Are bookshelf speakers a bad idea for fronts ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are bookshelf speakers a bad idea for fronts ?

codecougar
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
OK, without rehashing my entire saga, I need to replace my front speakers (one died), but am very limited in what I can use due to the fact that my entire wall is a built in entertainment center with speaker enclosures that are only 34" high.

I was using 17 year old Infinity SM 120's with big 12" woofers and NO subwoofer. To be honest, they provided a decent amount of bass so I was happy. I also have an Infinity center channel and some Realistic surrounds that are like 8" tall. All this stuff came with the house that I bought from my uncle.

The problem is that I cannot find any new speakers that are 34" or shorter in height.

Say if I went with a pair of bookshelfs like the Infinity Beta 20's:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6NGsutWNb7A/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=37900&i=108BT20B&tp=186

and threw in a subwoofer like the Infinity PS210:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6NGsutWNb7A/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=12300&i=108PS210&tp=187

My room is 16' X 12' and I would be sitting approximately 16' from the front speakers. I am using a fairly low end, but new receiver, a Sony STR-DG510:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-STR-DG510-5-1-Channel-Receiver-STR-DG510/sem/rpsm/oid/176878/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I mainly use this set up for watching Blu-ray movies on my 42" HD LCD, but also listen to CD's and satellite music here and there.

I am obviously wading at the low end of the pool here. I am not looking to spend a ton of cash and am not audio crazy (yet). I just want something to compliment my Blu-ray movies and provide a decent audio experience. Would this set up be comprable to what I was using? Any other suggestions? This set up would run me right under $700 for the sub and 2 fronts. I can always upgrade the surrounds and center down the road (but I already have an Infinity center that is working fine for the time being).

Sorry for the long post. Thanks guys !!

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Nothing wrong with bookshelf speakers. In fact, below about $3000 or so, bookshelf speakers are my favorite models in just about every product line for a number of reasons. Size really has very little to do with speaker quality, though it does have some impact on performance. In some ways a smaller profile improves sound quality. There's less "cool factor", but IMO usually more substance at a given price point. And I think more value the way most companies price their products, but that's another subject.
You should consider some quality stands. You'll have to rest bookshelf speakers on something, hopefully not an actual bookshelf. When that cost is considered some people elect to go with the larger towers. You can find quality stands for reasonable money.
I'd try some speakers out, let your ears be the judge. Small speakers can play pretty darn loud.

codecougar
10-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Nothing wrong with bookshelf speakers. In fact, below about $3000 or so, bookshelf speakers are my favorite models in just about every product line for a number of reasons. Size really has very little to do with speaker quality, though it does have some impact on performance. In some ways a smaller profile improves sound quality. There's less "cool factor", but IMO usually more substance at a given price point. And I think more value the way most companies price their products, but that's another subject.
You should consider some quality stands. You'll have to rest bookshelf speakers on something, hopefully not an actual bookshelf. When that cost is considered some people elect to go with the larger towers. You can find quality stands for reasonable money.
I'd try some speakers out, let your ears be the judge. Small speakers can play pretty darn loud.

good info, thank you.

the speakers will be completely hidden. they will be pretty much in the wall which has large speaker grills built onto it (looks better than it sounds). the only reason I would need stands is to lift them up a bit, but I was just going to use plywood or something because they will only need to be lifted about a foot or 2 off the ground. Unfortunately, they will be a bit lower than preferable, but I can only do so much with what I am working with.

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 04:35 AM
good info, thank you.

the speakers will be completely hidden. they will be pretty much in the wall which has large speaker grills built onto it (looks better than it sounds). the only reason I would need stands is to lift them up a bit, but I was just going to use plywood or something because they will only need to be lifted about a foot or 2 off the ground. Unfortunately, they will be a bit lower than preferable, but I can only do so much with what I am working with.

Cinder blocks, or anything heavy/dense works well too. Just try and get the tweeter to be at or near ear-level for best results.

Not sure how the built in thing is going to work out. typically speakers work best a few feet out from the walls - you might want to consider "in wall" speakers that are designed to sound best close to a wall.
Good luck.

jim goulding
10-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Visit Danny at GR Research if you don't mind doing some assembly. See how much before you dismiss this idea. Your money will go further doing this and he does make a fine speaker. Tell him I sent you. He's a fellow Texan. Cheers.

Feanor
10-05-2007, 05:41 AM
good info, thank you.

Speakers meant to used free standing out in the room might suffer from a certain amount of unwanted bass-boost when placed in or flush with the wall.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Some of these might be nice. http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html

I've never heard them, but they sure look good on paper.

gruss72
10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm really biased, I love the way old epi's sound, so I'll throw a couple options out there that should sound great in my opinion. Little off the beaten path, but should serve you well.
http://www.tributeaudio.com/ultimate100.htm
http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/81text.htm

I've dealt with both places, you might wait a while from Human (Huw) but the speakers are great, I got a pair of one of his discontinued models. He's a cool guy to chat with too.

Bill from tribute is top notch, if he still has em you'll get them quick and be well informed every step of the way.

If your anywhere near toledo I'd give ya listen.

drseid
10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Visit Danny at GR Research if you don't mind doing some assembly. See how much before you dismiss this idea. Your money will go further doing this and he does make a fine speaker. Tell him I sent you. He's a fellow Texan. Cheers.

Danny is indeed a genius. Another option is to look at his X-Series mini-monitor and sub line at av123.com.

They are inexpensive, and incredibly good.

---Dave