Actresses with somethin special going on [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Actresses with somethin special going on

jim goulding
10-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Posted this awhile back and got zilch, but one of my nominees has arrived. Tilda Swinton, a British actress who could be seen in Orlando and, later, in The Deep Pool, has arrived. You may have seen her as the "white witch" in The Chronicles of Nardia, etc. You can see her in the upcoming Micheal Clayton and she is in rehearsal for the next Coen Bros flick, again, with George Clooney.

I, also, made mention of Helen Mirren not for her recent work that you all know but for her early work like The Long Good Friday; The Cook, The Thief, and The Lover; and, lest, we forget, her voluptuous display in Caligula with Malcolm McDowell.

Come on now . . turn me on! Some other readers may share your enthusiasm for your nominees and why. Thanks.

jim goulding
10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Seein's how there is absolutely no interest here, I have to ask myself what I was thinking.

Rich-n-Texas
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I couldn't find any movies that Patti Smith acted in Jim, so...

:biggrin5:

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Current actresses who are great in my opinion....

Kirsten Dunst
Rosario Dawson
Eva Green
Jodie Foster (yep, still got it!)
Sigourney Weaver (def. still got it)
Vera Farmiga
Bridget Moynahan
Nicole Kidman (always had it, always will)
Kate Winslet
Jennifer Connelly
Meryl Streep
Natalie Portman
Uma Thurman
Scarlett Johansson
Ziyi Zhang
Christina Ricci

Actresses I can't stand...

Angelina Jolie
Cameron Diaz
Renee Zellwegger (except in DOWN WITH LOVE)
Reese Witherspoon
Jennifer Aniston
Sandra Bullock
Meg Ryan

Kate Hudson

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Seein's how there is absolutely no interest here, I have to ask myself what I was thinking.

This all goes back to what I was saying about how people complain about flame wars and/or thread hijacking, yet those threads get the most activity, but when you actually post something you hope to use to inspire conversation and such...NADA. My lengthy post on THX-1138 took my awhile to write up and I really put effort into writing it and posting pictures...what did I get...NADA.

This place gets a fair amount of regular activity, but it would seem that most of them would rather argue over Blu-ray than actually talk about interesting stuff.

Troy
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Lauren Bacall (To have and Have Not)
Kate Hepburn (Bringing up Baby)
Goldie Hawn (There's a Girl in My Soup)
Jane Fonda (Barbarella)
Ruth Gordon (Harold and Maude)
Uma Thurman (and her adorable Kiwi stunt double that starred in "Death Proof")
Cameron Diaz (Something About Mary)
Scarlett Johansen (Ghost World, The Man Who Wasn't There)

THX1138 wasn't a very good movie, that's why your thread didn't get any responses. Yeah, I saw the original long ago and also the recent re-release with the added footage and while it was a little better it was still as slow as molasses.

jim goulding
10-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Skies. You may be the most dedicated dude here. Nah, f*** that . . you ARE the most dedicated dude here! Thanks, too, Troy, Rich, what are yu grining about.

What have you seen Vera Farmiga in? She may be the best kept secret around.

Back at ya, Troy, with Jane Fonda in Klute, A definitive woman's role and one of the best performances of all time. Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive, another tour de force performance. Got any best kept secrets or mind blowing performances, anyone, fellas?

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Skies. You may be the most dedicated dude here. Nah, f*** that . . you ARE the most dedicated dude here! Thanks, too, Troy, Rich, what are yu grining about.

What have you seen Vera Farmiga in? She may be the best kept secret around.

Back at ya, Troy, with Jane Fonda in Klute, A definitive woman's role and one of the best performances of all time. Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive, another tour de force performance. Got any best kept secrets or mind blowing performances, anyone, fellas?

Farmiga was in AUTUMN IN NEW YORK as a minor character....noticed her there, then again in a little known film called DUMMY (2002), which I thought was so-so with that big nosed guy from THE PIANIST (read: peanis). Then she was in (though I did not see it and NEVER EVER EVER WILL) the remake of John Frankenheimers ever-so classic THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. She did however redeem herself to some degree though in THE DEPARTED, which is still one of my favorite movies of the past 5 years.

A few more honorable mentions....

CATHERINE KEENER
FRANCIS MCDORMAND
AMELIA WARNER
JENA MALONE
MARIA BELLO
EVA MENDES
MADELEINE STOWE
MARION COTILLARD
CARICE VAN HOUTEN
HALIINA REIJN
LENA HEADEY
CONNIE NIELSEN
JADA PINKETT SMITH
ROXANE MESQUIDA
LAURA LINNEY
EMILIE DEQUENNE
LUDIVINE SAGNIER
SAMANTHA MORTON
JULIETTE BINOCHE
LENA OLIN

Rich-n-Texas
10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Hello?

Charlize Theron? Academy award winner? MONSTER... MIGHTY JOE YOUNG?

Am I to believe a dumba$$ like me was the only one to mention her? C'mon people!!!

:rolleyes: <== How 'bout that one Jimbo?

jim goulding
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I don’t know, Rich, maybe it’s easier to inhabit a character (she had film to study, I’m sure) than invent one like Fonda so convincingly did. There was someone on the Oscar nominee list running with Theron who I thought had done as good a job but that serves no purpose cause I don’t remember who is was. I agree that Theron’s performance was worthy, however. Maria Bello just slayed me (man, I could feel her) in that scene in The Cooler after she was beaten up my Alex Baldwin’s character and the director done good by letting her play it out. We weren’t no dummy. Lena Olin’s creation of the psycho assassin ***** in Romeo Is Bleeding is so intense. Skies kind of stole my thunder with Maria Bello. Let me think. Back at ya later.

Oh. And Connie Neilson turns me on. Like Sigourney Weaver, she got somethin going on. Where'd she go?

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I don’t know, Rich, maybe it’s easier to inhabit a character (she had film to study, I’m sure) than invent one like Fonda so convincingly did. There was someone on the Oscar nominee list running with Theron who I thought had done as good a job but that serves no purpose cause I don’t remember who is was. I agree that Theron’s performance was worthy, however. Maria Bello just slayed me (man, I could feel her) in that scene in The Cooler after she was beaten up my Alex Baldwin’s character and the director done good by letting her play it out. We weren’t no dummy. Lena Olin’s creation of the psycho assassin ***** in Romeo Is Bleeding is so intense. Skies kind of stole my thunder with Maria Bello. Let me think. Back at ya later.

Oh. And Connie Neilson turns me on. Like Sigourney Weaver, she got somethin going on. Where'd she go?

on Neilson
She was awesome in ONE HOUR PHOTO, then did THE HUNTED (which I enjoyed), and then a crappy movie called BASIC and I think she was in a few episodes of LAW & ORDER. I liked her in RUSHMORE as well.

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
...I also forgot Claire Danes.

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Came across this great photo...I was never a huge fan of hers...I am a big fan of Barbara Stanwyk though. My favorite Bacall film though has got to be WRITTEN ON THE WIND, which is flat-out hilarious as Robert Stack is shooting blanks...literally.

jim goulding
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Very nice photo to add some beauty here. She was an extraordinary looker in her day. Yeah, that Basic was doo-doo. I saw all the Law & Order episodes you refered to. Loved her accent. Good invention.

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Very nice photo to add some beauty here. She was an extraordinary looker in her day. Yeah, that Basic was doo-doo. I saw all the Law & Order episodes you refered to. Loved her accent. Good invention.

Have you seen SHOPGIRL with Claire Danes and Steve Martin?

jim goulding
10-10-2007, 03:35 AM
No, P, but here's one for ya . . Radha Mitchell.

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
No, P, but here's one for ya . . Radha Mitchell.

She is mixed with her movie choices, but I did enjoy PHONE BOOTH and MAN ON FIRE.

musicman1999
10-10-2007, 12:06 PM
One actress i have always had a thing for is Diane Lane, she is a beautiful woman and a fine actress.She became known in Rumblefish and The Cotton Club around the age of 18 and is still going strong in her early 40's.In my mind still one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

bill

Kam
10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
most of all the great choices have already been taken, so i'll put forward some lesser heralded actresses that have "somethin' special going on..."

Tera Patrick
Eva Angelina
Amy Reid

:D

jim goulding
10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Kam- You've stumped me, and others, I suspect, on these ladies. How about giving us some of their performances that we might get acquainted. Cool?

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
most of all the great choices have already been taken, so i'll put forward some lesser heralded actresses that have "somethin' special going on..."

Tera Patrick
Eva Angelina
Amy Reid

:D

Does that "something" also happen to be something that is "transmitted" easily too?

SlumpBuster
10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Vera Farmiga was also had a good role in Iron Jawed Angels.

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/vera-farmiga/pictures/vera-farmiga-picture-1.jpg

I would wreck that quirky lookin' little thing if given half a chance (Gee, that sounds really, really crass when I say it out loud :D). Iron Jawed Angels was disconcerting for me to watch. Yeah I know its all about sufferage and feminism, but between Farmiga, Frances O'Connor, and Hillary Swank, I found myself thinking some very unprogressive things while watching.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is the 2000 remake of Bedazzled. Frances O'Connor is just too cute. Plus, her high brow stuff ain't half bad.
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/IMAGES/153/821424.jpg

But, if I can garner my selections from all of movie history, the answer is... nay, the answer must be....

1. Kate Winslet - Because she's Kate Winslet... un-fcukin'-deniable. If you haven't fallen maddly in love with her by the end of Eternal Sunshine, then you are a soulless robot.

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/kate-winslet/pictures/kate-winslet-picture-3.jpg

2. Sandra Dee - Because I can't watch Gidget without feeling all pervy and dirty old manny.
http://www.biography.com/biography/images/episode_images/dee_sandra_320x240.jpg

3. Debbie Reynolds - Because I can't watch Singin' in the Rain without thinking "Hey, I'm not so sure Debbie Reynolds is acting as much as just being herself." She is also single handedly responsible for the best "meet cute" in movie history. Yes, Gene Kelly was there too, but it was Debbie doing the heavy lifting.

http://www.nndb.com/people/609/000022543/debbiereynolds2c.jpg

Smokey
10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Finally, some pictures http://forum.digital-digest.com/images/smilies/way2go9rw.gif

jim goulding
10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Yo Slump. Great post. Kate Winslet is strong. I still don't know those actresses I was trying to get more info on. I'm wondering if you ever saw the original Bedazzled? Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. It's classic stuff. Another great one from them is The Wrong Box with a priceless cameo by Peter Sellers. He plays an eccentric old fart forging a death certificate for said clowns. There are about 50 cats roaming around his tiny attic apartment and so he just picks one up as casual as can be and uses it for a blotter. Ya had to be there. I've never forgotten it. Bedazzled is something we all should own.

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
...a quick word on SHOPGIRL starring Claire Danes and Steve Martin...

Yeah, who would have thought about seeing those two kissing on film? I don't think anyone in their right minds. This is the film that Martin wrote the screenplay for, yeah lucky him...he obviously had to star in the film and of course...kiss and do more than that with Claire Danes. Anyway, this film is really good and I love it as much as I hate it...

What do I mean by that? Well, I love the 'feel' of the film and it plays out similarly with the sweeping musical score like another one of my all time favorite films CONTEMPT. I don't know if anyone else will get this reference or not. It's a film that is both sad and happy at times, it's honest in it's portrayal of life, life, and relationships, yet the characters do things that make little sense at times, which is just like life. However, the message that this film sends is both confusing, misguided, and fake, but again this is true of how most people perceive life, love, and relationships. They "love" each other, yet know that their "love" cannot exist because of the circumstances, which begs the question of whether it's love or just lust, maybe just infatuation. Do people throw real love away? Yep all the time, but this film pretends that we can be ok with that scenario and I don't know too many people who are like that. Again, I love the chemistry of the film, but I also have mixed feelings towards it's overall statement on things. I suppose it's in many ways a modern day ANNIE HALL scenario. Still a highly recommended film!

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Veronica Lake
http://www.postlapsaria.com/~pictures/~art/veronicalake.jpg

Barbara Stanwyck
http://pixelcomic.net/files/babs.jpg

Gene Tierney
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/77/039_64686~Gene-Tierney-Posters.jpg

Joan Collins
http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/collins_joan.jpg

Claudia Cardinale
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_32270~Claudia-Cardinale-Posters.jpg

Jayne Mansfield
http://www.case.edu/artsci/womn/pinup/monroe_3/mansfield/mansfield_full/jayne_mansfield_fuzzy_bikini.jpg

Jean Simmons
]http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1332/0956_0066.jpg[IMG]

Jane Russell
[IMG]http://www.mymovies.it/filmclub/attori/5618.jpg

Jeanne Moreau
http://www.harvardfilmarchive.org/calendars/05_fall/images/VivaMaria1965.jpg

Brigitte Bardot
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_25511~Brigitte-Bardot-Posters.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
10-11-2007, 05:04 AM
I don’t know, Rich, maybe it’s easier to inhabit a character (she had film to study, I’m sure) than invent one like Fonda so convincingly did. There was someone on the Oscar nominee list running with Theron who I thought had done as good a job but that serves no purpose cause I don’t remember who is was. I agree that Theron’s performance was worthy...
Regardless...

<TABLE id=article cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Esquire magazine names Charlize Theron its 'Sexiest Woman Alive' for 2007

LOS ANGELES - Charlize Theron has an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild award. Now she's Esquire magazine's "sexiest woman alive."

Past winners of the title include Jessica Biel, Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson. The issue featuring Theron hits newsstands Oct. 16. Theron talked with the magazine about growing up on a farm, her political interests and her work, including her latest movie, "In the Valley of Elah," a murder mystery set among U.S. troops newly returned from Iraq.

"I wanted to make the movie precisely because it evades formulas about guilt," the 32-year-old actress said. "I'm drawn to ambiguity."

Theron also candidly discussed her least favourite film, "Reindeer Games."
"That was a bad, bad, bad movie," she said. "But ... I got to work with John Frankenheimer. I wasn't lying to myself - that's why I did it."

Theron won an Oscar for her role in "Monster." Her screen credits also include "North Country" and "The Cider House Rules."

And how could we forget The Cider House Rules? A very powerful movie in which she REALLY had it going on in my opinion.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Worf101
10-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Regardless...

<TABLE id=article cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Esquire magazine names Charlize Theron its 'Sexiest Woman Alive' for 2007

LOS ANGELES - Charlize Theron has an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild award. Now she's Esquire magazine's "sexiest woman alive."

Past winners of the title include Jessica Biel, Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson. The issue featuring Theron hits newsstands Oct. 16. Theron talked with the magazine about growing up on a farm, her political interests and her work, including her latest movie, "In the Valley of Elah," a murder mystery set among U.S. troops newly returned from Iraq.

"I wanted to make the movie precisely because it evades formulas about guilt," the 32-year-old actress said. "I'm drawn to ambiguity."

Theron also candidly discussed her least favourite film, "Reindeer Games."
"That was a bad, bad, bad movie," she said. "But ... I got to work with John Frankenheimer. I wasn't lying to myself - that's why I did it."

Theron won an Oscar for her role in "Monster." Her screen credits also include "North Country" and "The Cider House Rules."

And how could we forget The Cider House Rules? A very powerful movie in which she REALLY had it going on in my opinion.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Heard that on the radio this morning. I was going to add it to this discussion but ya beated me tood it!!! I don't know about her being all that sexy. I'd rather have Angelina Jolie, sexy, emotionally damaged and freaky deeky to boot. But that's just me.

Da Worfster

jim goulding
10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Shout out to Skies for the best photo of Veronica Lake I've ever seen and the rest altho that's BB's mug for Jeanne Moreau. Speaking of whom, I'm a big fan along with Juliette Binoche. Claudia Cardinale . . one of the sexiest women ever born!. Nicole Kidman is one for our day and what I like about her is that she choses very diverse roles without too much concern for the budget. When I saw Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry, I thought they could retire the Oscars cause she set a new high mark. But not higher than Klute's Fonda in the big picture! Glad she got the credit she deserved. She got spit to play that part, I've read. That was then.

I think Teona Leon was great in Fun With Dick And Jane. Lit it up! Lot of laughs in that flick. Rich, you see Charlize Theron in 2 Days In The Valley? She launched her career with that one and it's easy to see why. Radha Mitchell was introduced in an underground flick I can't recall the name of but I saw it where she played an ambitious jr editor for a trendy NY magazine and then showed up in Pitch Black. Good move.

And as I've said elsewhere, Natasha McElrone, stones me.

PeruvianSkies
10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Shout out to Skies for the best photo of Veronica Lake I've ever seen and the rest altho that's BB's mug for Jeanne Moreau. Speaking of whom, I'm a big fan along with Juliette Binoche. Claudia Cardinale . . one of the sexiest women ever born!. Nicole Kidman is one for our day and what I like about her is that she choses very diverse roles without too much concern for the budget. When I saw Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry, I thought they could retire the Oscars cause she set a new high mark. Glad she got the credit she deserved. She got spit to play that part, I've read. That was then.

I think Teona Leon was great in Fun With Dick And Jane. Lit it up! Lot of laughs in that flick. Rich, you see Charlize Theron in 2 Days In The Valley? She launched her career with that one and it's easy to see why. Radha Mitchell was introduced in an underground flick I can't recall the name of but I saw it where she played an ambitious jr editor for a trendy NY magazine and then showed up in Pitch Black. Good move.

And as I've said elsewhere, Natasha McElrone, stones me.

Yeah, the stupid post didn't work when I tried to load up the picture for Moreau.

PeruvianSkies
10-11-2007, 09:20 PM
This is the picture that was suppose to post for Jeanne Moreau, but below you get two pictures of Brigitte Bardot....not that it's a bad thing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/storyville/images/french_beauty5_gal.jpg

jim goulding
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, myyyy, that is nice! Come back, Rich!

PeruvianSkies
10-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Oh, myyyy, that is nice! Come back, Rich!

Jim,

Have you ever seen the Cranberries music video for their hit song LINGER directed by Melodie Mcdaniel? She also directed Madonna's SECRET music video. I attached the YouTube of the video in case you never saw it before. It's by far one of the best send-up music videos ever produced, especially towards the French New Wave and also demonstrates why The Cranberries were one of the best acts in town. You might notice some immediate references to Jean Luc Godard's ALPHAVILLE, which I also posted some pictures of.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/01KQfcSCRbw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/01KQfcSCRbw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=90512&rendTypeId=4

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0024.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/collin_a_bullock/movies/alphaville7.jpg

Without a doubt one of the greatest Science Fiction works!

PeruvianSkies
10-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Maria Bello...

Did anyone else see/enjoy THE COOLER (2003)??? It was highly overlooked and few people have seen it as it slipped under the radar, even with William H. Macy, Alec Baldwin, and Bello.

http://www.reelingreviews.com/thecoolerpic.jpg

PeruvianSkies
10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Annabella Sciorra

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/cast/actor/annabella_sciorra.jpg

Julia Ormond

http://www.wildhunt.org/julia-ormond.jpg

Sophie Marceau

http://www.adorocinema.com/personalidades/atores/sophie-marceau/sophie-marceau03.jpg

jim goulding
10-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Yep. I saw The Cooler. Bello was seriously good. Critics like her. Maybe that will translate to us seeing more of her. She got some critical recognition in that flick with Viggo M., too. The one where he plays a hitman in hiding.

PeruvianSkies
10-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Yep. I saw The Cooler. Bello was seriously good. Critics like her. Maybe that will translate to us seeing more of her. She got some critical recognition in that flick with Viggo M., too. The one where he plays a hitman in hiding.

That would be Cronenberg's underrated HISTORY OF VIOLENCE. Excellent film.

SlumpBuster
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
That would be Cronenberg's underrated HISTORY OF VIOLENCE. Excellent film.

If you thought History of Violence was underrated (I did too) then you'll be interested to hear these interviews if you haven't already.
http://www.npr.org/search.php?prgId=13&text=cronenberg