Home-Brew Super Sub Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home-Brew Super Sub Question

hydroman
10-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Okay, i have the Dayton Titanic MKIII (15"er) on order.
I have the sealed box built.
I have some pink insulation
I have the speaker connections a/wire/solder.

First Question:Which direction should the speaker be facing for best sound/impact? Top? Bottom? Side?

I am planning on front-firing - but would like to hear from this distinguished forum for a quorum...

Second Question - is there a dark cherry veneer that i can glue on that would look decent? Good places to buy? I.e. Home Depot? Other ideas to cover the particle board? 'Faux granite countertop'? :ihih:

GMichael
10-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Get ready to rumble!

You're going to love how this sub sounds.
I believe that this driver is meant for front firing. That's how their kits are designed. I could be wrong though. Kex and/or Feanor may be along soon to give a more definitive answer.

As for the veneer. Yes, Home Depot and Lowes are a good place to start. Parts Express has some nice stuff too. Did you check theirs out?

I do like your choice of dark cherry.

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Okay, i have the Dayton Titanic MKIII (15"er) on order.
I have the sealed box built.
I have some pink insulation
I have the speaker connections a/wire/solder.

First Question:Which direction should the speaker be facing for best sound/impact? Top? Bottom? Side?

I am planning on front-firing - but would like to hear from this distinguished forum for a quorum...

Second Question - is there a dark cherry veneer that i can glue on that would look decent? Good places to buy? I.e. Home Depot? Other ideas to cover the particle board? 'Faux granite countertop'? :ihih:
The titanic isn't made for down/top firing, you could get some sag over time, I'd just go front.

As for veneer - http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/
I've had great success here.
You'll have to sand the snot out of the cabinet though...

GMichael
10-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Nice link Kex.
There are so many choices, it would be hard to pick a favorite.

hydroman
10-04-2007, 06:26 AM
AAhh! I KNEW i was asking the right people!

Thanks!