What does it mean when a thread is "closed"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when a thread is "closed"?

Mr Peabody
10-07-2007, 04:37 PM
For some reason Walligator's thread about the Monster component cable has been closed. Can a member close their thread or was this done by a Mod? If it was done by a Mod it doesn't do any good to "close" or "delete" if we don't understand what was done wrong. This looked like any other thread and there are definitely more contraversial thread here still going, so what gives?

Inquiring mind wants to know. Thanks

PeruvianSkies
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
The original poster has the ability to use Admin features like closing their own thread that they started.

markw
10-08-2007, 01:20 AM
The original poster has the ability to use Admin features like closing their own thread that they started.Personally, unless flames start to fly, I think it's sort of selfish.

It squelches any further discussion and denies others from sharing in the flow of information. It's sort of like "I got mine so screw you others who might have benefited from further discussion of my question and the answers freely provided by the members to me, and me alone".

Remember, most everybody lurks before posting and one wonders just how much information they glean just from careful reading.

JohnMichael
10-08-2007, 06:44 AM
I did not close this thread and rarely do close one. I do not think this was a mod closure. If I close a thread it is because ugliness is brewing between members. I would not delete the entire thread because information would be lost. Even heated exchanges are a good source of knowledge.

markw
10-08-2007, 09:26 AM
To which PVS gave a totally appropriate, yet non-accusing, answer.

And, I never meant to imply that it was closed at a moderator's pleasure. I would have hoped my wording and tone would have conveyed that. After all, I'm not known for subtlety.

Take it easy. JM. You're doing a fine job. I can't recall the last time a thread was either closed or deleted, and there have certainly been some doozeys.

Rich-n-Texas
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
To which PVS gave a totally appropriate, yet non-accusing, answer.

And, I never meant to imply that it was closed at a moderator's pleasure. I would have hoped my wording and tone would have conveyed that. After all, I'm not known for subtlety.

Take it easy. JM. You're doing a fine job. I can't recall the last time a thread was either closed or deleted, and there have certainly been some doozeys.
I closed this one:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=22437

Because it started out as a discussion about Audioslave but then turned into a slugfest about Led Zeppelin. :rolleyes: But then, just to be a pr!ck, I opened it again just to show I could close it, again. :ihih:

PeruvianSkies
10-09-2007, 12:48 PM
If I close a thread it is because ugliness is brewing between members..

Like when does THAT ever happen? lol.