it's a nice change and I think they've done a great job and manufacturing a convincing surround processor.
I almost never use the Jazz or Bingo Hall settings but once in awhile I'll sit down with an old favorite and give it a go. It can be rather enjoyable and does add a certain liveliness to some forms of music, kinda neat - I have to admit, too many of today's recordings are done in sterile, cold studio environments. A bit of reverb doesn't hurt now and then. Not the way it was intended, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.
I think a lot of the DSP's add a gimmicky feel to sound that takes away from the recording - the gimmick might sound good for a bit, but it wears off rather quickly.

I'm not so anal or closed minded to never try though, if anyone's got a good recommendation on which DSP's to use for what recordings, I'd be interested.

Wireworm5
10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
For music I mostly use MC stereo DSP. Sometimes if the music is in dolby then I will listen in Dolby Enhanced, and it sounds good. I find however if the music isn't in dolby and I use the dolby on my Yammie receiver, it sounds like crap.
For movies I use the Spectacle which is a 70mm simulation. And I dare say it sounds as good or better than the state of the art movie theatre.
Sometimes I use Spectacle for music, usually electronic new age, it gives it that 70mm sound which is quite good for this type of music.
Soundfields like Concert Hall 1 or 2, I used a couple times. I would probably use it more but I didn't quite get the calibration right for my room. I can adjust the parameters for each soundfield, which can be tedious as this is done manually and by ear on my receiver.
The other soundfields I never use.
However when I use my computer soundcard, I have it set to Instrument which enhances the highs and reduces bass emphasis abit. And occasionly I will use Acoutic for that type of music.
The Yamaha soundfields to me are vey realistic and don't sound phoney when adjusted or calibrated.

musicman1999
10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
It has been my experience that the best thing to do with most of those is turn them off.

bill

L.J.
10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
I never really cared about DSP's until I got my 2700 a couple of months ago. Figured i give it a try and now I find myself using them often, especially for movies. Lately it's been "Adventure" mode but now I think I'll give the "Spectacle" a try too.

For music I only use the "Enhancer" mode when listening to MP3's or cable music channels. Seems to add a little depth. I toy around with the music modes a bit but usually keep off when listening to CD's.

SlumpBuster
10-17-2007, 06:53 PM
I watched Jimmy Stewart in "The FBI Story" last night and used the Mono movie setting.

I use "Enhanced Spectacle 70mm" all the time. 70mm give me a hard on. It can be disconcerting going from plain vanilla DD and DTS to some of the DSP versions, but after awhile you can really get hooked on them. Good front "presence" speakers really add to alot of the DSPs too. Plus, I'll use the fake back surround everytime.

pixelthis
10-18-2007, 12:16 AM
I had a Yamaha rxv-750 that had several dsp modes that were quite good (yamaha made their own chips) but since I purchased my integra I see no reason for the various modes.
If it doesnt sound good with PROII , either music or movie, then its one of the DTS modes,
this is with two channel stuff, with 5.1 (or 7.1) nothing extra is needed, really
They have superseded the old DSP modes, which at their best, were variations on the old reverb circuits:1:

flippo
10-18-2007, 03:14 AM
I like dts neo 6 music sometimes (like better than PLII)

Wireworm5
10-18-2007, 04:50 AM
I forgot to mention, lately I've tried only a couple of times, 6 channel mode. Which Usually I only use for sacd. If the 5.1 is balanced it sounds really smooth.

shokhead
10-18-2007, 06:01 AM

Hate them,i'd rather have another input or output.

kexodusc
10-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Hate them,i'd rather have another input or output.
SHOCKY! Where ya been bro?

shokhead
10-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Here and there,lurking. Spending alot of time on the sh forums buying and selling.{more buying.$$}

bobsticks
10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
It has been my experience that the best thing to do with most of those is turn them off.

bill

I'll cosign this although I have a coupe of discs that are so old and brittle that you need a little somethin' somethin' to fill 'em out--usually neo 6.

Keppel
11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I prefer everthing to be as flat as a pancake. This way, I can hear all the problems with the audio, and it gives me an opportunity to criticize! :)

Corto Maltese
11-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Subjective.
Explore and use what you feel it is good.
Test all of them with your family, or friends who watch movies with you. Make it the jury review. After all lab testing, that's what big companies do as well, to verify the results... It could give you new outlook on the things, if you try to be objective to your group (jury) review.
GE was testing the fridges. So called "annoyance factor", if I can remember correctly. In perfect labs. With SPL meters, spectrum analyzers, etc. Jury evaluation did win every time - they predicted correctly the best sellers every time.
Good luck, and be objective about subjective...
Bad joke, sorry...

shokhead
11-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Are you drunk?:confused5:

hydroman
11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I use 'dublee' exclusively.

'Oh come on! You know she meant Dolby[tm]!' -Spinal Tap:5:

No, seriously, flat. They all sound 'artificial' to me. [shrug]