Need help with Blu Ray Settings on PS3??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Blu Ray Settings on PS3???

wmflyfisher
10-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, I just got a PS3 yesterday with the Blu Ray player and I'm having trouble with the settings for my plasma. Its a 42" Panasonic 720p plasma if that matters. I played a blu ray disc last night and the pic looks sort of grainy. What do the settings on my PS3 need to be for the correct picture? I have an HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and an optical cable from the PS3 to my receiver. Any help would be great!

Wireworm5
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm not familiar with Blu-ray but I have an upscaler. It is possible that with this size of tv the picture will look grainy. My experience with movies upscaled is that the picture quality is entirely dependant on the film quality on the disc.
On the otherhand I suspect that your Blu-ray dvd setting aren't set correctly. You should be able to change the settings in the dvd player menu to upscale to 720p. It is probably set to interlace mode rather than progressive as I notice graininess in interlace on my tv as well with some movies.
Hope this helps with your problem.

wmflyfisher
10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Wire. I played with the settings on the PS3 for a good while today and got it looking a lot better but really not as good as I expected for the Blu Ray. I'll probably just sell the PS3 and keep my upscaler for now. I got a good deal on it anyways. My upscaler looks just as good as the Blu Ray disc.

L.J.
10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Wire. I played with the settings on the PS3 for a good while today and got it looking a lot better but really not as good as I expected for the Blu Ray. I'll probably just sell the PS3 and keep my upscaler for now. I got a good deal on it anyways. My upscaler looks just as good as the Blu Ray disc.

Curious about what BR movie(s) you were viewing. Also, when connected via HDMI to your display, the PS3 has a "auto detect" feature which should set it to the proper resolution.

If you go into the BD/DVD & Display setting menus, you will find a good handful of adjustments and tweaks that can be made. You should read up on each setting and make sure they are properly set.

Also, I'm sure the size of your display and viewing distance comes into play here also. SD on my 32" in my bedroom looks waaaaay better than on my 60" up front.

Lastly, if you haven't done so, take a look at Disney's Pirates OTC BR. Top notch video & audio quality.

wmflyfisher
10-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Curious about what BR movie(s) you were viewing. Also, when connected via HDMI to your display, the PS3 has a "auto detect" feature which should set it to the proper resolution.

If you go into the BD/DVD & Display setting menus, you will find a good handful of adjustments and tweaks that can be made. You should read up on each setting and make sure they are properly set.

Also, I'm sure the size of your display and viewing distance comes into play here also. SD on my 32" in my bedroom looks waaaaay better than on my 60" up front.

Lastly, if you haven't done so, take a look at Disney's Pirates OTC BR. Top notch video & audio quality.

Thanks L.J. I spent a good amount of time changing and learning about the BD/DVD settings on the unit today. I was watching the movie Fantastic Four, Return of the Silver Surfer. I mean I got the picture looking pretty good but it was nothing better than my upconversion player. I still might get rid of it. I'm thinking about an HD DVD player with the upconversion. Know anything about pic quality with these? I should be able to make some xtra money from the deal I got on the PS3.

L.J.
10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks L.J. I spent a good amount of time changing and learning about the BD/DVD settings on the unit today. I was watching the movie Fantastic Four, Return of the Silver Surfer. I mean I got the picture looking pretty good but it was nothing better than my upconversion player. I still might get rid of it. I'm thinking about an HD DVD player with the upconversion. Know anything about pic quality with these? I should be able to make some xtra money from the deal I got on the PS3.

Sorry to hear that. I guess for some the jump from a good quality DVD to HD is not as "night and day" as going from say VHS to DVD. My brother has a PS3 (mostly for gaming), and made comments similar to yours.

BR on my 60" looks freakin' sweet but I'm also in it for the improvement in SQ as well. And trust me, I am no videophile, a good picture whether DVD or BR is fine with me. Since I game as much as I watch movies, the PS3 was a no brainer.

I've read nothing but good things about the scaling abilities of the Toshiba's. I had considered getting one since I heard they upscale so well (prices are also pretty sweet), but still on the fence due to all the issues associated with the players. There are a few BR players out there that do an excellent job at scaling as well. Do a search on Sound & Vision to find reviews.