The white van scammers strike again.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The white van scammers strike again..

GMichael
10-09-2007, 08:45 AM
OK, so the van wasn't white this time. But it was the same scam. I was pumping gas when I hear from behind me, "Hey mister." "Do you own a home theater system?" I reply with a confused, "yeah." There were two guys in a brownish, gold Nissan X-tera. I could see the HTIB boxes piled up behind him. He asked, "would you like another?" I said, "No. I already have three." The guy on the other side says, "But you could use another in your boom boom room." Not wanting to start an issue, I just said, "Sorry guys, I'm not interested." At this point they turned a little indignant. The driver growls, "No need to be sorry! I was going to hook you up. Now you're out of luck." He stomped on the gas and swung around to the exit. He spun his tires in the dirt, and sped off down the road. A few seconds later, a worker at the station walks up to me. He asked if those guys were trying to sell me speakers. I said, "yeah, but I know..." He cut me off with a, "Don't buy anything from them. Their speakers are crap. Once you turn them on they blow up!" " I told them not to ever come here again. Don't buy ANYTHING from them."
OK, you got a deal.
Sounded like someone got burned.

SlumpBuster
10-09-2007, 10:08 AM
"But you could use another in your boom boom room."

Who talks like that? That is so funny. That is just so good.

I love white van speaker stories, and that is a great one.

Rich-n-Texas
10-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Whatsa boom boom room???

GMichael
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Apparently, a "boom boom room" is a room that we need to put crappy HTiB's that don't work into.

Jimmy C
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
...I was hit up again about five days ago here in my hometown of Commack, Long Island. For me, it IS usually a white van. This time it was an old Plymouth/Dodge Voyager/Caravan.

Another siting, ca. five years ago, made me wonder if this was legal. The van was sitting the parking lot of a deli trying to sell. Well, I suppose the owner got miffed he was taking up his parking space, and a car with two of Suffolk's finest pulled up. After quite some time, the speaker guys were released. I figured there would be some sort of soliciting law, but apparently not.

In my illustrious, 15 - 20 year "white van" career, I estimate I have been accosted about seven or eight times. I can remember when my '93 GT Probe was new (still have her!), the salesman told me I was "stylin' "...lol. I guess I needed speakers to match!

pixelthis
10-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Apparently, a "boom boom room" is a room that we need to put crappy HTiB's that don't work into.

I was in a "gentlemens " club in Memphis and a half naked girl asked if I wanted
to go to the "boom boom room".
It got kind of fuzzy after that:1:

Worf101
10-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Boom Boom Room aka "passion pit", "Love Lounge", "rumpus room", "Poon Room" etc.... goodness you folks lead sheltered lives!!!

As for the White Van Scam. I'm sure they'd have sold you a $3,000 HT system for $300, what a deal for you!!!!! Guess like our Nigerian Money Scam fellows, these folks have migrated away from speakers to receivers and other junk. Why don't get an honest job like selling Bose.

Da "been around and around the block" Worfster

DEVO
10-11-2007, 05:44 AM
It's been a while since I've seen any of those guys...but when I first saw the caption of the "white van" I thought it was "down by the river".

audio amateur
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM

hahahahahahaha
that is funny mate, love it;)

bobsticks
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Boom Boom Room aka "passion pit", "Love Lounge", "rumpus room", "Poon Room" etc.... goodness you folks lead sheltered lives!!!

Not all of us, my mighty Klingon amigo. Some of us have actually spent time at the "shake shack"...