Dual CD Cases: Damn them! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dual CD Cases: Damn them!

PeruvianSkies
10-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, not sure if I am the ONLY person to have this issue, but nearly EVERY CD that I own that is inside a dual CD case arrives either cracked, jacked up, or dysfunctional or over time becomes that way. I am afraid to open the things up half the time for fear that the CD is going to get scratched, either the top one or the bottom one located on the reverse side, then the plastic tray has to swing open in order to access it. Those plastic joints just don't seem to last very long at all, most of the time they break and then your screwed. So ......

Does anyone know of a solution? Do they make better quality ones? Most of my regular single-disc CD's I have upgraded to the pop-up jewel cases, which were at one time more popular and I think Mofi used them a for a bit of time.

MindGoneHaywire
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I would take the discs out & put them in other cases, probably slimlines, if I was having that problem to the extent you are.

I dislike digipaks far more because, unlike most jewel cases, doubles and otherwise, once any part of the hard plastic breaks, that's it. If any of the teeth break off, the disc will rattle around & get scratched anyway.

PeruvianSkies
10-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I would take the discs out & put them in other cases, probably slimlines, if I was having that problem to the extent you are.

I dislike digipaks far more because, unlike most jewel cases, doubles and otherwise, once any part of the hard plastic breaks, that's it. If any of the teeth break off, the disc will rattle around & get scratched anyway.

Yeah, that's the solution that I have found works, but I was hoping to keep the discs with the booklet and was thinking there might be better cases out there to serve this purpose.

elapsed
10-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Just received an order today from Amazon.ca, Alison Krauss and Union Station Live (2 discs) - new. Sure enough, CD case is cracked. ;)

PeruvianSkies
10-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Just received an order today from Amazon.ca, Alison Krauss and Union Station Live (2 discs) - new. Sure enough, CD case is cracked. ;)

Why am I not surprised. lol. I liked it better when they would put the 2 disc sets into the double-wide CD-cases instead of trying to take the same CD case and insert a gate inside with the ability to hold 2 CD's. While this might save on space, the cases are less durable, always crack, and tend to scratch the discs.

MindGoneHaywire
10-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I haven't ever had the problems with the single-width, double-capacity jewel cases that you have. There are different types, and the ones where you have to pry the tray out can be more problematic, particularly the ones where the front part of the jewel case has a rectangular cut at the top & bottom; they're less common, and as such more difficult to replace a single part on. Then there are the ones where, if you remove a rear insert, getting it back in is extremely difficult. I've purchased lots of replacement double-CD jewels at Staples (though not in quite some time, as I've put an awful lot of discs in book storage at this point, and even those have become kinda pointless to keep out if they're in my iTunes), and, while the last type that they had when I was still purchasing was not as good as the style they'd had previously, going back 6-7 years now, they're still a little easier to deal with as replacements & seem fairly durable.

That you actually can replace them is why I prefer that to the digipaks, art or no art. Too many of those I'd have to purchase a whole new CD to replace properly if they get too damaged from rattling around.

3-LockBox
10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
You could buy replacement cases for cheap

Yeah, I know it sucks, but what are going to do? The old style double CD case sucked giant hippo balls. I actually bought a 20-pack of single sized double-disc packs and replaced all of my clunky old style double-CD cases.

I think the mail system sees a bubble pack and thinks they're safe to throw around, and some distributors have become too lax on packaging, as far as breakage goes. There's too many hands in the chain before it gets to you, and they don't give a sh!t.
I recieved a Spock's Beard CD in the mail and while the outside was scuffed a bit, the CD on the inside was shattered...I never figured that one out. Hell, I've had so many CDs stolen en route, I wished some mailers and distributors would make them less conspicuous.