How bad is it to use different brands for fronts and center? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it to use different brands for fronts and center?

codecougar
10-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I have decided to cheap out for the time being and put together a relatively low priced speaker set up until I can save some cash and plan this out better.

I have a pair of Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers that I am going to use as the fronts and just picked up a scratch and dent Polk sub and center channel for really cheap. I am using some older Realistic speakers for the surrounds that actually sound pretty good.

Anyway, I know the non matching sub will not be that big of a deal, but I always hear people saying to get matched fronts and center. Would using the Polk CS1 center channel:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-knCSj15JxIp/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=107CS1C

be a really bad idea with the Infinity Primus 150 fronts? I realize it is not ideal, but are we talking end of the world/ zombie apocalypse mistake here? :)

GMichael
10-06-2007, 09:14 AM
The world will not end. This is not that bad of a match. But of coarse, you'd do better to completely match.
In the mean time, this gives you a chance to shop around for what your next upgrade will be. Now you can save up and pick out something special.

codecougar
10-06-2007, 12:57 PM
The world will not end. This is not that bad of a match. But of coarse, you'd do better to completely match.
In the mean time, this gives you a chance to shop around for what your next upgrade will be. Now you can save up and pick out something special.

when you say "completely match", does this mean just getting any Infinity center channel or actually getting an Infinity center channel that is specifically designed to go with these speakers? That may be hard to find because the Primus 150's are no lnger made.

gruss72
10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Youll be fine, I ran a Polk CC with some JBL's for a while years ago with good results. Shop around and find what you want.
Another option of coaurse, unless you have a few "off center" listening positions or those Infinity's just don't image well, save the $ and buy a matched set when you can and dont run a center channel at all. This is also something I've tried and actually have been without a CC for about 3 years now ;)

GMichael
10-06-2007, 01:46 PM
when you say "completely match", does this mean just getting any Infinity center channel or actually getting an Infinity center channel that is specifically designed to go with these speakers? That may be hard to find because the Primus 150's are no lnger made.

It's still available here: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Center-Channel-Speaker-PRIMUSC25BK/dp/B0000AKMNE

But the Polk you picked out will not be bad either.

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Will the world end, no.Will it be ideal, again no. For the best sound your center should be from the same series and brand. You will notice this most on side to side front pans when the sound passes through all three front speakers, it will change as it passes through the center speaker.

bill

Mr Peabody
10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
It probably also depends on how critical a listener you are. Some people may have that set up and never care. It would not be tolerable to me and I would probably opt for the "phantom center", no center speaker, until I could afford one that matches.

I had center and mains of the same brand but different series, I thought it sounded pretty good and it didn't stick out like a sore thumb but when I replaced it with the matching series, the improvement was very noticeable. Think of it like this, would you use unmatched speakers for stereo listening? Pretty much the same idea for HT. You'll notice the most difference when sound effects go from side to side, or times when the same sound, like rain, may come from all 5 speakers.

I personally don't find Infinity and Polk simular in sound.

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Mr P

I was n the same boat, when i was upgrading my Labs from Chorus to Cobalt i did it a pair at a time to spread the cost out and when i was using Cobalt fronts and Chorus center, the more i listened the less right the sound was.I bought the Cobalt center and all was right with the world. Audio wise that is.

bill

Mr Peabody
10-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Bill, what's going on with the amp upgrade? You should try that Linn. There was a good song on while the credits of a movie was rolling and I was in a mood, so I cranked it to see what the amp would do, I was impressed. For the power rating of 125 watts and pushing Dynaudio Contours, the volume was very loud and remained clean. There was still room to go up but it was as loud as I wanted to go and I didn't want to cross the line to abusive.

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Mr P

I am on hold for that right now, i may be making a job change and i want to see how that shakes out first before i go ahead.Soon though. However, i almost bought a HD-DVD player yesterday, a local store had the HD-A2 i believe its called for $199.00 including 3 movies, i had no plan to buy one but $199.However when i got there i missed the last one by a half hour.

bill

Mr Peabody
10-06-2007, 08:21 PM
That would have been a tempting deal. Keep your eyes open, I don't think that will be the last good buy on those you will see as Christmas draws near.

musicman1999
10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
They also had the LG dual player for $719.00. I think $199 can be an impulse buy but $719
is not.

bill

drseid
10-07-2007, 02:29 AM
It probably also depends on how critical a listener you are. Some people may have that set up and never care. It would not be tolerable to me and I would probably opt for the "phantom center", no center speaker, until I could afford one that matches.

I personally don't find Infinity and Polk simular in sound.

This is pretty much what I was about to write... IMO this would not be a good idea unless you are just using your system for casual listening or are so far off center when sitting that a "phantom center" would not work well.

Bottom line is that it really *is* important to properly match the center channel to your mains -- not a place to "cheap out" in my book if you can help it.

---Dave

kexodusc
10-07-2007, 03:48 AM
I've had mixed results mixing and matching centers to front mains.
Short story - if the center is of higher quality than the mains, it's usually pretty easy to integrate - the only question is the presentation or voicing, how well does it mix? If it's really bright and the speakers are very warm, it's probably not going to blend well. If they're close at all though, you can get away with it and have things sounding pretty good.

If the center is worse, I find it sounds terrible.

IMO, the better your speakers are the, less desirable the phantom center option becomes for home theater use, unless you're the only one watching it and you're always in the sweet spot. 3 discrete channels does so much for the soundstage and imaging that when I compare it to 2 channels it's just too noticeable a step backwards. I find with speakers that don't image well to begin with, you don't miss it as much.

This is all personal preference though, everyone here probably appreciates different aspects of the sound. If you're plan is to build a better system over time, I'd probably agree with the phantom center approach, just because you waste less money and should be able to get your desired system sooner. Patience is a virtue when building a system.

Feanor
10-07-2007, 05:12 AM
I've had mixed results mixing and matching centers to front mains.
Short story - if the center is of higher quality than the mains, it's usually pretty easy to integrate - the only question is the presentation or voicing, how well does it mix? If it's really bright and the speakers are very warm, it's probably not going to blend well. If they're close at all though, you can get away with it and have things sounding pretty good.

If the center is worse, I find it sounds terrible.

I agree on this point totally. My situation is like that with my DIY BGC/Vifa center and Paradigm MiniMonitor sides: quite livable. What is unfortunate is that there is a seemingly natural tendency for people to buy much better sides. This might work if you listen mainly to stereo music, but otherwise not.

codecougar
10-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Mr P

I am on hold for that right now, i may be making a job change and i want to see how that shakes out first before i go ahead.Soon though. However, i almost bought a HD-DVD player yesterday, a local store had the HD-A2 i believe its called for $199.00 including 3 movies, i had no plan to buy one but $199.However when i got there i missed the last one by a half hour.

bill

Thanks to everyone for the great info. I decided to return the Polk center channel because I hooked it up and found that it sounds to trebly for my tastes versus the Infinity. I ended up getting another Infinity Primus 150 of ebay and will use 3 Primus 150's for my fronts and center.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the HD-DVD player. I would recommend Blu-ray. I did a ton of research prior to choosing Blu-ray and I feel that the evidence is overwhelming that Blu-ray will be win this format war in the not too distant future. I have seen Sony Blu-ray players for as low as $418 new (Amazon $418.54 for the Sony BDP-S300 with free S&H) and they have a deal now where you can get 5 free Blu-ray movies with a player purchase:

http://www.bluraysavings.com/

I agree that $199 is hard to pass up, but it might be better in the long run to save up and get the Blu-ray. Plus you can now rent Blu-rays at Blockbuster which is very cool.

GMichael
10-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for the great info. I decided to return the Polk center channel because I hooked it up and found that it sounds to trebly for my tastes versus the Infinity. I ended up getting another Infinity Primus 150 of ebay and will use 3 Primus 150's for my fronts and center.

This should work out very well for you. Were you able to get just one 150 or did you have to get a pair?

codecougar
10-07-2007, 06:26 AM
This should work out very well for you. Were you able to get just one 150 or did you have to get a pair?

I had to get a pair, but they are new in box and I got both for $135 plus $35 shipping. So $175 for the pair shipped, but new and unopened.

So, yeah, given what everyone here is saying, I think that will be a good set up for the time being. Maybe in a year I will re-do the entire audio set up with some high end speakers. Need to pay some bills first :)

musicman1999
10-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Codecougar

I happen to agree about bluray, the HD-DVD was a total impulse, there is for sure a Bluray player in my near future as well, this would have given me coverage for both as i think the format war will last a little longer than we thought.

bill

GMichael
10-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Codecougar

I happen to agree about bluray, the HD-DVD was a total impulse, there is for sure a Bluray player in my near future as well, this would have given me coverage for both as i think the format war will last a little longer than we thought.

bill

I'm thinking that a PS3 will fill my Blu-ray needs for now. A stand alone HD-DVD player may be in my future as well.

GMichael
10-07-2007, 06:59 AM
I had to get a pair, but they are new in box and I got both for $135 plus $35 shipping. So $175 for the pair shipped, but new and unopened.

So, yeah, given what everyone here is saying, I think that will be a good set up for the time being. Maybe in a year I will re-do the entire audio set up with some high end speakers. Need to pay some bills first :)

I've heard of people using two centers. One above your display and another below. They say that it "centers" your center. But I don't remember if they were hooking them up in series or parrallel. My guess would be series.

L.J.
10-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm thinking that a PS3 will fill my Blu-ray needs for now. A stand alone HD-DVD player may be in my future as well.

From the reviews that I've read, the PS3 is considered a very capable BR player. Rumor is that eventually it will be able to handle DTS-MA via firmware upgrade. If we never see this, I can live with the "core" 1.5 mbps track. It's all good since MC PCM seems to be the popular choice right now. The PS3 should cover all your BR needs for a long time. Only thing that would be sweet is if it had analog outs.

codecougar
10-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I personally hope that HD DVD dies a speedy death. This whole format war sucks for the consumer. There are some great Blu-rays that have come out recently, but there will continue to be exclusive HD-DVD titles such as Transformers (damn you Paramount) that I will have to miss out on until HD-DVD dies. I just can't justify spending the $$ on a stand alone HD-DVD player knowing that the end is so close (hopefully) !! :)

hifitommy
10-07-2007, 09:49 AM
on the left and right, the sound will be acceptable. when you use the pink noise going from channel to channel the sound will reveal itself.

having all those p150s will be good when you decide to get the infinity center. a 150 in each corner will work nicely.

i think you made a good choice.

Mr Peabody
10-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Is your receiver 7.1? You could go out of the center pre outs and go back into the 2 channels of amplification that isn't being used. Then you wouldn't have to wire the pair of speakers together. You'd hook one center to each channel but they'd be receiving the same signal, this will require a couple Y adaptors. Some people buy a power amp for the center when using 2 speakers but that's more money and you run the risk of there being some sonic difference which would defeat the purpose of you buying Primus in the first place.

If it means anything I think you made a wise move. BTW, nothing says you have to use both for center. One would work if you run into logistics trouble.

codecougar
10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
My receiver only does 5.1.

I am fine with only one center channel. I really don't have room for another one anyway.

I also really like Infinity speakers. I know they are somewhat low end for this forum, but they have always sounded warm and well balanced to my ears. I thought the Polks would be similar, but the 2 or 3 sets of Polks I have listened to just sounded thin. I prefer the Infinitys.

Now of course, I just have to hope that this ebayer is on the up and up and that the speakers arrive unharmed.

hifitommy
10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
in the left and right front positions and take one of the existing 150s and put it for the center. that way, any wear on the new ones would be equal.

i really like my 150s and use a hsu sub with them to great advantage. lively and dynamic, and will play pretty loud when called upon to do so.

my system can be viewed at audioasylum.com in member systems.

codecougar
10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
in the left and right front positions and take one of the existing 150s and put it for the center. that way, any wear on the new ones would be equal.

i really like my 150s and use a hsu sub with them to great advantage. lively and dynamic, and will play pretty loud when called upon to do so.

my system can be viewed at audioasylum.com in member systems.

good point.

I found you at audioasylum.com and checked out your gear. Cool. You should post some pics of your set up.

drseid
10-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I personally hope that HD DVD dies a speedy death. This whole format war sucks for the consumer. There are some great Blu-rays that have come out recently, but there will continue to be exclusive HD-DVD titles such as Transformers (damn you Paramount) that I will have to miss out on until HD-DVD dies. I just can't justify spending the $$ on a stand alone HD-DVD player knowing that the end is so close (hopefully) !! :)

Good decision on your center channel choice...

Now as to the Blu-ray...? ;-)

Seriously though, I don't think you will regret your purchase there either. I don't see BR going away any time soon, if at all. I think you may have a *very* long wait though if you are planning on HD DVD's sudden demise. :-)

Enjoy,

---Dave

musicman1999
10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
From the reviews that I've read, the PS3 is considered a very capable BR player. Rumor is that eventually it will be able to handle DTS-MA via firmware upgrade. If we never see this, I can live with the "core" 1.5 mbps track. It's all good since MC PCM seems to be the popular choice right now. The PS3 should cover all your BR needs for a long time. Only thing that would be sweet is if it had analog outs.

L.J.
Just curious, why would you listen to the core dts track when the pcm track is available to the hdmi output,does your reciever not take hdmi audio?

bill

L.J.
10-07-2007, 01:18 PM
L.J.
Just curious, why would you listen to the core dts track when the pcm track is available to the hdmi output,does your reciever not take hdmi audio?

bill

My point was that currently the PS3 does not support full decoding of DTSMA. And if it never does, than the "core" 1.5 track is the best your gonna get out of BR titles that only offer a DTSMA track. I can live with that. Fox seems to be the only studio favoring DTSMA right now. I always go with the MC PCM track if it's available.

codecougar
10-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Good decision on your center channel choice...

Now as to the Blu-ray...? ;-)

Seriously though, I don't think you will regret your purchase there either. I don't see BR going away any time soon, if at all. I think you may have a *very* long wait though if you are planning on HD DVD's sudden demise. :-)

Enjoy,

---Dave

DIE HD DVD, DIE !!!

MUH HUH HUH HUH............. :)

pixelthis
10-07-2007, 11:38 PM
DIE HD DVD, DIE !!!

MUH HUH HUH HUH............. :)

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
HD DVD has one foot in the grave and another on the banana peel.
The diector of transformers was so incensed over paramount going with what many in the industry already see as a "dead" format that he threatened to renig on transformers II.
a FEW HOURS IN A ROOM WITH RUBBER HOSES "CORRECTED " HIM THO.

As for those "realistic" speakers the first set of speakers I had was a pair of optimus by realistic,
they didn't sound so bad, all I could afford anyway:1:

GMichael
10-08-2007, 05:06 AM
I also really like Infinity speakers. I know they are somewhat low end for this forum, but they have always sounded warm and well balanced to my ears. .

I like my Infinity's too. Using 4 of the 150's as surrounds and rears as well as a C25 for the center. Very nice speakers IMO.

codecougar
10-08-2007, 06:32 AM
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
HD DVD has one foot in the grave and another on the banana peel.
The diector of transformers was so incensed over paramount going with what many in the industry already see as a "dead" format that he threatened to renig on transformers II.
a FEW HOURS IN A ROOM WITH RUBBER HOSES "CORRECTED " HIM THO.

As for those "realistic" speakers the first set of speakers I had was a pair of optimus by realistic,
they didn't sound so bad, all I could afford anyway:1:

Were they the Optimus Prime speakers??