Record cleaning with steam? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record cleaning with steam?

JohnMichael
10-12-2007, 06:37 AM
I received the newest Mapleshade catalog and was surprised to see they are offering the Phonophile record cleaning system using a hand held steamer. From the description you add cleaner to the water and the combination will loosen up dirt deep in the groove and then you remove more dirt using microfiber cloths. It costs $150.00 which if it works as claimed will be a bargain. They do warn against getting any closer than 6 inches with the cleaner I assume to prevent melted grooves.

I was wondering if anyone has used this system or uses steam to clean vinyl? I am seriously thinking about ordering the kit next week and trying it out. Of course I will probably test it on an old Wham record. Please share your thoughts.

BRANDONH
10-12-2007, 09:00 AM
I received the newest Mapleshade catalog and was surprised to see they are offering the Phonophile record cleaning system using a hand held steamer. From the description you add cleaner to the water and the combination will loosen up dirt deep in the groove and then you remove more dirt using microfiber cloths. It costs $150.00 which if it works as claimed will be a bargain. They do warn against getting any closer than 6 inches with the cleaner I assume to prevent melted grooves.

I was wondering if anyone has used this system or uses steam to clean vinyl? I am seriously thinking about ordering the kit next week and trying it out. Of course I will probably test it on an old Wham record. Please share your thoughts.
I am curious too!
The flyer said its better than any vacuum machine.
I am also interested in their Phonophile record mat and record weight.
Sounds very interesting and they said satisfaction guarenteed or my money back.

JohnMichael
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I am curious too!
The flyer said its better than any vacuum machine.
I am also interested in their Phonophile record mat and record weight.
Sounds very interesting and they said satisfaction guarenteed or my money back.

Since my RB 250 tonearm is as low as it can go I am afraid the mat is too thin. I do agree it is an interesting idea. What did you think of the cartridge mounting idea? Years ago Mod Squad sold a T shaped item with small raised bumps for mounting between cartridges and headshells. Maybe there is nothing new under the sun.

BRANDONH
10-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Since my RB 250 tonearm is as low as it can go I am afraid the mat is too thin. I do agree it is an interesting idea. What did you think of the cartridge mounting idea? Years ago Mod Squad sold a T shaped item with small raised bumps for mounting between cartridges and headshells. Maybe there is nothing new under the sun.

The cartridge system sounds like an ok idea but the the piece that installs between the tonearm and plinth would not work with my Technics.
I myself probably would not go with that upgrade/tweek.
The problem with me trying anymore phono mats or clamps (though this one is a weight) is so far everything I have tried in the past I always end up putting the original factory mat back on.
Same thing with my KAB rubber record clamp it just seems to kill the passion of the LP.
I put it on and think I like it then after a few records I end up playing the rest of the night with out it.
But with a satisfaction guarantee I may try it. Although I bet we would be responsible for shipping both ways.

jrhymeammo
04-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Mr. P.

SInce I didnt spend $150 on that phonophile kit, my $30 handheld steamer from a Wal-Green didnt come with a LP Cleaning Instruction.
But here is what I'm currently doing with dirty/2nd hand LP.

*Cover LP label with a bar coaster
*Spin LP at 45rmp with pitch turned all the way up.
*Spray RRL solution and apply over the entire surface.
*Scorch da hell out of vintage LP while still spinning for about 5-10 secs.
*Scrub away with my MoFi brush then vacuum it dry.

I'm not concerned about warping at this moment, because I keep a nozzle about 6" away from surface, while platter is still spinning. But I would never steam closer than 3".Yikes!!

Since I havent experimented enough, it's hard to say, but I might stop spending money on RC solution.
As obsurd as it may sound, I'm defintely getting much clearer sound from my older LP with less pops. I'm also noticing significantly less deburis on my stylus at end of each play.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this to someone without a vacuuming device, but it is defintely worth $30

JRA

jrhymeammo
04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Here is a picture.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/My_Bangin_Cleaning_Station.jpg

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
JRA, Worth a try. The trick is to loosen up the dirt No?

I have a bunch of unplayable LPs so off to Wall-Mart for me. I happen to have an old Technics TT I could use just for cleaning purposes. Nuttin' to lose. Tanx

Edit: Thats the exact TT I am gunna use for dis.

jrhymeammo
04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
JRA, Worth a try. The trick is to loosen up the dirt No?

I have a bunch of unplayable LPs so off to Wall-Mart for me.

Be sure to grab a jug of DISTILLED water. Also, go to Walgreens. Wal_Mart didnt have a hand held device with a convenient L-shaped adaptor. Also being at a Wal-Mart makes you wanna wack yourself. LOL.

JRA

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Be sure to grab a jug of DISTILLED water. Also, go to Walgreens. Wal_Mart didnt have a hand held device with a convenient L-shaped adaptor. Also being at a Wal-Mart makes you wanna wack yourself. LOL.

JRA

Good tip 'bout the adaptor but up here in da Great White North we gots no Walgreens. Got a gallon of distilled H2O sittin in my closet ready to be put in action.

I hear ya Bro, I go to Walmart as little as possible, haven't been in over a year.

Mr Peabody
04-06-2008, 06:45 PM
The price is right. You say 45, what if you had a TT with 78 would that be better? I don't have the extra table and besides I don't know if my mom would let me use something like that.