Looking for info on YAMAHA NS-300X [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on YAMAHA NS-300X

tommywpg
10-16-2007, 08:23 AM
I can't seem to find any decent info on these. Were they not made for the North American market or something like that?

Any info or reviews appreciated.

tommywpg
10-16-2007, 08:46 AM
I just noticed that they are 6 ohms. Will that be a problem for my CR1020?

pixelthis
10-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Info on yammy speakers?
Well, they suck, basically, can't put it any simpler than that
Yamaha's area of expertise is electronics, not speakers. Although they did (and maybe still do) put out a sub that was a bit of a secret, a sub produced by an electronics
manufacturer that actually sounded good.
But, like pioneer, technics, etc their regular line of speakers are universaly BAD.
Sorry:1:

pixelthis
10-17-2007, 12:07 AM
As for the six ohms' I beleive most receivers will handle that fine, they will just sound louder sooner, a poor receiver might overheat but it would have to be a very poorly designed p.o.s

SlumpBuster
10-17-2007, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't necessarily take Pixels sweeping and gross mischaracterization of Yamaha speakers.

Yamaha, like most major electronics manufactures, has put out some great speakers and some real duds. Yamaha makes critically acclaimed hi-end speakers: Soavo 1 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=543831&CTID=5040543) Their little white monitor has been a studio staple for years. And, Yammies NS-1000s and 500s routinely go for $500 -$2000 on ebay and audiogon. I don't know the 300's relation to those speakers though. But it does have the fact that it is made in Japan going for it. Hook them up and they just may sing.

The majority of Yammies loudspeaker duds are produced in Malaysia and are often also re-branded as other brands too. For example, in the 90s Yammie and KLH were putting out suspiciously similar bargain basement speakers.

Here is an owners manual for the 300: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/Ssys/NS-300X.pdf

Also, the 6ohm should present no problem for your 1020. The owners manual rates it at 90 watts at 4ohms. I suspect is is 2 ohm stable as I have yet to see a 2 channel Yammie receiver or amp that wasn't. Lots of their AVRs are not though. Nice receiver btw. That b!tch is like 40 lbs. :D

pixelthis
10-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't necessarily take Pixels sweeping and gross mischaracterization of Yamaha speakers.

Yamaha, like most major electronics manufactures, has put out some great speakers and some real duds. Yamaha makes critically acclaimed hi-end speakers: Soavo 1 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=543831&CTID=5040543) Their little white monitor has been a studio staple for years. And, Yammies NS-1000s and 500s routinely go for $500 -$2000 on ebay and audiogon. I don't know the 300's relation to those speakers though. But it does have the fact that it is made in Japan going for it. Hook them up and they just may sing.

The majority of Yammies loudspeaker duds are produced in Malaysia and are often also re-branded as other brands too. For example, in the 90s Yammie and KLH were putting out suspiciously similar bargain basement speakers.

Here is an owners manual for the 300: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/Ssys/NS-300X.pdf

Also, the 6ohm should present no problem for your 1020. The owners manual rates it at 90 watts at 4ohms. I suspect is is 2 ohm stable as I have yet to see a 2 channel Yammie receiver or amp that wasn't. Lots of their AVRs are not though. Nice receiver btw. That b!tch is like 40 lbs. :D

I beg to differ...A LOT.
Sure yammies made a few hits, but this aint it. A generic three driver array made in some rice paddy in the far east, to be sold to the clueless who want their entire system to be "yamaha".
And I had KLH once, they were a port in a storm, but saying these might be similar is no compliment, beleive me, and comparing them to yammys high end effort is missleading, to say the least, kinda like comparing a box kite to a 747:1:

pixelthis
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
and IT HAS "MADE IN JAPAN GOING FOR IT!!!"
Are you serious? Its a hi-fi axiom that you stay away from japanese speakers.
PERIOD.
Especially these loss leaders:incazzato:

SlumpBuster
10-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Hands off the keyboard troll... you'll need both to cradle my balls while you stroke the shaft. I trust your impression is based on the extensive listening test you conducted of the 300x with your Randy Travis CD.

P.S. Your post is racist. "Rice paddie?"

SlumpBuster
10-18-2007, 08:12 AM
For original poster's edification, vintage Yamaha comes in two flavors generally. Stuff made in Japan and stuff made in Malaysia. Generally, made in Japan is an indicator that you are dealing with higher quality Yamaha. But, that can still be misleading as much of Yamaha's current production has been shifted to Malaysia and quality products like the HTR and RX receivers are produced there now.

Germany does not have a chokehold on fine engineering (actually alot of it sucks IMO. Have you seen the cupholders on an Audi?). Japan has a rich tradition of engineering that has produced everything from exotic items like the samuri katana sword, the Mitsubishi Zero fighter plane, and the Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, to the mundane, like Honda lawnmowers, the Kawasaki Ninja, and yes, even some speakers.

mikemorrow
10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Speakers are subjective to ones ears. If you like them, then you like them. But IMHO you should shop around a bit. There are some very good but diferant sounding speakers out there. And shop with your fav music in hand.

pixelthis
10-19-2007, 03:21 PM
For original poster's edification, vintage Yamaha comes in two flavors generally. Stuff made in Japan and stuff made in Malaysia. Generally, made in Japan is an indicator that you are dealing with higher quality Yamaha. But, that can still be misleading as much of Yamaha's current production has been shifted to Malaysia and quality products like the HTR and RX receivers are produced there now.

Germany does not have a chokehold on fine engineering (actually alot of it sucks IMO. Have you seen the cupholders on an Audi?). Japan has a rich tradition of engineering that has produced everything from exotic items like the samuri katana sword, the Mitsubishi Zero fighter plane, and the Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, to the mundane, like Honda lawnmowers, the Kawasaki Ninja, and yes, even some speakers.

Yes the japanese have a rich tradition of engineering, but have you heard their music?
As for the rice paddy comment, sorry if your knowledge of world affairs is so scanty.
But for awhile this phrase reffered to unloading an entire factory off of a 747 onto some rice paddy in the far east and turning out cheap crap using underpaid third world labor,
which was (and still is ) going on
And where do the Germans figure into this?
The English and the Americans are the ones well known for their speakers, indeed, America is where the whole HI-FI hobby got started, along with DXing and shortwave

SlumpBuster
10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes the japanese have a rich tradition of engineering, but have you heard their music?
Yes. Much of it rocks. Particularly Japanese punk.

As for the rice paddy comment, sorry if your knowledge of world affairs is so scanty.
But for awhile this phrase reffered to unloading an entire factory off of a 747 onto some rice paddy in the far east and turning out cheap crap using underpaid third world labor,
which was (and still is ) going on

What ever gets you through the night. I'm not the one who is dismissive of an entire culture and their accomplishments. Last time I checked, Japan had Japaneses companies. So exactly who was "off loading factories"? Scanty world knowledge is demonstrated by referring to modern Japan at anytime in the 20th century as third world.

basite
10-20-2007, 01:34 AM
well, here's a 'short' manual, the NS series were Yamaha's top of the line series back then. Using Beryllium tweeters & mids, for $100, it would be a good deal.

Go get them, don't mind pixelthis' comments. he's a troll...

mikemorrow
10-20-2007, 04:53 AM
well, here's a 'short' manual, the NS series were Yamaha's top of the line series back then. Using Beryllium tweeters & mids, for $100, it would be a good deal.

Go get them, don't mind pixelthis' comments. he's a troll...

Good eye basite. I missed that they were the NS series. Good speakers.

basite
10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
I just noticed that they are 6 ohms. Will that be a problem for my CR1020?

just noticed...

you have a CR 1020...

that will be an exellent match!!!

If you haven't grabbed them already, go get those speakers NOW!

object16
10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I have a pair of these. they have carbon fiber 10.5 " woofers in a ported box, are
rated for 100 - 200 w, and if you can google yamaha ns 300 x the first thing that comes
up will be a site where you can down load the pdf. The download actually shows the
response, 91db at 1 watt, and shows the 2nd and 3rd order harmonics. These were
definitely not put together in a rice paddy. Yamaha takes care of its name, and I
have been listening to these for years without complaint. I notice the response seems
to drop off quite a bit below 90 hz on the pdf, but I would not have guessed this from listening to them. They have a nice flat response, a 2.5" dome midrange, and a dome tweeter, all protected by a nice metal grill so fingers won't poke them :) So they are an excellent speaker that can be had for very little, and I would tend to lay them on their side in
front of my monitor, eventually when I get my Linkwitz Orion set up, and use them as
a very awesome centre channel (even if a little unorthodox, fortunately your ears don't
have retinas on them :) ) All the best and good luck.

http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yamaha_audio/speaker_systems/ns-300x

jim goulding
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Pixel must not have heard or heard of the NS1000 Monitors. I have. In a demo room with a dozen other speakers (and since). And the salesman was not trying to sell these. The poor bloke just rang them up and then he had to say which speakers were playing cause yours truly inquired. Other speakers being shown were Advents and KEF's and so on. These were the most expensive of the lot, granted. These speakers are to this day used in Japan primarily with tube electronics for better richness to balance their upper end extention. You know, the land where moving coils and highly engineered tonearms, in addition to uber low output tube amps, altho this may not have been what His Pixness (he's my man, I'm just playin) was refering to, come from. The speakers you are inquiring about are cousins. That's a good size bass driver and carbon fibre is used today in Pro Ac and Reference 3A speakers. It's light and stiff is why. That's good for transient control and lack of overhang. I have not heard these, but they come from a hella of a lineage. I wouldn't discount them if you can hear them. Inquire about their age.

I confess, I never have gotten this troll thing. Pix isn't a troll (?), he's an uber provocateur (it ain't been that long since I knew what uber was either). He ain't opinionated or nothin, huh. It's the way he expresses it that makes him so popular. Tempered, I expect, by rivalry he holds dear. And that's OK, in my humble opinion. King of the red pills!