ASAP help for small restaurant speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ASAP help for small restaurant speakers

HAD
10-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Setting up a small restaurant, will be playing background lounge music, very lightly. Want to set up 4 speakers.

Can anyone recommend which speakers will be good enough? Don't want to spend more than about $600 for the 4 speakers. Want them small as well. And hopefully starting from 80Hz to about 18k. (Most of the small speakers look like they start from about 150Hz.)

Is it a bad to look at speakers such as the Bose 161s?

I don't know what amp I'll be getting, but just to be on the safe side I suppose I should get speakers that have both 4 and 8 ohms.

GMichael
10-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Setting up a small restaurant, will be playing background lounge music, very lightly. Want to set up 4 speakers.

Can anyone recommend which speakers will be good enough? Don't want to spend more than about $600 for the 4 speakers. Want them small as well. And hopefully starting from 80Hz to about 18k. (Most of the small speakers look like they start from about 150Hz.)

Is it a bad to look at speakers such as the Bose 161s?

I don't know what amp I'll be getting, but just to be on the safe side I suppose I should get speakers that have both 4 and 8 ohms.

Hi, welcome to AR.

There are plenty of speakers out there that would fit your needs. The Infinity Primus 150's are nice. Also the JBL E20's are a good for their price.

These http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1 would be my first choice though. They are running a sale right now.

HAD
10-03-2007, 12:44 PM
GMichael thanks for the quick response.

If I can find it in a store in my city I'd like to check out those x-ls speakers, they look nice. 55-20,000Hz also looks really good. ALTHOUGH the weight is what scares me. I'm gonna be taking these back to Europe with me.

Any feedback on these Athena WS-15? I see them at a store near by. Although they start at 100Hz, I like the fact that they are so light, have the wall mounting thingy included and are so small.

GMichael
10-03-2007, 12:52 PM
GMichael thanks for the quick response.

If I can find it in a store in my city I'd like to check out those x-ls speakers, they look nice. 55-20,000Hz also looks really good.

Any feedback on these Athena WS-15? I see them at a store near by.

I haven't heard the Athena's. Others here may have though.
AV123 doesn't have distributors. They sell on-line only. But they do have a 30 return policy if you find that you don't like them for any reason. These are even better if you can go over your budget. http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=2.1

Also, like I said, they are having a mad @$$ sale right now. You may get a great deal on 4.

dingus
10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
you know, if a Bose 301 (series I thru III) isnt to large for your needs, i think they do very well in this kind of environment. they are normally readily available on the used market and can be had for quite a bit less than the new versions, plus the old ones are quite a bit better.

you can drive them with anything and they are not too finicky when it comes to placement. they are one of only 3 Bose models i would own (the others are the 601 I thru III and the 901 I thru III).

HAD
10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
the x-ls looks good and the frequency response is great, but the weight is what scares me. I have to take these back with me from Canada to Europe.

HAD
10-03-2007, 01:14 PM
you know, if a Bose 301 (series I thru III) isnt to large for your needs, i think they do very well in this kind of environment. they are normally readily available on the used market and can be had for quite a bit less than the new versions, plus the old ones are quite a bit better.

Ya, I was looking into these, but they are a little too big. About 14 inches according to the specs I see online.

Unfortunately I don't see any reviews on the Athenas. The size look so perfect, and only weighing 1.3kg each. Gonna go check these out in a store.

dingus
10-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately I don't see any reviews on the Athenas. The size look so perfect, and only weighing 1.3kg each. Gonna go check these out in a store.
there is no substitute for hearing for your self. just keep in mind your intended use, i doubt they'll have anything similar as a listening room. if they have a liberal return policy you could demo them at the restaurant.

Mr Peabody
10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
If this is just background music and you aren't trying to set up any kind of soundstage, I'd recommend getting something like a Bogen amp and using a 70 volt line. The 70 volt line is very good for long runs and multiple speakers. You could maybe go with in-wall or ceiling speakers. If four speakers is your absolute max you will ever use then a simple home amp might work. In this case a Bose would be a good option because of the way they dissperse sound. Most of their home speakers are designed to fill the room with sound rather than focusing on giving a listener in the "sweet spot" a nice soundstage.

HAD
10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
If this is just background music and you aren't trying to set up any kind of soundstage, I'd recommend getting something like a Bogen amp and using a 70 volt line. The 70 volt line is very good for long runs and multiple speakers. You could maybe go with in-wall or ceiling speakers. If four speakers is your absolute max you will ever use then a simple home amp might work. In this case a Bose would be a good option because of the way they dissperse sound. Most of their home speakers are designed to fill the room with sound rather than focusing on giving a listener in the "sweet spot" a nice soundstage.

I got the Athena WS-15s. The new ones cost about $200CAD, and I found a pair in the store which were floor models for $49! I had to get them. Obviously not bassy enough, but that's no surprise at this size.

Quick question about the 70volt, if my cables were quite long and I did use more than 4 speakers, wouldn't my speakers have to be 70volt ready also? Or it ok with a 70volt amp? Excuse my ignorance if I said something wrong.

dingus
10-05-2007, 12:11 AM
I got the Athena WS-15s. The new ones cost about $200CAD, and I found a pair in the store which were floor models for $49! I had to get them. Obviously not bassy enough, but that's no surprise at this size.
nice grab! it will be very hard to complain at that price. wait until you have them positioned before you assess the bass, they just might surprise you.

Mr Peabody
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
HAD, you are correct, a 70v system would need compatible speakers. This type of system is used for purposes of needing several speakers and long runs, schools, stores, office buildings etc. They can also be used for smaller applications too, like workout centers or restaurants. Not compatible with home gear at all, well, unless maybe a source.