Axiom M50 vs rockets or something else for 2 channel music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom M50 vs rockets or something else for 2 channel music

teacherrob9
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I am going to setup a large living room that opens up to a dining room with a 2 channel setupu that will have a sony cd changer, pro-ject debut III turntable and an ipod...
What speakers are the best for audio. I don't care for HT setup, this is for music only. The room has cathedral ceilings and wood floors. I know I can test any speaker out, but I'd like to get a good match first so I don't have to waste shipping if possible.

pixelthis
10-11-2007, 02:31 AM
I am going to setup a large living room that opens up to a dining room with a 2 channel setupu that will have a sony cd changer, pro-ject debut III turntable and an ipod...
What speakers are the best for audio. I don't care for HT setup, this is for music only. The room has cathedral ceilings and wood floors. I know I can test any speaker out, but I'd like to get a good match first so I don't have to waste shipping if possible.
A friend uses axioms (M80's ) for a two channel music system, the "rockets" probably
arent much different (they are very similar) .
If you want decent sound these arent considered "hifi" by most.
B&W, vienna , Totem, something a bit more refined might be your speed.
I had a pair of Bostons once, they were quite nice.
Just stay away from speakers with titanium tweeters, they are great for HT but cause listening fatigue after awhile

GMichael
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure how the Axioms will compare to the Rockets. But if you are already looking at AV123, let me suggest the Strata Mini's. They were designed with music in mind. The rockets are better suited to HT.

pixelthis
10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure how the Axioms will compare to the Rockets. But if you are already looking at AV123, let me suggest the Strata Mini's. They were designed with music in mind. The rockets are better suited to HT.
About the only diff is the "whizzer" cones in the middle of the rockets, otherwise they look
like clones. Do they sound different? Maybe, but not MUCH different.
Rockets have always seemed to be there just so Axiom buyers could know that their beer wasn't from the VERY bottom of the barrel.
I got peruvian schizo pissed for WEEKS comparing his precious PSB speakers to Axioms.Saddest part was when he posted side by side pics of the two.
The driver arrays, cabinets, everything except cosmetics and tweeter choices were the same.
Take a look at axiom m80s standing next to some top of the line rockets, do they look at least a LITTLE similar?
Do people have any discernment anymore?
It all boils down to marketing, basically the same product marketed to different buyers,
tweaked for their paticular market.
Which is fine, I bought an Integra knowing it was basically a snazzed up onkyo.
But at least TRY to make them a little different:1:

GMichael
10-18-2007, 05:08 AM
About the only diff is the "whizzer" cones in the middle of the rockets, otherwise they look
like clones. Do they sound different? Maybe, but not MUCH different.
Rockets have always seemed to be there just so Axiom buyers could know that their beer wasn't from the VERY bottom of the barrel.
I got peruvian schizo pissed for WEEKS comparing his precious PSB speakers to Axioms.Saddest part was when he posted side by side pics of the two.
The driver arrays, cabinets, everything except cosmetics and tweeter choices were the same.
Take a look at axiom m80s standing next to some top of the line rockets, do they look at least a LITTLE similar?
Do people have any discernment anymore?
It all boils down to marketing, basically the same product marketed to different buyers,
tweaked for their paticular market.
Which is fine, I bought an Integra knowing it was basically a snazzed up onkyo.
But at least TRY to make them a little different:1:

I love the look of the Rockets. Axioms do nothing for me visually.
Never heard them, so I really can't say if they sound the same or not.