Funniest RR Post of All Time???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Funniest RR Post of All Time????

JDaniel
02-26-2004, 07:22 PM
What's your vote for the funniest RR post ever?

My #1 would be Finch's detailed review of Yech's "Last Waltz" comp, with lines such as "sounded like someone's head banging a headboard while having sex". I wish I'd have thought to salvage that thread before the old site went away.

Another good one was my "picture" review of Finch's Tribal Tech comp, which arrived in the mail with a large chunk broken off of the disc.

And then there was the RR Hall of Shame, where we all posted our pics. Those were pretty funny. Alot of you guys are old an ugly!:D

Any come to mind for you all?

JD

dld
02-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Without doubt, Yech's Christmas post from 2 years ago (that would be 3 Christmas's ago. He wished presents on ten of his favorite Rave Wreck "buddies". The best, "An Atom Bomb for Demtrio to blow off those eyebrows" (as an owner of a, unkempt set my self, I can appreciate that one). The rest, tho not up to that level, were close to it.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Don't have a specific one, but I'm sure my favorite was penned by our late lamented friend RPM. Anybody know where Rick's gotten to? This is place is just not as fun without him, (and Rae, and Cornelius).

Mark

Jim Clark
02-27-2004, 06:02 AM
I seem recall getting some well deserved grief for an extremely unfortunate typo! Some folks got a couple of years worth of entertainment out of that one.

jc

Dusty Chalk
02-27-2004, 06:30 AM
My favourite was from Chip, where he used a bunch of different band names to tell a story, I remember my sides hurting after laughing at that one so hard. Let's see if I can find it...aw, man, can't even get to the server anymore! Oh, well...
Without doubt, Yech's Christmas post from 2 years ago (that would be 3 Christmas's ago. He wished presents on ten of his favorite Rave Wreck "buddies". The best, "An Atom Bomb for Demtrio to blow off those eyebrows" (as an owner of a, unkempt set my self, I can appreciate that one). The rest, tho not up to that level, were close to it.http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=305&stc=1http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=304&stc=1

Mr MidFi
02-27-2004, 08:49 AM
What about the guy who kept posting over and over, wanting to know if we thought it was "OK" to "strip" all the "strong cuts" and "hot tracks" from his favorite Goo-Goo-Dolls discs, in making his "modern rock" comp. That wasn't intentionally funny, but it was funny nonetheless. It just kept getting weirder the more he insisted on pressing the point.

(Also, The Church...After Everything, Now This...Feel the chills! Thank me later!)

Finch Platte
02-27-2004, 10:29 AM
What about the guy who kept posting over and over, wanting to know if we thought it was "OK" to "strip" all the "strong cuts" and "hot tracks" from his favorite Goo-Goo-Dolls discs, in making his "modern rock" comp. That wasn't intentionally funny, but it was funny nonetheless. It just kept getting weirder the more he insisted on pressing the point.

(Also, The Church...After Everything, Now This...Feel the chills! Thank me later!)

Yeah, that was a goot vun.

fp

Swish
02-27-2004, 03:41 PM
I can't remember who came up with all of them, but they were hysterical. Was it Troy? Rae? Chip? Hey! Wait one minute! How about the one where Troy (I think it was Troy) went to see Styx for grins and giggles at an outdoor "festival" type thing and described all the assorted weirdos he encountered. That was probably funnier than the Davey list come to think of it. I wish I would have saved some of that crap now that I think about it. It would really be funny to see that stuff today. I certainly laughed at YECH's Xmas list, so good one DLD.

Regards,
Swish

Troy
02-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

Not Styx

My buddy Gomez called me yesterday afternoon and said "Wanna go see Styx tonite? We can sit down front and laugh at them. They're playing at the county fair for free". "Oh god, Styx sucks, man!" I said. "Well, what else am I gonna do on a Monday night, watch Everybody Loves Raymond?" How can you argue with logic like that?

Off we went to the fair about 6 PM. The San Mateo County fair is prettystrange as county fairs go. This being suburban San Francisco it was a surreal mix of the country bumpkins with their animals from over the hill in Half Moon Bay and angry suburban teenagers. This county is mostly suburban, but is quickly urbanizing and becoming a land of haves and have nots. The fair attracts the have nots in droves. The rural Mexican farmers with pigs on leashes and disaffected punker teenaged lesbians were a bizarre mix, but everyone seemed to get along fine. I loved that it was hard to tell the carneys apart from the fair goers. Everyone looked like characters from a Stan Ridgway song. Didn't go on any of the rides since they looked like the same exact machines that I rode on when I was a kid, only now these old centrifugal potmetal puke inducers are being held together with rubber bands and paperclips. They all looked like they were ready to come apart and fling shrapnel and children into the parking lot. I kept thinking that this would be THE place to bring fresh foreigners to expose them to the REAL America. THIS truly was as American as it gets.

About 7:30 we had had our obligatory 3 beers for dinner and made our way over to the music tent. Fold up chairs and park benches made up the seating and we plopped ourselves in the sound systems sweet spot, about 50 feet from the stage in the center. Gee, there were only about 35 people sitting there and the show was supposed to start in 3 minutes! How depressing must THAT be for these has beens? Ahh, the lights go down and the announcer
comes out. He announces that tonites band is the "World Classic Rockers". Gomez and I look at each other like "What the . . .?" He takes out his fair program, curses and won't look me in the eye. I grab the program and read that Styx is TOMORROW night. Wow. How lame is that? Gomez obviously smokes too much pot. The announcer starts to introduce the band; "This "ultimate classic rock all-star band" was formed by Nick St. Nicholas, formerly of Steppenwolf. Members include Randy Meisner, formerly of The Eagles; Denny Laine of The Moody Blues and Wings; Spencer Davis, founder of The Spencer Davis Group; Michael Monarch of Steppenwolf; Fergie Frederiksen, former lead singer of Toto; drummer Ron Wikso of Foreigner; and vocalist Rosilee." (lifted from the fair program, yeah, like I'm gonna remember all that!) Basically, everybody from the early 70's that played in rock and roll that, for whatever reason, didn't make any money. Now here these matching skintight black leather pants wearing, mullet
haircut sporting geezers are, doing the Monday night show on the county fair circuit in front of 50 people in the 21st Century. It was a huge band that unfortunately sounded like a Vegas lounge act. I immediately flashed on Spinal Tap having second billing to a puppet show at an amusement park. They proceeded to vandalize rock standards at a prodigious rate. The Spencer Davis Group songs "Gimme some Lovin" and "I'm a Man" were pretty good and
punchy, but the slack and uninspired version of Toto's "Africa" they did was embarrassing. It's not that they made mistakes or screwed it up, rather it was like nobody in the band wanted to play it. "LIve and Let Die" rocked, but Denny Laine's voice is just shredded wheat. I sat there wishing it was a goofy high energy ska band covering all these great old rock songs. Somehow, I think that a ska version of Foreigner's generic anthem "Hot Blooded" needs to be done by somebody . . . Gomez and I were roaring with laughter thru the whole set. The audience consisting of tattooed bikers and Downs Syndrome victims loved every minute of the pathetic posturing in this cornball show and crowded the stage eagerly awaiting the encore. Gomez and I bailed out immediately and he apologized profusely all the way to the parking lot about screwing up the schedule. I told him that this was actually a lot more fun than a Styx show could ever have been. The crowd would have been totally different. I really got a double dose of raw Americana, a cheesy weeknight at the County Fair. The band sucked, but I had more fun than at most concerts I go to.

After dropping Gomez off, I headed up the into the hills to the rural parts of the county and did a late night flight down Skyline Road, a twisting hilly road running the ridges overlooking the bay. 60, 70, 80 MPH on curves rated at 30, 40, 50 MPH while blasting Yes's super high fi "Talk" album. The new 10" subwoofer with 400 watts going through it hummed and pounded perfectly. It was so loud, I could feel the bass through the brake pedal as I late apexed through the twisties. Sheer bliss.

BarryL
02-27-2004, 04:30 PM
What's your vote for the funniest RR post ever?

My #1 would be Finch's detailed review of Yech's "Last Waltz" comp, with lines such as "sounded like someone's head banging a headboard while having sex". I wish I'd have thought to salvage that thread before the old site went away.

Another good one was my "picture" review of Finch's Tribal Tech comp, which arrived in the mail with a large chunk broken off of the disc.

And then there was the RR Hall of Shame, where we all posted our pics. Those were pretty funny. Alot of you guys are old an ugly!:D

Any come to mind for you all?

JD

I think this one was from Troy. I remember that it was really funny, but it don't remember the details. All I remember is it had something to do with him scoring some old Genesis bootleg concert VHS tapes, and spending hours recording them to a) find out that he recorded nothing; or b) find out that he recorded over them.

Or then again, maybe it was Dave G with Kansas, but I think it was Troy.

Troy
02-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, that was me. I scored this really rare mid-70s Genesis concert footage recorded during rehearsals by their lighting designers, watched it once and then immediately taped over it thinking it was a blank tape. I went thru about 6 favors with different people to get it too. What a maroon.

JDaniel
02-27-2004, 05:22 PM
We should contact Chris (administrator) to see if it is possible to get access to them for a day or two to archive some of this stuff. Tis a shame we didn't think of this earlier.

Any volunteers to contact him then store a few posts?

JD

Davey
02-27-2004, 05:34 PM
We should contact Chris (administrator) to see if it is possible to get access to them for a day or two to archive some of this stuff. Tis a shame we didn't think of this earlier.

Any volunteers to contact him then store a few posts?

JD
The archive is still there, just follow the link on the right side of the page. The trouble is that there isn't a search engine for it. For example, I made a post earlier but then deleted it since I was over my 2 post quota for the day, but it had a link to the archived thread that Swish posted about.....

Yeah, there have been some big time funny posts in the past but the archive no longer has a search engine so it makes finding them kinda tough (impossible?). Chrisnz has come up with some of the funniest lines I've ever heard before - maybe it's just the accent? Same with Snowbunny and Sloshy and Troy and many others. But since RPM isn't around here, I'll nominate one of his that was about me. Kind of a classic, at least a couple responders thought so at the time :)

http://forums.audioreview.com/html/audio/10/0EED3DBF.php

Swish
02-27-2004, 07:09 PM
The archive is still there, just follow the link on the right side of the page. The trouble is that there isn't a search engine for it. For example, I made a post earlier but then deleted it since I was over my 2 post quota for the day, but it had a link to the archived thread that Swish posted about.....

Yeah, there have been some big time funny posts in the past but the archive no longer has a search engine so it makes finding them kinda tough (impossible?). Chrisnz has come up with some of the funniest lines I've ever heard before - maybe it's just the accent? Same with Snowbunny and Sloshy and Troy and many others. But since RPM isn't around here, I'll nominate one of his that was about me. Kind of a classic, at least a couple responders thought so at the time :)

http://forums.audioreview.com/html/audio/10/0EED3DBF.php
Oh man, thanks for recovering that classic piece! I had to copy and paste it so I could read it a few more times and share it with everyone else. RPM was one funny dude!

"Top ten reasons why dbi (Davey) is missing from Rave Recordings"

10) His New Years resolution was to avoid geeks.

9) He switched hobbies and can now be found posting at www.stampcollectorreview.com

8) Despondent over breakup of The Super Furry Elbows

7) girlfriend has him handcuffed to bedposts

6) arrested by FBI for "unauthorized reproduction of recordings"

5) He was sucked into his PC like Tron

4) undergoing long term treatment at the RPM institute for compaholics

3) While partying on New Years eve, he and Troy accidentally met up at a local bar. A fight ensued at the jukebox over whether to play Beulah or Ben Folds. Troy won.

2) trying to work up the courage to post his latest comp "Brittany...the talent beyond the beauty"

and the # 1 rumor why dbi has been absent...

1) eloped to Mexico with Snowbunny!

Hope all is well big Dave, we miss ya. ;-)

Rick

Audio Girl
03-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Yep, the dbi MIA post by RPM was the one that had me laughing the most. Miss you, RPM!

Swish
12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
We haven't had fun like this in a long, long time.

G Swish Daddy

Audio Girl
12-22-2007, 05:11 PM
We haven't had fun like this in a long, long time.

G Swish Daddy

I agree, and truly miss those times on here. Where is:

RPM
Darius
YECHy
DLD
Whooptie
Snowbunny

There are so many more. For the record, still reside in the same state, family is doing great, son reupped for 4 more in Oct 2006 and is based out of Frankfurt, Germany.
Began my 9th year with same company but hope to make a change in 2008. My best to Forever Autumn, Jim Clark, Davey, Stone, Swishie, Sloshie, Rae, 3 Locker, FP, I better stop here I am going to overlook someone.

Merry Christmas ~ Happy Holidays,
Ag

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Hey AG, we could add you to that MIA list most of the time also! Happy holidays to you and your family. Nice to see you still kicking around here one in a while.

newtrix1
01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Don't have a specific one, but I'm sure my favorite was penned by our late lamented friend RPM. Anybody know where Rick's gotten to? This is place is just not as fun without him, (and Rae, and Cornelius).

Mark

Just been having a blast loading my new Christmas toy (80 GB Ipod).

NP: Dark Side of the Moon (mofi of course)