Best LCD under $1000 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best LCD under $1000

audio_dude
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi guys, we're thinking of buying the Grandpa a new TV for X-mas. Budget is around a grand, screen size around 32"+.

We're probably going to buy around mid november, maybe a little later. So far I've seen some nice ones from panasonic for the price, but who knows.

Even though the canadian dollar is worth MORE than the american dollar, we're still paying a premium on everything here. We have relatives availible to buy it in new york, so its all good.

Feature we're looking for: well, maybe 1080i if possible, biggest screen as possible, well built (it will be used approx 5 hours a day) and it should last as long as possible.

oh, and it will probably be used with regular analogue cable, so something with a good A/D converter is a necessity.

Thanks all in advance!
-Rob

pixelthis
10-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Hi guys, we're thinking of buying the Grandpa a new TV for X-mas. Budget is around a grand, screen size around 32"+.

We're probably going to buy around mid november, maybe a little later. So far I've seen some nice ones from panasonic for the price, but who knows.

Even though the canadian dollar is worth MORE than the american dollar, we're still paying a premium on everything here. We have relatives availible to buy it in new york, so its all good.

Feature we're looking for: well, maybe 1080i if possible, biggest screen as possible, well built (it will be used approx 5 hours a day) and it should last as long as possible.

oh, and it will probably be used with regular analogue cable, so something with a good A/D converter is a necessity.

Thanks all in advance!
-Rob

IF YOU GET an LCD it will either be 1080p, 720p, or 768p
They will play 1080i, 480i, 480p, etc, just convert it to their "native" resolution first.
A 1080P IS OUT OF YOUR BUDGET, probably, and as for screen size, I have seen 37in
sets for as low as 800$, (720 or 768p ). I can't beleive they cost much more up their in Canuck land.
Vizio sells a set for under a grand thats 42in, and 768p (1366 by 768)
Don't know about Canada, but we will need an atsc tuner by 2009, so make sure your set has one, you guys tend to mimic us in such matters.
And get grandpaw a HD cablebox, or at least a standard def digital one.
A lcd TELEVISION is wasted on analog cable:1:

PDN
10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Go with the Sony Bravia 32" KDL32S3000 720p LCD TV. I just did a few weeks ago and so far, very happy. Funny but the further away you sit from it (to a point of course), the better the picture looks. We had a Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p on order for 6 weeks and just couldn't get it. Finally gave up. They kept back ordering it. It was in the $1300.00 area. The Sony sells for $999.00 in Best Buy presently. (Mine was no cost through Marriott travel points). That's my recommendation.

audio_dude
10-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks PDN, I've been looking at the Sony online and it looks like a winner right now. (oh, and it's selling for $797 right now)

The only reason we're getting an HD lcd as opposed to a much cheaper Tube TV of the same size is simply that my dad...i dunno, he's just stubborn, he wants to get an lcd, and thats what he's gonna buy.

pixelthis
10-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Go with the Sony Bravia 32" KDL32S3000 720p LCD TV. I just did a few weeks ago and so far, very happy. Funny but the further away you sit from it (to a point of course), the better the picture looks. We had a Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p on order for 6 weeks and just couldn't get it. Finally gave up. They kept back ordering it. It was in the $1300.00 area. The Sony sells for $999.00 in Best Buy presently. (Mine was no cost through Marriott travel points). That's my recommendation.

TV ALWAYS looks better from a distance, the pixels merge more, get up close and
you can see the pixel structure.
A higher rez just means that you can sit closer is all

daviethek
10-30-2007, 04:38 AM
The only reason we're getting an HD lcd as opposed to a much cheaper Tube TV of the same size is simply that my dad...i dunno, he's just stubborn, he wants to get an lcd, and thats what he's gonna buy.[/QUOTE]

my kids talk about me like that now.