Need help on sub : Velodyne or REL? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help on sub : Velodyne or REL?

wchek
10-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I am seting up a stereo system at home and and now deciding on which sub to match with my speaker and amp.

For speaker i am looking at Sonus Faber Concertino Domus or ProAc Reference 8. Both speaker are bookshelf so I need a sub to handle the low bass in 2-channel music. For amp i am looking at Rotel 06 series (cdp, pre, power). For sub, i am looking at Velodyne VX-10 or REL Quake.

The problem is, i can audition ProAc and REL in one shop, and SF and Velodyne in another shop, and i think these combo would match. But i wouldn't know if SF and REL are a good match, or ProAc and Velodyne. Please help!!

Both Velodyne and REL are reputable sub makers, but i heard Velodyne is only good at its higher range products. Is that true?

basite
10-14-2007, 01:14 AM
the Rel Quake is an exellent product, if your room isn't huge...

if you have a normal-sized room, I'd definately get the REL.

wchek
10-14-2007, 03:41 AM
the Rel Quake is an exellent product, if your room isn't huge...

if you have a normal-sized room, I'd definately get the REL.

I am going to setup the system in my living room, which measures 17' x 17' x 9' with one side fully open. Not sure if this is consider big or small room, but i plan to use to sub to complement the bookshelf for music.

Beside room size, i am also concern about matching of sub to the speaker. As far as i know some speakers are slow and wouldn't match a normal/fast sub, and vice versa.

Help...