Shhhh...be vewy qwiet...it's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shhhh...be vewy qwiet...it's

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 07:48 AM
HOCKEY SEASON!!!!

Game on!

That's "Hockey Season" in Leafs blue. Yep, it's a new year and I'm bleeding blue again. No more cheering for those losers The Senators. I've renewed my passport for Leafs Nation.

First game tonight against the Sens. And, although I have to say that I like the Sens chances this year...best pre-season record in the league...I can't help myself, I have to cheer for my boy Mats.

I'll cheer for the Sens secretly where my husband can't see me.

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 07:55 AM
HOCKEY SEASON!!!!

Game on!

That's "Hockey Season" in Leafs blue. Yep, it's a new year and I'm bleeding blue again. No more cheering for those losers The Senators. I've renewed my passport for Leafs Nation.

First game tonight against the Sens. And, although I have to say that I like the Sens chances this year...best pre-season record in the league...I can't help myself, I have to cheer for my boy Mats.

I'll cheer for the Sens secretly where my husband can't see me.

You know how much I respect and admire, ya, FA - whew! now that's outta the way:

I hear the first 5000 fans at the game tonight get the official Leaf Nation paper bags to wear over their heads...

Shhhhh...if you listen really closely, you can hear Vesa Toskala's knees knocking, as he sits in a corner by himself, rocking back and forth, unintelligibly muttering "too much rubber, too much rubber!"

Sens 5, Leafs 2!

Be Red!

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
I hear the first 5000 fans at the game tonight get the official Leaf Nation paper bags to wear over their heads...

Respect and admiration equally returned...

I heard that there will be extra medical staff in the building, specially trained in the Heimlich manouvre, in case the Senators choke (again).

Bad-ump-ump! :7:

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Respect and admiration equally returned...

I heard that there will be extra medical staff in the building, specially trained in the Heimlich manouvre, in case the Senators choke (again).

Bad-ump-ump! :7:

Ooohh...

You make a good point - best to bow out meekly in April than to die on the ice in June, eh?

So what big party does TO have planned this year- last year they celebrated 40 years of losing! I'll be sure to return in 2017 for the 50th anniversary...
"Sixty-seven!!!" (clap...clap...clap, clap, clap!) "Sixty-seven!!!" (clap...clap...clap, clap, clap!)

Question:
What do the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Rapters and the Toronto Maple Leafs have in common?

GMichael
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Ooohh...

Question:
What do the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Rapters and the Toronto Maple Leafs have in common?

Let me take a stab at this one.
They uh.... uhm.... I know, they play out of the same city?

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Let me take a stab at this one.
They uh.... uhm.... I know, they play out of the same city?
:shocked:

....pretty good guess.

Geography wasn't quite where I was going...

JSE
10-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Hockey? Yankees. :ciappa:

GMichael
10-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Hockey? Yankees. :ciappa:

No, the Yankees don't play much Hockey. They do play some pretty fair baseball though. Thanks for giving us back our two pitchers.

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Ooohh...

You make a good point - best to bow out meekly in April than to die on the ice in June, eh?

All that wasted time when they could have been focusing on their golf game. :rolleyes5:

So what big party does TO have planned this year- last year they celebrated 40 years of losing! I'll be sure to return in 2017 for the 50th anniversary...
"Sixty-seven!!!" (clap...clap...clap, clap, clap!) "Sixty-seven!!!" (clap...clap...clap, clap, clap!)

If you were a Habs fan I might give you that one, however...
At least Toronto managed to keep a team that whole time. Um, I'm sorry, when was the last time the Sens won The Cup? Oh that's right, 80 years ago in 1927. So when we're celebrating 50 years, you'll be celebrating...90?!

Question:

They're from the best damn city in the world!

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 12:20 PM
If you were a Habs fan I might give you that one, however...
At least Toronto managed to keep a team that whole time. Um, I'm sorry, when was the last time the Sens won The Cup? Oh that's right, 80 years ago in 1927. So when we're celebrating 50 years, you'll be celebrating...90?!

Oh come on, the only reason the Leafs exists is because they are lucky enough to live in a market of 6 + million people, by no doing of their own. At least real hockey fans in Ottawa can afford tickets instead of having to drive to Ottawa or Buffalo to see the Leafs...bwa ha ha ha.

Ok, ok...all homerism aside, I'm glad hockey's back...and for our US friends, you're getting a taste of the most bitter rivalry in all of hockey - the Toronto Maple Leafs vs, every other team in the NHL. serious...I thought maybe Yankees/Sox was close...not even!

Question:
Answer: None of them can play hockey.
Bwa ha ha ha ha...priceless.

JSE
10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
No, the Yankees don't play much Hockey. They do play some pretty fair baseball though. Thanks for giving us back our two pitchers.

For the price, they are all yours!

Anyway, I'm officially MIA for the 13 days. See you guys later.

JSE

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh come on, the only reason the Leafs exists is because they are lucky enough to live in a market of 6 + million people, by no doing of their own. At least real hockey fans in Ottawa can afford tickets instead of having to drive to Ottawa or Buffalo to see the Leafs...bwa ha ha ha.

You got me there. I've got a better chance of being struck by lightening then scoring a set of Leafs tickets (unless I want to miss a couple of mortgage payments).

Ok, ok...all homerism aside, I'm glad hockey's back...and for our US friends, you're getting a taste of the most bitter rivalry in all of hockey - the Toronto Maple Leafs vs, every other team in the NHL. serious...I thought maybe Yankees/Sox was close...not even!

Not every other team. Just the Habs and Sens...okay, maybe Buffalo. And the Sens is only a pretty recent rivalry. I don't usually get into to rivalry game but I made that post just for you, knowing that you'd take the bait. You did and it was good clean fun!

Question:
Answer: None of them can play hockey.
Bwa ha ha ha ha...priceless.

None of them can play baseball either. That's good. You made me laugh out loud with that one.

Only three short months until Lacrosse season!

Lacrosse before Lost. Can you believe it? :nonod:

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Only three short months until Lacrosse season!

Lacrosse before Lost. Can you believe it? :nonod:
Oh man, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for both pretty bad. Is it February yet?

GMichael
10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Lost? I thought that was canceled. I deleted it off my DVR's list of things to record.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Being from Pittsburgh you probably can all guess where my loyalty lies...THE PENS. Although from the West I root for Vancouver. I'd love to see it come down to those two teams this year. I think the PENS have a great shot this year if they can stay healthy and pull together.

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Being from Pittsburgh you probably can all guess where my loyalty lies...THE PENS. Although from the West I root for Vancouver. I'd love to see it come down to those two teams this year. I think the PENS have a great shot this year if they can stay healthy and pull together.

If you can believe it, I used to own a Vancouver jersey and a Penguins sweatshirt. An ex-boyfriend bought me the jersey because I said that I liked the colours (?!) and I bought the sweatshirt because I liked the Penguin logo and it was on sale really cheap at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go paint my face blue.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
If you can believe it, I used to own a Vancouver jersey and a Penguins sweatshirt. An ex-boyfriend bought me the jersey because I said that I liked the colours (?!) and I bought the sweatshirt because I liked the Penguin logo and it was on sale really cheap at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go paint my face blue.

Which Penguin Logo? The current one or the one used from 1993-around 200?

bobsticks
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM

I know yer not talkin' to me...eh?

Ya, tis a great thing to be starting another season. I fear for the Ottawa fans since they're already counting on prospects to fill out the defensive corps. Toronto looks a bit better on paper. You gotta love having fourth liners with cup rings, but again...Vesa (and Hal Gill skates slower than I run).

P-Skies' Penguins look good too. Everyone knows about Malkin and Cry...Dive...er,Crosby but they've got some solid kids in support roles. Fleury ain't ready though.

Frankly, I still watch for individuals. I've still got some guys doing the deal down Dallas-way, and for the Islanders, and for Anaheim. I tend to be a bit mercenary. Great hockey is great hockey no matter what...

I'll tell you this, I don't think the Sharks are done trying to buy a cup yet. They're still relatively comfortably under the salary cap and could surprise some people. And, the mercy acquisition of JR could prove to be great ROI if he does anything other than run his pie-hole.

We shall see...and that's half the fun.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I know yer not talkin' to me...eh?

Ya, tis a great thing to be starting another season. I fear for the Ottawa fans since they're already counting on prospects to fill out the defensive corps. Toronto looks a bit better on paper. You gotta love having fourth liners with cup rings, but again...Vesa (and Hal Gill skates slower than I run).

P-Skies' Penguins look good too. Everyone knows about Malkin and Cry...Dive...er,Crosby but they've got some solid kids in support roles. Fleury ain't ready though.

Frankly, I still watch for individuals. I've still got some guys doing the deal down Dallas-way, and for the Islanders, and for Anaheim. I tend to be a bit mercenary. Great hockey is great hockey no matter what...

I'll tell you this, I don't think the Sharks are done trying to buy a cup yet. They're still relatively comfortably under the salary cap and could surprise some people. And, the mercy acquisition of JR could prove to be great ROI if he does anything other than run his pie-hole.

We shall see...and that's half the fun.

Hey hey hey....just like Lemiuex, Crosby is the guy everyone complains about...UNTIL HE PLAYS ON YOUR TEAM. Fortunately both are loyal to Pittsburgh, and if anything can be said about Lemiuex it's his loyalty to The Burg. Not too many players these days stay loyal from the beginning to the end, even Gretzsky moved around a bit.

Woochifer
10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
... and meanwhile, the Cup is lounging on the beach and ready to go surfing here in California! :cornut:

In growing up rooting for the pre-Gretzky Kings though (yes, I remember when they wore those purple and gold unis so that they could color coordinate with the Lakers), it hurt to watch those upstart Ducks get their names on the Cup having only come into existence the year after the Kings' lone trip to the Finals in 1993! (As painful as that 1993 loss to Montreal was, I could only imagine the collective suicide watch in the TO after native son Gretzky single-handedly led the L.A. Kings to that Game 7 conference finals win over the Leafs)

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Chicago, and Florida are 2 teams to watch for this year...LA too, maybe if Cammalleri finally becomes the player he's suppose to be.

Sens 4, Leafs 3...The Heat Is On.....Heatley resigns, and pots the winner! Woo hoo!

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Chicago, and Florida are 2 teams to watch for this year...LA too, maybe if Cammalleri finally becomes the player he's suppose to be.

Sens 4, Leafs 3...The Heat Is On.....Heatley resigns, and pots the winner! Woo hoo!

Who did the Leafs have in goal?

bobsticks
10-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey hey hey....just like Lemiuex, Crosby is the guy everyone complains about...UNTIL HE PLAYS ON YOUR TEAM. Fortunately both are loyal to Pittsburgh, and if anything can be said about Lemiuex it's his loyalty to The Burg. Not too many players these days stay loyal from the beginning to the end, even Gretzsky moved around a bit.

Yeah, everyone wanted Lemieux on their team--the magic man, playoff performer. Four cups with four teams and a reputation as the chippiest player at crunchtime. Okay, there was a wee bit of controversy surrounding his style. I lived in Detroit when "the hit" on Drapes occured, but all that for boarding a dudes mug in the glass...

...oh wait, you meant that Mario cat? He was alright too, I suppose. His production kinda dropped when Coffey and that big Yugoslavian guy who's gonna ruin Scotty Gomez and Drury's careers left town.

I read ya. If Claude's a ten then I'll give Mario a six point two.

I'm just sayin'.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, everyone wanted Lemieux on their team--the magic man, playoff performer. Four cups with four teams and a reputation as the chippiest player at crunchtime. Okay, there was a wee bit of controversy surrounding his style. I lived in Detroit when "the hit" on Drapes occured, but all that for boarding a dudes mug in the glass...

...oh wait, you meant that Mario cat? He was alright too, I suppose. His production kinda dropped when Coffey and that big Yugoslavian guy who's gonna ruin Scotty Gomez and Drury's careers left town.

I read ya. If Claude's a ten then I'll give Mario a six point two.

I'm just sayin'.

Whaaaaaaa? Claude Lemieux in the same sentence as Mario? Whew, that's just not right. Mario Lemieux is either the 1st or 2nd greatest player to ever play the game of hockey and would be hands-down the number 1 if not plagued by a disease and back issues. I am not making up excuses, but for anyone to come back from this disease and not only catch Pat Lafountaine, but blow by him.....I rest my case. Stats combined with games played show that Lemieux and Gretzsky are nearly neck and neck in terms of pts/game played.

bobsticks
10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
How many Cups he got? I rest my case.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
How many Cups he got? I rest my case.

So then Henri Richard is the greatest hockey player of all time?

bobsticks
10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
So then Henri Richard is the greatest hockey player of all time?

Naw, but he's up there. Numero uno has to be one of the skills guys, well versed in the fundamentals like maybe Hakan Loeb or Mel Angelstad.

The teens and twenties would be guys like Gump Worlsley and Tim Chevaldae. The real leaders, as it were.

Mario's good, definetely within the top hundred of all time. Maybe number eighty. Wait a minute, I forgot Kryzstopf Oliwa and the 1994-95 Ottawa Senators, so maybe 82nd.

Ooops. Greg Leeb...make that 83rd best all time.

Did Marty Flichel ever play in the big show? Sascha Lakovic? Maybe 85th.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Naw, but he's up there. Numero uno has to be one of the skills guys, well versed in the fundamentals like maybe Hakan Loeb or Mel Angelstad.

The teens and twenties would be guys like Gump Worlsley and Tim Chevaldae. The real leaders, as it were.

Mario's good, definetely within the top hundred of all time. Maybe number eighty. Wait a minute, I forgot Kryzstopf Oliwa and the 1994-95 Ottawa Senators, so maybe 82nd.

You're crazy.

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Whaaaaaaa? Claude Lemieux in the same sentence as Mario? Whew, that's just not right. Mario Lemieux is either the 1st or 2nd greatest player to ever play the game of hockey and would be hands-down the number 1 if not plagued by a disease and back issues. I am not making up excuses, but for anyone to come back from this disease and not only catch Pat Lafountaine, but blow by him.....I rest my case. Stats combined with games played show that Lemieux and Gretzsky are nearly neck and neck in terms of pts/game played.
What the?
Did you just use Pat Lafontaine in the same sentence as Mario?

Sorry dude, nobody outside Pittsburgh and Montreal has Mario pegged any higher than 3 all time, and I am the world's biggest Mario Lemieux fan. #2 being Bobby Orr
Lemieux's points per game stats are artificially inflated by the fact he took time off during the NHL's lowest scoring era ever - though his numbers were on the decline too. Gretzky was never the same after the Hunter hit that destroyed his back, but for the most part he was durable. He probably should have taken time off to recharge his body as well but...

Anyway - nobody, not even Michael Jordan, has ever dominated their sport by as wide a margin as Gretzky did in his prime. Not even close.

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 03:48 AM

Tim Chevaldae? He played a bit later than the teens and twenties :)

ForeverAutumn
10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
...And the season begins with me hanging my head in shame.

I'm a Leafs fan....what else is new?!

:nonod:

PeruvianSkies
10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Tim Chevaldae? He played a bit later than the teens and twenties :)

Um, yeah like 1989 or so. And he wasn't even that good of a goalie.

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 05:59 PM
The Gerbinator comes up big and Alfie nets the winner...all is well in Hockey Country.

And nope, Tim Chevaldae was definitely not going to be confused with Ken Dryden...

bobsticks
10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Uumm, you guys know that post was in jest, right?

Check out some stats on Mangler or K.O. I couldn't tell you the year, but they're mighty impressive in that liver-nosed meathead kinda way. To my recollection you're not supposed to go over the glass and fight the fans though. That was stressed...

P-Sky, I got nothing but love for Pitt and Crosby in particular. He's a phenom beyond that which has been hyped in years past. His raw ability combined with good judgment about when to use finesse will serve him well. I think you'll see characters like Ovetchkin suffer through more injuries than Crosby because of the straight-ahead, north-south approach against the D. That said, Crosby has taken a few trips to the ice that are unbefitting someone of his skill and stature. A little bonus love, I didn't find out until today that Jay Botterill is your Director of Hockey Administration. Good man.

PeruvianSkies
10-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Uumm, you guys know that post was in jest, right?

Check out some stats on Mangler or K.O. I couldn't tell you the year, but they're mighty impressive in that liver-nosed meathead kinda way. To my recollection you're not supposed to go over the glass and fight the fans though. That was stressed...

P-Sky, I got nothing but love for Pitt and Crosby in particular. He's a phenom beyond that which has been hyped in years past. His raw ability combined with good judgment about when to use finesse will serve him well. I think you'll see characters like Ovetchkin suffer through more injuries than Crosby because of the straight-ahead, north-south approach against the D. That said, Crosby has taken a few trips to the ice that are unbefitting someone of his skill and stature. A little bonus love, I didn't find out until today that Jay Botterill is your Director of Hockey Administration. Good man.

There is no doubt that Crosby's agility will make him a vital long-term asset to any organization, hopefully he will stay with Pittsburgh (now that the Pens are staying in the Burg for a few years to come). I think the Pens have a strong chance this year, then again so do quite a few other teams, including Anaheim again.

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 11:07 AM
There is no doubt that Crosby's agility will make him a vital long-term asset to any organization, hopefully he will stay with Pittsburgh (now that the Pens are staying in the Burg for a few years to come). I think the Pens have a strong chance this year, then again so do quite a few other teams, including Anaheim again.
Anaheim has lost 2 of the most dynamic players in the world, a promising young forward, and will be hard pressed to repeat. Is Todd Bertuzzi as good as Teemu Selanne and Dustin Penner? No. Is Schneider as good as Neidermeyer? Not even close. Neidermeyer won the MVP for a reason. That said they're good for a round or possibly 2. The team to watch in the West is Detroit. Possibly San Jose, though I'm tired of being disappointed by them.

In the East, hard to argue again the Rangers and Senators - but there are at least 5 other teams you could argue for - Pittsburgh, Buffalo, are still loaded, Carolina and Tampa aren't far removed from Cup wins, and New Jersey has Martin Brodeur and finds a way to compete every year.

If Petr Forsberg signs with Ottawa as is rumoured, I'd pick them, but otherwise it's a dog fight in the East.

As for Crosby - I'd expect him to win the scoring title by 20 pts or more. He's not very big, but he's got excellent judgement and hockey sense. And unlike most finesse players before him, he's probably got the most powerful skating legs in hockey which makes him extremely hard to stop. He's got a lot of help this year. The weakspot in Pittsburgh is the defence and goalie, but if you can score 6 you can let in 5. They are going to be a treat to watch.
I don't know if he'll stay in Pittsburgh beyond age 25 or whatever, but with a salary cap in place, money isn't really the issue for Pittsburgh because all 30 teams will offer him the league max for as long as he wants it. He may decide to go the strongest team at that time to win a few cups. We'll see. I'm guessin he stays in Pittsburgh as long as he's happy.

PeruvianSkies
10-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Anaheim has lost 2 of the most dynamic players in the world, a promising young forward, and will be hard pressed to repeat. Is Todd Bertuzzi as good as Teemu Selanne and Dustin Penner? No. Is Schneider as good as Neidermeyer? Not even close. Neidermeyer won the MVP for a reason. That said they're good for a round or possibly 2. The team to watch in the West is Detroit. Possibly San Jose, though I'm tired of being disappointed by them.

In the East, hard to argue again the Rangers and Senators - but there are at least 5 other teams you could argue for - Pittsburgh, Buffalo, are still loaded, Carolina and Tampa aren't far removed from Cup wins, and New Jersey has Martin Brodeur and finds a way to compete every year.

If Petr Forsberg signs with Ottawa as is rumoured, I'd pick them, but otherwise it's a dog fight in the East.

As for Crosby - I'd expect him to win the scoring title by 20 pts or more. He's not very big, but he's got excellent judgement and hockey sense. And unlike most finesse players before him, he's probably got the most powerful skating legs in hockey which makes him extremely hard to stop. He's got a lot of help this year. The weakspot in Pittsburgh is the defence and goalie, but if you can score 6 you can let in 5. They are going to be a treat to watch.
I don't know if he'll stay in Pittsburgh beyond age 25 or whatever, but with a salary cap in place, money isn't really the issue for Pittsburgh because all 30 teams will offer him the league max for as long as he wants it. He may decide to go the strongest team at that time to win a few cups. We'll see. I'm guessin he stays in Pittsburgh as long as he's happy.

Last I heard he was still living at Mario's house, which with his money you would think he could buy about 20 houses, but he seems down to earth and not that interested in money, he enjoys Pittsburgh...not sure why personally, but who cares...he can play hockey!!!

bobsticks
02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Whaaaaaaa? Claude Lemieux in the same sentence as Mario?

Hell yeah I am...read 'em and weep:

13:11, Milan Michalek 16 (Joe Pavelski, Claude Lemieux)

Yeah bay-bay, that's big daddy comin' back after five years of retirement...How's Mario playin'? Oh yeah, he playin' the part of Jeeves the Butler for lil' Cindy...makin' sure Cindy's nylons match his garter belts.

Damn, Claude scored more points today than Mats Sundin.

JSE
02-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Hell yeah I am...read 'em and weep:

13:11, Milan Michalek 16 (Joe Pavelski, Claude Lemieux)

Yeah bay-bay, that's big daddy comin' back after five years of retirement...How's Mario playin'? Oh yeah, he playin' the part of Jeeves the Butler for lil' Cindy...makin' sure Cindy's nylons match his garter belts.

Damn, Claude scored more points today than Mats Sundin.

The NHL is still in existence? Huh, who knew? :ciappa:

ForeverAutumn
02-20-2009, 07:11 AM
The NHL is still in existence? Huh, who knew? :ciappa:

It's been kind of a quiet hockey year in our house. Hubby and I are both pretty disillusioned with the Leafs this year. They look good on paper but just can't hold a lead with a ****ty defence that isn't living up to it's potential. An ailment that seems to be contagious and run over to my beloved Toronto Rock lacrosse team who also look fantastic on paper and should be kicking a$$, but just can't seem to get it together. The Rock will be playing one of their biggest rivals, Buffalo, tonight and coming off a 10-25 loss to Buffalo last weekend :yikes: ...at least they'll be motivated!

bobsticks
02-20-2009, 07:27 AM
The rumor mill is running amok with a variety if schemes to dismantle the current roster. Luke Shenn is really the only "untouchable" on the squad. The problem is, there's somw sizeable contracts that, at best, may only bring some draft picks.

There in negotiations right now with the Red Wings for Antropov. Detroit's offered 'em a sixpack of oil for the Zamboni and a bag of pucks...

ForeverAutumn
02-20-2009, 07:58 AM
The rumor mill is running amok with a variety if schemes to dismantle the current roster. Luke Shenn is really the only "untouchable" on the squad. The problem is, there's somw sizeable contracts that, at best, may only bring some draft picks.

There in negotiations right now with the Red Wings for Antropov. Detroit's offered 'em a sixpack of oil for the Zamboni and a bag of pucks...

A full bag of pucks? That sounds like pretty good deal. Bring on the changes!

Worf101
02-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Introduced to this fine sport by my son who's hockey and Canada mad (don't ask me mebbe his mom was scared by a smoked meat samich) I've come to love the sport. I'd pay good hard earned money to watch Ovachkin (sp) play. I even support the local AHL squad, The Albany River Rats, so... what can I say, better late than never...

Da Worfster

kexodusc
02-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Introduced to this fine sport by my son who's hockey and Canada mad (don't ask me mebbe his mom was scared by a smoked meat samich) I've come to love the sport. I'd pay good hard earned money to watch Ovachkin (sp) play. I even support the local AHL squad, The Albany River Rats, so... what can I say, better late than never...

Da Worfster
Does your boy play hockey Worf?

It's tough to beat the AHL for value - the caliber of hockey is outstanding and the prices are right. Don't be riding the bus with the team anytime soon though. That Jerome Samson kid in Albany has a shot at the big leagues if he works hard. I watched him play Junior here in New Brunswick a few years ago - he's a solid 2 way player that kind of bloomed a bit late and flew under the radar. He'll be a very good AHL player at the least.

I'm a huge nut for local/minor sports. College hockey is damn good too.

Worf101
02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Does your boy play hockey Worf?

It's tough to beat the AHL for value - the caliber of hockey is outstanding and the prices are right. Don't be riding the bus with the team anytime soon though. That Jerome Samson kid in Albany has a shot at the big leagues if he works hard. I watched him play Junior here in New Brunswick a few years ago - he's a solid 2 way player that kind of bloomed a bit late and flew under the radar. He'll be a very good AHL player at the least.

I'm a huge nut for local/minor sports. College hockey is damn good too.
Ian, (Los Knuckleheados) plays, he's a "Midget" now, last step before Junior but I think this is his last year of "competitive" hockey. He loves it but he started too late (age 10 with Learn to Skate learn to Play) and although he's worked hard at it, he's been unable to close the skill gap with kids who've been playing since they could walk. He's a better baseball player and it costs $1,500 in fees to play travel hockey, not to mention gas, travel, tournements etc... Sooo I think we're gonna concentrate on Baseball from now on.

As for the AHL, I love it. Would love to see an NHL game someday but tickets are crazy expensive and the nearest franchise is the Ranger in NY City... outta my price league. RPI, our closest Hockey team, stinks, at least the men do. The women are holy terrors who skate fast and hard. Love watching womens hockey, even if they don't hit.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Ian, (Los Knuckleheados) plays, he's a "Midget" now, last step before Junior but I think this is his last year of "competitive" hockey. He loves it but he started too late (age 10 with Learn to Skate learn to Play) and although he's worked hard at it, he's been unable to close the skill gap with kids who've been playing since they could walk. He's a better baseball player and it costs $1,500 in fees to play travel hockey, not to mention gas, travel, tournements etc... Sooo I think we're gonna concentrate on Baseball from now on.

As for the AHL, I love it. Would love to see an NHL game someday but tickets are crazy expensive and the nearest franchise is the Ranger in NY City... outta my price league. RPI, our closest Hockey team, stinks, at least the men do. The women are holy terrors who skate fast and hard. Love watching womens hockey, even if they don't hit.

Da Worfster
Well hopefully Knucklehead Jr can still play rec or something. I got too focused on the competitive aspect and while it was good for me, in hindsight I missed out on a lot of stuff I would have liked to. It stopped being fun and became work.

Is he a goalie? If he is he will never have to pay for ice time or find guys to play with. Goalies are like drummers, except more rare and with less expectation.

I dunno about the Rangers but I've gone to a dozen different cities in the last few years and seen NHL games for under $20. "Nosebleed" section ain't what it used to be, every seat has a good view in the modern rinks and if you can move down a few rows, even better. Buffalo/NJ/NYI not in the area?

Still love the AHL though.The Iron Lung League.