Cambridge 540 vs. 640 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge 540 vs. 640

dyeraudio
10-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Looking to purchase a new Cambridge Audio Int. amp. Which one is better ...the 540 or the 640 ? Both are from their Azur line. Are their any audible differences?

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I have heard both and the 640 is a bit better for sure.Make sure you get version 2.Both amps are good value for the money.

bill

dyeraudio
10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
OK....what makes the 640 better? Is it an audible difference or is it the polypropylene bypass capacitators? I am getting the 640C V2 cd player and can't decide on an amp. My system is in my bedroom so I don't need the power of a 640. Trying to sell my Carver gear to do this.....thanks !!

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 09:03 PM
In addition to the extra power it also has improved ciruitry in the pre amp and power amp sections. It has a better sound in a similar way that the 640c is better than the 540c.

bill

dyeraudio
10-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm also selling my Kimber Kable PBJ's to get new interconnects....Which do you use with the Cambridge ??? Silver or copper....Which brand ???? I'm thinking abot KK Hero or PS Audio.....

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I currently use Straight Wire cables to connect my Anthem to my 540r, which i use as a power amp only. I would stay away from silver cables, my speakers tend to be a little on the bright side and silver makes that worse. I have heard good things about the PBJ, do you not like them?

bill

dyeraudio
10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Well Bill.....This Carver setup is really the first "higher end" system I've ever had. I know that Carver is kind of a "has been" in the audio industry but I have always heard good things.....Anyway, I'm in a "rebuilding" state and want newer components....Kind of a less is more thing....Strictly a CD player and Int. amp....no fancy pre-amps...blah blah blah....I just want to hear good music. I got the PBJ's for $90 a set and I really don't have anything to compare them to. My friend has some PS Audio Resolutions with RCA's linked to Linn Kabers and they sound absolutely amazing. Probably has alot to do with the Linn's......anyway I only need .5m cables and can afford silver if need be...I have always heard that they tend to make things "bright". How does your 540 sound with your cables....I thought you had a 640 ???? I will probably go with the 540. Can you reccomend a good retailer. I thought about Audio Advisor...I got some Vibra-Cones from them and they seem very respectable...Free shipping too and thats says alot since components cost a bit to ship........thanks Bill !!!

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi

Sorry i did not mean to mislead you, i own a 540r surround reciever that i use as a power amp.I have owned neither 540a or 640a but i have heard each a lot.It works very well with the Straight Wire, they are a little on the warm side so they strike a nice balance with my JM Labs speakers.As for retailers,it sounds as if you are looking for an online retailer, if so sorry i can't help there, i have always prefered to buy local.
Btw how will you like going from a tude cd player to solid state?

bill

dyeraudio
10-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Not sure really....I have auditioned a Rega Apollo..(wish I had $1000 to spend on a player) and it sounded GREAT !!! I think that with todays technology a new solid state could compare with an older tube (maybe). I have no complaints about the Carver 490t. The tubes were the factory 6DJ8's.....I never used Sovteks or anything else.....I'm anxious to get brand new equipment with new cables....Although I'm finding out that the Cambridge takes about 36 hours to "break in" so to speak....Do you leave your amp on all the time? I was told that this is better for it ??? Then on to speakers....a whole new monster...Maybe passive Linn Kabers ?????

musicman1999
10-07-2007, 06:41 AM
I left it on for the first week but after that no.It seems to run rather hot.I do leave my disc player on all the time however.

bill

BFS
10-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Cambridge 640 V2 CD player is a significent upgrade from the Marantz 67 SE? I've had the Marantz 76 SE for several years and am happy with the sound but am thinking of an upgrade if the Cambridge is significently better...any ideas? Is worth the change?