interesting question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : interesting question

fudgemik
10-07-2007, 08:00 PM
dvd is 480p, blu ray and hd dvd are 1080p, generally speaking,,,,,my question is what source does comcast use when playing a movie in hd,,for instance i was watching deja vu on comcast the other night and it said 1080i in my tv display and it clearly blew away the dvd i own. what do they use for their source?????i didnt think a movie could look that much better than a new dvd. Are movies nowadays being recorded at a greater resolution and being compressed for dvd............I thought the titles now for blu ray and hd dvd were basically just upscaled for compatibility, hell no, that picture unbelievable..........

pixelthis
10-07-2007, 10:38 PM
dvd is 480p, blu ray and hd dvd are 1080p, generally speaking,,,,,my question is what source does comcast use when playing a movie in hd,,for instance i was watching deja vu on comcast the other night and it said 1080i in my tv display and it clearly blew away the dvd i own. what do they use for their source?????i didnt think a movie could look that much better than a new dvd. Are movies nowadays being recorded at a greater resolution and being compressed for dvd............I thought the titles now for blu ray and hd dvd were basically just upscaled for compatibility, hell no, that picture unbelievable..........

Was it a pay per view movie?. If not then it was whatever the source (HBO, etc)
sent over.
A&E is just about the worst, I CANT FIGURE OUT ANYTHING THEY DO.
Ronin was on and seemed "streached" from a 4;3 print! Looked pretty good tho.
Whar has impressed me is the new TV shows, bionic woman, moonlight, etc, a lot of mundane "tv " LOOKS pretty amazing.
TURN OFF YOUR CABLE BOX and while its off press "menu", a menu will pop up
with various options, one is output resolution.
I set mine to 720p, but for some reason 1080i looks better on my TV. Go figure.
Theres aLso a choice of how to handle standard def material, it can upconvert it to 480p or
send 480i to your set so that it can upconvert it, try both.
I wouldn't mess with the HDMI menu if you are getting a picture, the wrong setting could lose your picture.
ALSO I have noticed that all hd IS dd3/2/1, LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, AND
standard soundtracks are DD 2.0, which sounds really great when played in proII mode.
Just remember that HD is a pioneering effort and there will be missfires.
Northern exporsure, for instance, came on UHD with black bars all the way around it!
NEXT episode was widescreen. And a local station plays stargate episodes in HD, with black bars all the way around it. Fortunatly a push of the "zoom" button fixes this problem, usually:1:

pixelthis
10-07-2007, 10:42 PM
This is what a lot, who don't have decent cable or sat don't understand.
Why go to the video store when your cable looks so good?
So when I say VOD and downloading are going to be primary competitors against any type of HD disc they shake their heads.
But think about it, besides collecting, if you just wanna watch a flick, what would you rather do, rent a disc from the store and have to take it back, or watch something that looks better on Cable?:1: