Anyone ever heard a good mono CD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard a good mono CD?

Mr Peabody
10-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I was posting on another thread as to how unhappy I was with the Ken Burns comp of Basie because it was all mono and as I thought about it, I don't think I have ever heard a mono CD I liked. This could be a clear advantage some vinyl recordings have over CD. Well, let me back track, the Booker T & the MG's, Best of I have is tolerable on CD.

Mono discs to me sound very concentrated in the center, of course, it's mono, let me finish, it's almost like listening through a partially opened door. Some vinyl I've heard has been similar but some vinyl mono, though center focused, has a more full, large, presentation. Mono, yet still life like. The soundtrack to Pennys From Heaven and a Doris Day best of, both mono on vinyl, come to mind as very good.

From my experience with mono recordings, I feel in general that mono does not transfer to disc very well. This actually don't make sense with CD having the higher dynamic range. Maybe it has something to do with phase.

Would you agree, and any guesses as to why, if you agree?

3-LockBox
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
nope.

elapsed
10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
My copy of Beach Boys - Pet Sounds has both the full mono album and stereo album in HDCD, I'll have to give it another listen when I get home. I always skip to the stereo tracks, but I do recall the mono tracks sounding very good