Starbucks is dialing me in...should I worry? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks is dialing me in...should I worry?

noddin0ff
10-03-2007, 04:59 AM
I hate feeling like I'm someone's target demographic (almost as much as I hate not being someone's target demographic). I'm finding my visits to my local Starbucks becoming more creepy. I used to look at all the CD's they sold and think, "Lame...who doesn't get out so much that they need to buy their music in coffee shops." Now, more and more, I find myself lingering over the title's they're pushing. Do I have a problem? I even started succumbing to the marketing machine. Am I being assimilated?

I've picked up...

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band: It's Not Big It's Large
Over all it's pretty good. Reminds me of a cross between the first Large Band and I Love Everybody. Pretty easy going mix, not as humorous as LL&HLB. There's more seamless mixing of various genres with Lyle's impeccable talent. Maybe because it's so seamless I feel it falls in the 'bit more of the same' category for me but its a nice album none-the-less.

Grateful Dead: Eternally Grateful
A 2-CD set. CD1 is a studio comp, CD2 is a live comp. And excellent cross-section for a someone lacking exposure to the culture of the Deadheads. It's got a Rhino logo as well; I probably wouldn't have picked it up so readily if it weren't for that. It's a well done package. Follow the link for track list and sources. (http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Eternally_Grateful.htm)

and before I get accused of selling out by buying my coffee at Starbucks, I was a Seattle patron when there were no more than 3 stores, years later turned my back on SB and pledged loyalty to Peet's. Now Peet's is far away and SB is half a block...what can I say. You will never never see me ordering a no whip skinny frap or some such nonsense...

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 05:13 AM
and before I get accused of selling out by buying my coffee at Starbucks, I was a Seattle patron when there were no more than 3 stores, years later turned my back on SB and pledged loyalty to Peet's. Now Peet's is far away and SB is half a block...what can I say. You will never never see me ordering a no whip skinny frap or some such nonsense...

Ah, you know us too well. You jumped right in there and took the thunder out of my post. :smilewinkgrin:

Well, as both a coffee lover and a music lover...I say that good coffee is good coffee and good music is good music. Both are subjective and sometimes overpriced, but you can't take for granted the enjoyment of either so you should buy them whenever and wherever you can.

(P.S. I often go to Starbucks for a caffe mocha with non-fat soy and no whipped. I don't care how pretentious it sounds...it's delicious!)

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Yeah, no kidding...They're giving music away now too - Eddie Vedder, Dave Matthews, Dylan, etc...all downloadable from iTunes. Clever bastards...
Starbucks makes a decent mass market espresso in a pinch - I travel a lot for work, that's the first question I ask about a town's coffee shops - "how does the espresso compare to Starbucks"? Depending on the better/worse answers, I go from there. A lot of coffee lovers are hard on them, but trust me, most hotels, airport lounges, etc do much, much worse....

GMichael
10-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I am a huge fan of coffee, but I've never been able to stomach Starbucks. Not sure what it is. It makes my insides fight hard to be on the outside. Sounds like fun to be able to shop for music while sipping my morning brew though.
Anyone ever go to Barnes & Noble to sit and read in their coffee section?

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 06:40 AM
I am a huge fan of coffee, but I've never been able to stomach Starbucks. Not sure what it is. It makes my insides fight hard to be on the outside. Sounds like fun to be able to shop for music while sipping my morning brew though.
Could it be because Starbucks is a milk beverage store rather than a coffee shop and GM is lactose intolerant?
You pretty much need to order an espresso, or maybe an espresso americano on that menu...My stomach isn't a fan of the dairy derivatives of espresso drinks on their menu either.

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Could it be because Starbucks is a milk beverage store rather than a coffee shop and GM is lactose intolerant?
You pretty much need to order an espresso, or maybe an espresso americano on that menu...My stomach isn't a fan of the dairy derivatives of espresso drinks on their menu either.

I think that you can order pretty much any of their hot drinks with soy instead of milk. It's the cold pre-fab drinks that you need to stay away from. Starbucks coffee can be pretty strong. I like a rich cup of java, but I find that their mild blends are about as much as I can handle.

A friend of mine once told me that "friends don't let friends drink Starbucks". In fact, it's the same guy who recently said that "friends don't send friends Porky Tree". But what does he know? ;)

GMichael
10-03-2007, 07:10 AM
So far, I have no trouble with any dairy products. I do put half & half in the coffee I make at home. Something about the Starbucks that rips right through me. I don't think I'm alone in that either.
Many years ago I worked at the IBM Research Center, down in Yorktown NY. Some VP had gone on a trip and tried some Starbucks coffee. He liked it so much that on his return, he had our cafeteria switch completely to them. The first day after the switch, there were huge lines to get into every restroom in the building. By the second day, coffee consumption had dropped in half while tea consumption went through the roof. By the third week, you could get Starbucks or the regular coffee. Some people seem to love it, while others can't take it. I fall into the second group.

noddin0ff
10-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Hmmm...Eddie Vedder...might have to drag my laptop over there.

I do enjoy and occasional soy-latte...usually home-made with my stovetop maker.

Best reliable espresso I've had is from one of these nespresso thingies (http://www.nespresso.com/precom/sima/fiche__Nespresso_C190__N_C190_748_4_us_en.html) a colleague got in his office. He ordered a cheaper one and got the nice one by mistake. Needless to say, nothing was said. Uses little pods in something like 20 varieties. Works out to about 50 cents a shot for the pods. Tempting, tempting...

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I think that you can order pretty much any of their hot drinks with soy instead of milk. This guy doesn't touch much soy if at all possible - there's some nasty scientific studies regarding soy and it's affect on...err...certain vital components and hormones in men. I do have a wee bit from time to time though, but since I'm really not much of a dairy/dairy substitute fan anyway, especially in my coffees, it's not an issue usually - besides, it masks the taste of my coffee! Coffees like a religion to me. I hate paying $5 for coffee, but I hate paying $2.50 for steamed milk even more.:)
Gotta admit though, you sure feel like you get more in a cappuccino or latte.

It's the cold pre-fab drinks that you need to stay away from. Starbucks coffee can be pretty strong. I like a rich cup of java, but I find that their mild blends are about as much as I can handle.
I tried one of those cold drinks once...I think it lasted 3 sips...worst thing I've ever tasted. IIRC there's a days worth of calories in them too. I can't believe how popular they are, sometimes I wonder if people just drink them to accessorize?

"friends don't let friends drink Starbucks".
Swishy swishing the pot again?
Actually, that's pretty funny - I would tend to agree with him if it can helped. Unfortunately, I often find myself faced with the reality that bad coffee is better than no coffee. :(

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm really not much of a dairy/dairy substitute fan anyway, especially in my coffees, it's not an issue usually - besides, it masks the taste of my coffee! Coffees like a religion to me.

I'm with you brother. Unless you're getting some kind of fancy steamed drink, the only way to drink coffee is black.

Um, wasn't this threat supposed to be about the music at Starbucks? :(

GMichael
10-03-2007, 07:41 AM

Sorry. My bad.

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm with you brother. Unless you're getting some kind of fancy steamed drink, the only way to drink coffee is black.

You're right...I meant to say "I'm really not much of a dairy/dairy substitute fan anyway, especially in my coffees, it's not an issue usually - besides, it masks the taste of my coffee! Coffees like a religion to me" when I'm listening to my new Eddie Vedder tune at Starbucks...

ForeverAutumn
10-03-2007, 07:50 AM
You're right...I meant to say "I'm really not much of a dairy/dairy substitute fan anyway, especially in my coffees, it's not an issue usually - besides, it masks the taste of my coffee! Coffees like a religion to me" when I'm listening to my new Eddie Vedder tune at Starbucks...

That's better. :)

dean_martin
10-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Sit and read? Who goes to a book store to sit and read? I do like Barnes & Noble. I think I've been more this summer than any other time. I hit the cafe first for a Java Chip Frappuccino with whip and choc. syrup. I'm a sucker for chocolate milk shakes and coffee so this is the perfect drink. It can sub for a meal too. (Health nuts gasp here. Hey, I only get out maybe one weekend a month.) From there it's to the music and movie section - 2 of the 3 locations in our area have music and movie sections. By the time I'm done, I'm too juiced to sit and read.

I think the B&N cafes serve Starbucks coffee. Their menus are basically the same, but the last Starbucks I went in didn't have a Java Chip Frap. (If I go to a Starbucks, I almost always get mine to go.)

3-LockBox
10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Funny...there's thread over at ProgressiveEars on the same subject, only the CD in question is a Genesis comp which includes The Knife, Watcher Of The Skies, The Lamb', Squonk...

I live in the Pungent Sound area, I go to Starbucks every now and then, when its convenient, but I don't have to seek them out or anything, cuz why pass up 20 other espresso stands to get to a Starbucks?

I have purchased a comp from them, a good one too, Senses Working Overtime, which is a collection of late '70s, early '80s underground acts. The Genesis one surprised me, but I wonder how well it sells.

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a Starbucks any more than they should have a problem with a Haggendaus. What? Did they lose their indie cred or something when they got popular and started making money? :D

GMichael
10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Funny...there's thread over at ProgressiveEars on the same subject, only the CD in question is a Genesis comp which includes The Knife, Watcher Of The Skies, The Lamb', Squonk...

I live in the Pungent Sound area, I go to Starbucks every now and then, when its convenient, but I don't have to seek them out or anything, cuz why pass up 20 other espresso stands to get to a Starbucks?

I have purchased a comp from them, a good one too, Senses Working Overtime, which is a collection of late '70s, early '80s underground acts. The Genesis one surprised me, but I wonder how well it sells.

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a Starbucks any more than they should have a problem with a Haggendaus. What? Did they lose their indie cred or something when they got popular and started making money? :D

I never had a problem with their name. I had never even heard of them before I tried them. But I fear their coffee now.

noddin0ff
10-03-2007, 11:51 AM

oooh. Get me started... Time was you could walk into a Starbucks in the U. District order a coffee or a latte and have it served fairly quickly. THEN, they exploded across the country and someone in middle management decided that all the franchises must look alike and all must have some common organization where a floater behind the counter takes your order and maybe starts preparing it while you queue up to another person at the register who takes your order and money while marking up a cup that is handed off to another person who makes your coffee drink when they're not mixing 18 ingredients into the newest frappuccino concoction while you stand in another queue waiting for your drink to come up. Why it takes a minimum of three people to serve coffee drinks is beyond me. But now, the music is looking good and mine started serving donuts and maple bars so I'm hooked.

3-LockBox
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I never had a problem with their name.

not what I was driving at but...

whatever :lol:

3-LockBox
10-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Why it takes a minimum of three people to serve coffee drinks is beyond me.

Like I said, I live in a land of so many choices, I only go to Starbucks if its convenient. Espresso stands up here are like pancake houses in the 'south' - they're everywhere.

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Like I said, I live in a land of so many choices, I only go to Starbucks if its convenient. Espresso stands up here are like pancake houses in the 'south' - they're everywhere.
Ahh, you been to Atlanta, I see...

bobsticks
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
My love for coffee and other stimulants became prominent in college with Big Al's Lebanese Cuisine right around the corner. If you think Starbucks serves some heavey fare, try some Turkish coffee. Damn.

I feel pretty fortunate to have developed an "iron gut" with the proliferation of the latino community 'round these parts. There's alot of authentic south-of-the-border goodies and, in certain parts of town, jabaneros are finger food.

I guess I'm just lucky that way...and it didn't hurt being raised by wolves and suckled on The Laphroaig.

3-LockBox
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
If you think Starbucks serves some heavey fare, try some Turkish coffee.

I've had it, and you can keep it. I don't like coffee so strong it leaves a film on my teeth.

If you look at some super market coffee grinding stations, you'll that Turkisk is last on the progressive scale of grinds, right below espresso. I ground some coffee using the Turkish setting and it was like coc...er, talcum powder. It'll go right through a paper filter and don't even try it with a french press.

bobsticks
10-03-2007, 06:57 PM
You gotta love that ...er,talcom powder.

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 04:42 AM
You gotta love that ...er,talcom powder.
I had Turkish coffee for the first time about 8 years ago in Cyprus.
The first thing I thought as they pounded the beans in a mortar into a fine "coffee dust" was "this is gonna be nasty".
Yep - that was tough. I liked my coffee with cream and sugar back then -not strong, typical North American watered down stuff. Damn, it knocked me off my chair. I remember thinking that this is basically the coffee equivalent of powdered instant hot chocolate mix with 1/3 the recommended water amount.

Funny thing though, I developed a taste for espresso that day. They didn't seem so bitter after that. I've been hopelessly in love with coffee ever since.

Tried the Turskish stuff a few times, I don't mind it as much now, but it's still a bit too much for me, even. A friend of mine from Egypt drinks it exclusively. I don't think he's missed a day of work in his life, and I'm not sure the two aren't related. I don't know what anti-oxidants do exactly, but I'm sure he's as anti-oxidified as they come.

3-LockBox
10-04-2007, 08:28 AM
For more paletable strong coffee, try the cold brew method, sometimes called totty style (no, not with alcohol). Its where you put espresso grind into cold water a steep for 24 hours, then filter. Produces a good strong shot of espresso with less than half the acid that heat brewing does.

kexodusc
10-04-2007, 09:19 AM
For more paletable strong coffee, try the cold brew method, sometimes called totty style (no, not with alcohol). Its where you put espresso grind into cold water a steep for 24 hours, then filter. Produces a good strong shot of espresso with less than half the acid that heat brewing does.
Interesting...conventional wisdom is too much time for extraction sucks the baddies out of the grinds as well and ruins the character. Of course that's with the presence of heat. There's not much varietal distinction in a typical espresso roast anyway. I'll have to try that when I get home - thanks 3LB!

Hmmm...do you heat it later when you're ready for it or drink it cold?

3-LockBox
10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Hmmm...do you heat it later when you're ready for it or drink it cold?

Either - its waaaay smooth

Swish
10-05-2007, 07:28 AM

They make a dark roast, let's call it burnt for lack of a better description, and it tastes bitter to me as well and never satisfying. That is not the way coffee should taste! I like mine stroing and with very little cream, but not burnt. I can't understand how they can charge 1.90 + tax on a 12 ounce cup of coffee, but they do. Most of my amigos here know that I own a coffee shop (I rarely work there, my wife and her best friend run the place), so I truly believe I've been a coffee snob. As an independent, we can buy our beans from any wholesaler, but our favorite is in NJ and he does a fantastic job. We do sample many others, and Coffee Pacifica is coming on strong, although their organic products are pretty expensive for the average person.

Swish

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 08:01 AM
They make a dark roast, let's call it burnt for lack of a better description, and it tastes bitter to me as well and never satisfying.
Swish

Lol...Yeah, I get the feeling their beans are stored in a wharehouse for distribution and can be anywhere from 60-180 days old by the time they hit the stores. The charred black super-dark roast has always been their thing - they sorta revolutionized it and the espresso for North Americans....well the mainstream anyway. People think it's some exotic species or or blend, but it's just what happens when you cook all the flavor out of coffee. Though you can find a half decent mass market espresso there from time to time.

As an independent, we can buy our beans from any wholesaler, but our favorite is in NJ and he does a fantastic job. We do sample many others, and Coffee Pacifica is coming on strong, although their organic products are pretty expensive for the average person.

For less than what many would pay for sub par fast-food coffee per month, people can invest in a quality mill grinder and join a "coffee club" that will roast and ship the beans of your choice to you within a day or two of roasting. If you're lucky, you might have a few in your area. That's hard to top...unless you roast them yourself.. It's pretty easy to do, but almost has to be done outdoors.
Poor guys like me have to deal with snow 4-5 months a year...there's limits to how far I'll go for coffee.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 08:08 AM
They make a dark roast, let's call it burnt for lack of a better description, and it tastes bitter to me as well and never satisfying. That is not the way coffee should taste! I like mine stroing and with very little cream, but not burnt. I can't understand how they can charge 1.90 + tax on a 12 ounce cup of coffee, but they do. Most of my amigos here know that I own a coffee shop (I rarely work there, my wife and her best friend run the place), so I truly believe I've been a coffee snob. As an independent, we can buy our beans from any wholesaler, but our favorite is in NJ and he does a fantastic job. We do sample many others, and Coffee Pacifica is coming on strong, although their organic products are pretty expensive for the average person.

Swish

I like to buy the Kona whole coffee beans and grind up just enough for my morning pot. I've tried many others but always end up back with the Kona.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Lol...Yeah, I get the feeling their beans are stored in a wharehouse for distribution and can be anywhere from 60-180 days old by the time they hit the stores. The charred black super-dark roast has always been their thing - they sorta revolutionized it and the espresso for North Americans....well the mainstream anyway. People think it's some exotic species or or blend, but it's just what happens when you cook all the flavor out of coffee. Though you can find a half decent mass market espresso there from time to time.

For less than what many would pay for sub par fast-food coffee per month, people can invest in a quality mill grinder and join a "coffee club" that will roast and ship the beans of your choice to you within a day or two of roasting. If you're lucky, you might have a few in your area. That's hard to top...unless you roast them yourself.. It's pretty easy to do, but almost has to be done outdoors.
Poor guys like me have to deal with snow 4-5 months a year...there's limits to how far I'll go for coffee.

It's been getting harder and harder to find Kona whole beans for sale at stores. I may have to go online for them soon.

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 09:24 AM
It's been getting harder and harder to find Kona whole beans for sale at stores. I may have to go online for them soon.
Kona - geez, you don't mess around. Once in awhile I spoil myself with Kona or Jamaica Blue Mountain, etc, but I have to order mine. I order a two week supply, sometimes monthly. I experiment a lot to keep things interesting, this month it's Kenyan...

You live in NY, though, how hard can it be to find a decent roaster?

GMichael
10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Kona - geez, you don't mess around. Once in awhile I spoil myself with Kona or Jamaica Blue Mountain, etc, but I have to order mine. I order a two week supply, sometimes monthly. I experiment a lot to keep things interesting, this month it's Kenyan...

You live in NY, though, how hard can it be to find a decent roaster?

We moved to PA. Did you miss all those threads? Don't you remember Yogi?
The closest place for us to get Kona beans is in NJ now. It's not that far, but you never know when they may stop selling them and we have no alternates near by. A few places we used to get them from stopped. We'd have to go back into NY to get them.

The Jamaica Blue is good. I've had a few others that I like but not as much.

Slosh
10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
The Jamaica Blue is good. I've had a few others that I like but not as much.Some friends of mine get their coffee beans from Jamaica via some unknown to me internet site. Not sure if Jamaica Blue is the same stuff they get but if so, I agree that it's very good.

NP:

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Some friends of mine get their coffee beans from Jamaica via some unknown to me internet site. Not sure if Jamaica Blue is the same stuff they get but if so, I agree that it's very good.

NP:
Yeah, if it's legit Jamaica Blue Mountain (there are a lot of sites that sell Brazil/Columbian beans in Jamaica/Kona packages), it's one of very few estates in Jamaica (1 or 2) that make what is considered by many to be the finest coffee in the world. Even a lot of the other highland estates in Jamaica produce exceptional coffee - it's something to do with the altitude/moisture.

Not my personal favorite - but it's usually the most expensive. Worth it? Maybe to some people. I've bought it a few times- once a few years back at christmas to treat my visiting in-laws, who drink watered down coffee with cream and sugar :(
- and once just to see if it was the real deal. It's quite good, but isn't among my favorites, some of which are significantly cheaper.

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 10:30 AM
We moved to PA. Did you miss all those threads? Don't you remember Yogi?
The closest place for us to get Kona beans is in NJ now. It's not that far, but you never know when they may stop selling them and we have no alternates near by. A few places we used to get them from stopped. We'd have to go back into NY to get them.

The Jamaica Blue is good. I've had a few others that I like but not as much.

Sorry GM...forgot about the big move temporarily.

I should have mentioned - Jamaican Blue I believe is the 2nd most expensive/best coffee in the world, according to some.
That Kopi Luwak stuff is supposedly the $hit...literally.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Sorry GM...forgot about the big move temporarily.

I should have mentioned - Jamaican Blue I believe is the 2nd most expensive/best coffee in the world, according to some.
That Kopi Luwak stuff is supposedly the $hit...literally.

I do remember a few years back, I went into a "hi-end" coffee store. They were selling Kona at $40 a pound! Yikes! They also had another bean that they were selling at $40/lb and yet another at $60/lb. I don't remember which was the highest, but one of them was Jamaican bean. Maybe the other was the Kopi Luwak.???

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I do remember a few years back, I went into a "hi-end" coffee store. They were selling Kona at $40 a pound! Yikes! They also had another bean that they were selling at $40/lb and yet another at $60/lb. I don't remember which was the highest, but one of them was Jamaican bean. Maybe the other was the Kopi Luwak.???
Keep going...

The last place I saw Kopi Luwak being sold by the lb, it was $400 per...the good stuff goes for more than that, some of the cheap stuff might be as low as $100? That's insane.
I guess the Japanese upper class just love the stuff.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Keep going...

The last place I saw Kopi Luwak being sold by the lb, it was $400 per...the good stuff goes for more than that, some of the cheap stuff might be as low as $100? That's insane.
I guess the Japanese upper class just love the stuff.

They can keep it. I'll settle for my Kona.

I can't see spending as much on a pound & a half of coffee as I did on my sub.

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
They can keep it. I'll settle for my Kona.

I can't see spending as much on a pound & a half of coffee as I did on my sub.
Why anyone would spend hundreds of bucks on a pound of cat droppings is beyond me anyway...I don't think I'll ever get my head past that in order to try it.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Why anyone would spend hundreds of bucks on a pound of cat droppings is beyond me anyway...I don't think I'll ever get my head past that in order to try it.

Cat droppings? Now THAT'S a strong cup of coffee.

Swish
10-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I like to buy the Kona whole coffee beans and grind up just enough for my morning pot. I've tried many others but always end up back with the Kona.

Well, not really cheap, but about half of what you would pay retail. Really. That's one of the benefits of owning a shop. In fact, we got some free samples of it in the past.

As for Kona, I do like it, but prefer Columbian Supremo and Sumatra Mandheling, the former being my staple with rich, strong flavor, and the latter have the smoothest taste with very low acidity. Highly recommend for those with weak stomaches.

Our main roaster is awesome. If we order today, he roasts it today and we have it tomorrow, and it's free shipping for 150 lbs. or more, and we always order more than that. I always have plenty of fresh beans at home and grind them right before brewing.

Swish

GMichael
10-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, not really cheap, but about half of what you would pay retail. Really. That's one of the benefits of owning a shop. In fact, we got some free samples of it in the past.

As for Kona, I do like it, but prefer Columbian Supremo and Sumatra Mandheling, the former being my staple with rich, strong flavor, and the latter have the smoothest taste with very low acidity. Highly recommend for those with weak stomaches.

Our main roaster is awesome. If we order today, he roasts it today and we have it tomorrow, and it's free shipping for 150 lbs. or more, and we always order more than that. I always have plenty of fresh beans at home and grind them right before brewing.

Swish

I do like the Columbian Supremo also. I don't remember if I've tried the Sumatra Mandheling.
So, where is this coffee shop of yours? East? West? North? South? PA is a big place. I'm as far east as you can go before crossing into NY or NJ. The place I buy my Kona is in a mall called The Tri-state Mall.

I do love a good cup of coffee.

Swish
10-05-2007, 12:29 PM
So, where is this coffee shop of yours? East? West? North? South? PA is a big place. I'm as far east as you can go before crossing into NY or NJ. The place I buy my Kona is in a mall called The Tri-state Mall.I do love a good cup of coffee.

...but it's in the town where I live, and most of the long-term members here know my home address from all the comp trading we've done in the past. It's probably about a 90+ minute drive from the NJ border via the turnpike or Route 78, so it's not like you can just drop in for a cup. We've owned it for over 6 years and bought it from the original owner who had it for just over 4 years. He was the first in our town and had a great location and a great idea, but he was not the sharpest as far a business goes, and he lacked the energy to make it into something special. We put a ton of $ back into it and made it into a great place for a quick breakfast or lunch. All kinds of new equipment, built out a real kitchen, new flooring, painting, you name it. Can you tell I'm proud? Ha!

Swish

kexodusc
10-05-2007, 12:55 PM
...but it's in the town where I live, and most of the long-term members here know my home address from all the comp trading we've done in the past. It's probably about a 90+ minute drive from the NJ border via the turnpike or Route 78, so it's not like you can just drop in for a cup. We've owned it for over 6 years and bought it from the original owner who had it for just over 4 years. He was the first in our town and had a great location and a great idea, but he was not the sharpest as far a business goes, and he lacked the energy to make it into something special. We put a ton of $ back into it and made it into a great place for a quick breakfast or lunch. All kinds of new equipment, built out a real kitchen, new flooring, painting, you name it. Can you tell I'm proud? Ha!

Swish

Lucky you Swish, that's great. Coffee is one of my other hobbies...if I had the benefits of economies of scale from owning my own shop, well, I'd probably never sleep and I'm sure I wouldn't run a profitable operation but..

Sumatran coffees I used to love, heavy body, almost like a nutty syrupy taste. With some of the disasters in the last few years I've found it harder to get, and not as good as years past, but it's been awhile since I've ordered it. Columbian Supremo - meh, nothing inspiring here - though the finest Columbian is well regarded. Most of Columbia's coffee is destined for Folgers tins or used as fill in blends. Sometimes with some fine white coffee grinds.

I recommend coffee clubs or buying from a roaster directly to anyone who really enjoys their coffee - you'll not only save money compared to buying at coffee shops, you can get a better brew with a bit of care most 17 year old employees can't offer. Or find your favorite little shop like Swishy's got here and get to know the owners.

I'm envious...:cool:

GMichael
10-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Swish

I'll brew a pot in your honor when I get home tonight. You should be proud. That's what doing things for yourself is all about.

GMichael
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Lucky you Swish, that's great. Coffee is one of my other hobbies...if I had the benefits of economies of scale from owning my own shop, well, I'd probably never sleep and I'm sure I wouldn't run a profitable operation but..

Sumatran coffees I used to love, heavy body, almost like a nutty syrupy taste. With some of the disasters in the last few years I've found it harder to get, and not as good as years past, but it's been awhile since I've ordered it. Columbian Supremo - meh, nothing inspiring here - though the finest Columbian is well regarded. Most of Columbia's coffee is destined for Folgers tins or used as fill in blends. Sometimes with some fine white coffee grinds.

I recommend coffee clubs or buying from a roaster directly to anyone who really enjoys their coffee - you'll not only save money compared to buying at coffee shops, you can get a better brew with a bit of care most 17 year old employees can't offer. Or find your favorite little shop like Swishy's got here and get to know the owners.

I'm envious...:cool:

Kex, know of any good roasters you could share?

kexodusc
10-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Kex, know of any good roasters you could share?
Well, none that are in your neck of the woods, maybe Swishy's got the inside track?

There was a pretty good mail-order one I used when I lived in Maine a few years back - I'll try and find their site. When I lived in Atlanta I used to just shop at a few places.

Here's a great website that should help you find one nearby.
http://www.lucidcafe.com/cafebystate/pennforum.html#roasters

Lot's of good info on his site - I have 2 of his books that I'd recommend if you're remotely intrested:
http://www.lucidcafe.com/aboutcoffee.html

I'm not as dedicated/fussy when it comes to roasters as most real connoisseurs, I just find one close by and deal with them - if you have a few options, try them all and stick with whoever treats you better.
If you're like me and only order a few pounds a month, some places almost couldn't be bothered with ya, while others treat you like you're their biggest client.

GMichael
10-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Well, none that are in your neck of the woods, maybe Swishy's got the inside track?

There was a pretty good mail-order one I used when I lived in Maine a few years back - I'll try and find their site. When I lived in Atlanta I used to just shop at a few places.

Here's a great website that should help you find one nearby.
http://www.lucidcafe.com/cafebystate/pennforum.html#roasters

Lot's of good info on his site - I have 2 of his books that I'd recommend if you're remotely intrested:
http://www.lucidcafe.com/aboutcoffee.html

I'm not as dedicated/fussy when it comes to roasters as most real connoisseurs, I just find one close by and deal with them - if you have a few options, try them all and stick with whoever treats you better.
If you're like me and only order a few pounds a month, some places almost couldn't be bothered with ya, while others treat you like you're their biggest client.

Thanks Kex,

I see a couple of places that aren't far.