Why Do All AV Receivers under 1k only have 2 Component Inputs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why Do All AV Receivers under 1k only have 2 Component Inputs?

dapercy
02-26-2004, 04:00 PM
This is mind-boggling to me. Am I the only person that has HDTV, Progressive Scan DVD, and Progressive Scan X-Box?

Does anyone know of a way to hook up all three w/o needing to bypass the receiver for the third component in?

F1
02-26-2004, 04:55 PM
This is mind-boggling to me. Am I the only person that has HDTV, Progressive Scan DVD, and Progressive Scan X-Box?

Does anyone know of a way to hook up all three w/o needing to bypass the receiver for the third component in?

What about "Y splitter". Never tried before, but it may work...

dapercy
02-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Where can I get a Y splitter. I'll have to check it out.

uncooked
02-27-2004, 09:33 PM
radio shack sells some good ones i have used.

GaToy
02-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Actually alot of recievers over the thousand mark only have two sets also. My STR-DA7ES was originally a $2300 unit. I do know what you mean though. I decided to run the component cables straight to the T.V.. I then ran the sound through my reciever. I also did this with my HD box. My T.V. has more component inputs than my reciever.

~C.C.~

Geoffcin
02-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Actually alot of recievers over the thousand mark only have two sets also. My STR-DA7ES was originally a $2300 unit. I do know what you mean though. I decided to run the component cables straight to the T.V.. I then ran the sound through my reciever. I also did this with my HD box. My T.V. has more component inputs than my reciever.

~C.C.~

I agree, the best way to hook your cable, and DVD player is directly into your monitor. Just because a reciever CAN switch component video, in my view there's got to be a loss of signal there, even if only from the multiple connections. My TV has two component inputs, and these are what are hooked into them.

RGA
02-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Why not buy a switchbox? They're less than $20.00 and connect several units to it. As for fidelity - well if you're running a receiver it's not a big loss anyway IMO.

woodman
02-29-2004, 02:25 PM

The mfgs. of A/V receivers have decided (and rightly so) that 2 component-video inputs should satisfy the needs of most everybody. Your wanting to connect a video game console via component video is not ereally the problem that you're making it out to be. There are no video games that will require the amount of video bandwidth that component-video provides, and you'll see no difference in the quality of video from your video games if you use an S-video connection for them. HDTV and progressive-scan DVD players require component-video connections ... video game consoles don't.

Switching more than two Component-video sources to feed the TV set will require an external switch-box, unless you can spring for a "flagship" receiver that offers 3 such inputs on it's backside.

Hope this helps you

Smokey
02-29-2004, 06:04 PM
What about "Y splitter". Never tried before, but it may work...

I don't think "Y" splitters will work too well for video input/outputs since same impedance have to be maintained (75 ohm) throughout IC cable connections.

As others have mentioned, if the revere or TV can not accommodate all of component connection, then one might be to get by using an A/V switch box for $20-30. Just make sure the yellow connection (video) on the A/V box is used for the green color coded component cable :)

dapercy
02-29-2004, 06:19 PM
The mfgs. of A/V receivers have decided (and rightly so) that 2 component-video inputs should satisfy the needs of most everybody. Your wanting to connect a video game console via component video is not ereally the problem that you're making it out to be. There are no video games that will require the amount of video bandwidth that component-video provides, and you'll see no difference in the quality of video from your video games if you use an S-video connection for them. HDTV and progressive-scan DVD players require component-video connections ... video game consoles don't.

Switching more than two Component-video sources to feed the TV set will require an external switch-box, unless you can spring for a "flagship" receiver that offers 3 such inputs on it's backside.

Hope this helps you

X-Box has capability for 1080i and Gamecube has 480p. Both require component cables and with a 36" Trinitron Direct View there is a definite difference in the picture.